Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Atari Space Riders Repair/Restoration.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Consider the silver hammer tone spray paint, looks really good & a cheap fix.

Yeah, that looks pretty good to me. I think I'm going to go that route. Except for the coin door. I'm gonna go with the black hammer-tone like I did with my Speed Race machine because it closely matches the colour that is on it already. As for the graphics on the cab, I'm leaning toward filling the chips with bog and then re-stenciling the the whole lot. It shouldn't be too hard to reproduce, it's just a yellow base with an orange and blue stencil on top. It's pretty easy to see to due to the soft edges on some of the graphics that this is how it was done back in 1978. I was thinking that I could lay down the yellow base, wait a week or 2 for it to cure properly, then use contact to cut the stencils, stick them on and respray graphics. I think that'll give much sharper lines than the original work. I want to have this thing in my lounge room so I do want it look as fresh and clean as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a little bit done this weekend, that being replacing the rubbers and globes along with cleaning up the play field.

IMG20190610142732.thumb.jpg.240fc9117cacb3e047913f3cce02d5ee.jpg

This is before I did anything, with shot rubbers and grime everywhere.

IMG20190610144659.thumb.jpg.21eca0784bfb1200ce9df42549352e97.jpg

Half way through replacing globes and rubbers.

IMG20190610144732.jpg.f7e23a7924715b9df0fbdeb55e8b831a.jpg

Play field plastics removed and ready for cleaning.

IMG20190610164546.thumb.jpg.8561605fc9fe50bad4d10168ff317f48.jpg

Globes replaced, plastics clean and reinstalled, fresh rubbers.

It all looks pretty good so far. I do have a few dead globes still. And more that are extremely intermittent. I think I going to have to go through every socket and try to rework them as best as I can. I'd say at least half of them are dodgy, they cut in and out if you even look their way.

I did manage to fix the 2 non-function playfield switches. The first, the right-hand kicker, was stuck closed circuit. A quick bending of the contacts sorted that. The other one, the centre drop-down target was traced to a dodgy micro-switch. I replaced that with one I salvaged out of a microwave years ago...

So the list of stuff that ain't working is shrinking,

All that's left is a few play field globes and the second coin switch.

dremel 443 brush in the socket.. give it a light bit of loving to take the tarnish off,

as for the rest of the socket i forget what type they are you but can solder most of the pressed ones.

post a pic of the socket ( from underside)

dremel 443 brush in the socket.. give it a light bit of loving to take the tarnish off,

as for the rest of the socket i forget what type they are you but can solder most of the pressed ones.

post a pic of the socket ( from underside)

964056336_IMG201906101746271.thumb.jpg.83529deabffe23a28e3d32d2f967038e.jpg

nice

clean the green corrosion off (B) ( dremel or small file) and solder the wire from the closest tab (A) to end ( B)

clean where the barrel meets the other tab and solder that as well. ©

essentially move wire A to point B, Solder C

sockets.jpg.3e29eb96ebd14b254947e667ad6e7f3d.jpg