Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Project: Shed to Games Room Conversion

Just got a quote:

Remove roller door.

Batten all walls inside with metal battens.

Supply and install metal grid ceiling.

Insulate all walls and ceiling.

Supply and install acoustic ceiling to ceiling grid, and plaster board to all walls.

Flush joins and sand.

Supply and install glass sliding door unit, 1 x fixed panel, 1 x sliding.

Supply and install skirting to floor and architraves around doorway.

Labour / Material

Inc G.S.T. $11,041.00

----------------------

I'm a bit in shock with this quote, did I accidentally ask for something exotic?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of this work is particularly hard. Try and find a local tradie who is happy to provide advice and step in when you are out of your depth.

Some of these steps anyone could do, which will reduce the price.

ie - remove the roller door, batten the walls and roof, install the insulation.

Surprisingly also, a lot of this will be materials. So as you have both sheds start hitting Gumtree and FB marketplace to look for left over building materials which you can store until your ready. I know when I did my shed conversion both the Sliding Door and window were second hand and therefore cheap. Also a lot of insulation installers will have part packs left over from a job. They throw them out as storage is the biggest issue.

Lastly it's not a house so a good handyman will be able to do it and be cheaper

Cheers guys, I understand this stuff isn't that hard and heaps of my mates are volunteering saying they can do this or that. I'm not worried I'm being scammed anymore but my wife wont like it.

Electrician came today and it'll be somewhere under $4k (as a loose estimate), including the air conditioning system.

I estimated $7k for everything so it's looking like it's double or nothing!

Just got a quote:

Remove roller door.

Batten all walls inside with metal battens.

Supply and install metal grid ceiling.

Insulate all walls and ceiling.

Supply and install acoustic ceiling to ceiling grid, and plaster board to all walls.

Flush joins and sand.

Supply and install glass sliding door unit, 1 x fixed panel, 1 x sliding.

Supply and install skirting to floor and architraves around doorway.

Labour / Material

Inc G.S.T. $11,041.00

----------------------

I'm a bit in shock with this quote, did I accidentally ask for something exotic?

And what cost $41.00 you would have thought at that price round down to $11000.

Turned out he stuffed up the quote and it's 10.1, he was doing another one that added up to 11.0.

I'm quite time poor right now, I need this done before summer. I probably should get more quotes and so on to save $500 or whatever but... I also want it to be a well done addition to the house, so I guess it's going to be fast and good not cheap and good.

• 1 month later...

Very nice work. It's amazing how good the humble tin shed can look aye. Insulation makes a big difference. I went two layers of sarking, 100mm gap between them for the roof and then the false ceiling. I used 3 ply plywood. You add it all up, the sarking is R2.5 a piece times 2 is R5 and then the plywood, about R2-3 and the total is R7 -R8. Walls are higher, twin sarking, and R4.5 insulation between with gyprok paneling about R2-R3 again and that total is about R12-13. Pretty extreme but we do get snow.

Thing is, it works a lot better keeping out heat in summer than holding it in in winter. Summer, it can be 32c outside in the shade but inside providing you keep the doors and windows closed, around 20c. Winter might be 0c outside but inside about 8c.

I wish I could throw in some double pail glass windows as well because the glass transfers the outside temperature extremely well. Unfortunately I have to make do with curtains which do work, just not nearly as well as double glass windows.

Not sure what insulation rating it was that went in, but it works well. 40-something degrees today in Mildura and standing in the shed was very much cooler.

Need to find a painter now, I have a virus and I'm in no condition to do it myself. Might get some mates and provide them with pizza, some beverages and some money for their time as every painter I ring atm is flat out.

• 2 weeks later...