Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Project: Shed to Games Room Conversion

Let me explain to you my crazy plan.

futureshed.jpg.c9b68ead2f508c6ef9422582d8ebd8a6.jpg

So this current shed will eventually be the games room/man cave. It's decently big, I hope to make good use out of it :) The dirt you can see next to it is the beginnings of building a 2nd shed right next to it. The ground was too wet and they were spinning wheels which wasn't very good for my lawn so they stopped to let the ground dry out. The concrete should be coming in next week.

So basically it will be the replacement shed, I will move all the stuff into it and then we start modifying the current shed :D

shed.thumb.jpg.f7c00a07844e909863bdb359335a5a2b.jpg

This shed has a whole lot of junk in it at the moment, my wife and I sort of used it as a dumping ground for all our stuff when we moved in. But those of you with keen eyes will spot some CRTs, I will also be keeping that table tennis set up in the final setup :)

So the plan is to insulate and drywall, put in an air conditioner/heating and put different flooring in.

Currently there's concrete, anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? What sort of floor should I be going for?

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the floor you can leave it just concrete or seal it with a polished acrylic coating.

You can install a floating wood floor.

You can carpet it in one piece or carpet squares or a vinyl floor.

It's really up to you.

Oh and it's not big enough, their never big enough:)

With the floor you can leave it just concrete or seal it with a polished acrylic coating.

You can install a floating wood floor.

You can carpet it in one piece or carpet squares or a vinyl floor.

It's really up to you.

Oh and it's not big enough, their never big enough:)

I didn't know about polished acrylic, thanks, what are the pros and cons of all of them?

Yeah I know it'll never be big enough, I've already filled it with the plans in my head!

• 2 weeks later...

Shed has a chance to be built before 2019, woo woo!

Fun exercise in thinking about setting up all the gear I've been collecting for years.

4x System 2x6 Gundam Seed Destiny 4P LAN setup, shared with a PS3-based Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost 4P LAN. Games are 480p and 720p, I will be getting 4x 1440p monitors for integer scale loveliness.

Some big TV I don't have yet for spectating Gundam and modern stuff.

Naomi/System 256 Setup. Fighting game focused setup :)

CPS3 Street Fighter 3 Third Strike

Neo Geo setup (Darksoft Multicart)

CPS2 Darksoft Multi

Retro-corner SNES, Saturn, Mega Drive, Playstation, Gamecube, Wii etc...

These 4 will be the "main CRT" setup with a fully automatic gscartsw/gcompsw setup, just press power and play.

PS2 based 2P Time Crisis 2/3 setup

16 Player Mariokart Double Dash LAN setup

Table Tennis

I think I'm full already :) Going to be some thinking to use all the space efficiently, not have the table tennis cramped and feel spacious.

Dream upgrade one day is to get a few candies in versus mode, superguns until then!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh man...

My wife has changed the deal! Now it's gotta be the new (smaller) shed.

Advantages:

Vertical Roller door is much more flush, will be easy to completely seal with some brushes at the top for no dust.

Ummm (I'm trying to remain positive here!) it'll be cheaper to insulate and lay some flooring?

Table tennis can stay in the other shed so I can fit in more gear.

Disadvantages:

IT'S SMALLER!!!! :(

Attached is a picture of the aftermath of a Mariokart LAN I had. Shelving will go to maximise space for gaming setups. I plan to have a couch and TV and then setups all around them.

D7AP0QcUEAA1K5X.thumb.jpg.73809bedd3cd7cd6c9751ea6be3f310c.jpg

Tell the missus she can decide what goes in the sheds if you can decide what goes in the house. Done and dusted.

As far as carpet goes, find a carpet place that overlocks cartpet offcuts.

I bought this one last week to replace the single mat i had (nother machine coming to fill the empty space) for $240 during the week and they delivered.

It was just an offcut they had at 3.6m x 4.1m and happened to fit the dimensions i wanted well enough. Carpet tiles will cost you much more for the equivalent m2 and be much less comfortable than a nice piece of carpet. Paint is expensive as buggery because of all the prep products.

There will be a place near you to do it for sure, negotiate for cash.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, forgot the image;

IMGP0135.jpg.3fb3a7ae8044e2012076a0408c10beb9.jpg

• Like 1

Just had a look, it looks like they are around $90-100 per 5m2. The carpet square i got was 14.76 m@ for $240. This is measured, cut and overlocked, no gluing, just lay it down.

Forgot to say that if that was my place i'd be putting a big carport over both sheds to keep the weather off them. It will be unbearably hot in summer and freezing in winter. May not be what you want for you and your friends or the tens of thousands of dollars of electronics you are planning to put in there.

Plan was to insulate the shed very well as well as drywall. It will be like a little house with a shed skin full of game setups. Will also be putting in an appropriate reverse cycle aircon.

Sheds go up against the fence so I can't really shade them.

We got really cold during that Mariokart LAN. We all kept going back to the firepit between rounds.

• 1 month later...

Bit of a mock/temporary layout, set up for a Halo LAN atm. Currently waiting on the CPS2 IO's to use as "superguns" for Gundam. Gear is not final and is just monitors/speakers I have lying around.

It will feel more spacious when I don't have shelving and stuff in the way. I can't wait until I can get a builder to transform this space.

IMG_20190701_131238465.thumb.jpg.1b17af19a9a68f35a7d0f8c0f5f90e8b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good news, wife suddenly said that we need to get this finished so all my equipment doesn't fry in the Mildura summer. I did not object! Getting a builder to come out soon to quote.

I expect the insulation and walling part to be rather quick and simple. But installing all the electrical is going to be where it hits the most, I want a powerful air conditioner, at least six double power points split over multiple circuits and some lights.

In other news, having a guys night Friday week, here is some current shots and I'll update with the setup I get going for the party. Currently setup for Virtual On, XBox system link stuff (Halo etc...) and Mariokart 8 LAN.

IMG_20190810_163605359.thumb.jpg.e058997be30449921566a9f7e95cbe25.jpg

IMG_20190810_163612521.thumb.jpg.e38d17fc9d6b7b032ecd529476adc263.jpg

Good luck with the build.

I'm no sparky but my mate is and when I did my first ever Gamesroom/Shed we went with a new circuit direct from the meter box to the shed. This involved a long trench of around 40 to 50 meters. Luckily I hired a trencher for this as it has to be 600 deep here in SA. Then in a sealed conduit. But that was all my mate. I did the trench. Then we installed a Sub board complete with safety switch.

Advantages if we blew/overloaded power in the shed the rest of the house was not affected :)

Safety in a metal shed should something go wrong in the future....

Worth the extra effort IMO

Good luck and keep posting :)