Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MAME comp

After Listening to what people have been saying and taking my own thoughts into account I am considering starting a series of MAME competitions

this is NOT CONNECTED TO THE MGL in any way shape or form and would be a slap happy snapshots only series.

Thing is there is no point in doing this if there is not enough interest so now is the time to speak up if you want to play

I have a plan and structure in mind but I also want to hear what you guys/girls want so please voice any ideas you might have

I'll play, but i couldn't do anything until mid July onwards, I'm packing up the mancave getting ready for an interstate move. I'd suggest a similar nomination/random selection method for choosing games. Limiting to a certain Era of games will count some gamers out.

Would like to see default dip settings used too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Maybe keeping it open to any version of mame might open it up to more players. I.e anyone that has a multi board could join in too.

Rather than limiting it to certain versions of mame, dip switch settings, etc.

Although someone could take advantage of that but shit if your gonna cheat it just takes all the fun away

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Maybe keeping it open to any version of mame might open it up to more players. I.e anyone that has a multi board could join in too.

Although someone could take advantage of that but shit if your gonna cheat it just takes all the fun away

any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels. dips can make a huge difference to a game.

i'm pretty sure multiboards like 60-1 are set to default dips anyways

any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels. dips can make a huge difference to a game.

i'm pretty sure multiboards like 60-1 are set to default dips anyways

Sure but I think a lot of multi boards don’t have soft dips, like pandora box? Not everyone is running mame on a pc, especially the casual gamers

I'd suggest a similar nomination/random selection method for choosing games. Limiting to a certain Era of games will count some gamers out.

Would like to see default dip settings used too.

So far It will be games selected by me from open nominations with no real restruction on year however I dont want to use any newer games that need anything more than a billy basic computer to run.

It will be factory dips.

Any version of MAME or multi board will be fine (so long as the dips can be set)

- - - Updated - - -

any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels.

Agreed

Sure but I think a lot of multi boards don’t have soft dips, like pandora box? Not everyone is running mame on a pc, especially the casual gamers

I thought the Pandoras box multi was just MAME with a front end anyway?

may have to look into that on a case by case bases

the goal is to be as inclusive as possible

the multiboards like 60-1 rrun at mame defaults, that's why defaults is the best choice to include everyone.

Don't agree with one person selecting the games, that leaves too much bias in what games are played. Unless you want to make a comp just for post-1985 games, then i'm out, i got no interest in those games.

.Don't agree with one person selecting the games, that leaves too much bias in what games are played. Unless you want to make a comp just for post-1985 games, then i'm out, i got no interest in those games.

Originally I did want to run games from just 85 to 95 but that is not what people want so it will be open

Ill ask for nominations in a certain theme and the games with the most nominations will be picked.

this will probably be done in an dedicated thread to keep it all transparent.

Originally I did want to run games from just 85 to 95 but that is not what people want so it will be open

Ill ask for nominations in a certain theme and the games with the most nominations will be picked.

this will probably be done in an dedicated thread to keep it all transparent.

Yep good idea to keep it open rather than restrict to certain years.

I like the idea of nominations posted in a thread rather than pm in private, transparency is key

Good on you loki4101 for volunteering to run a casual comp :)

After the debate in the other thread ATM I am now thinking the following.

If the MGL were to change in the next series of comps to include Pro and Casual as suggested by Barra then there would probably be not much point holding a separate casual comp as everyone would be catered for already. Hopefully OOO will give some input about the future direction of the MGL before a casual comp is decided upon or started.

If the MGL stays as it is now with TG dips etc then I would be interested in a casual comp, I prefer the "Golden Era" of games and I am less interested in later games.

My personal opinion is that if the casual comp does happen then it should be called the MGL and OOO's comp could be the World CAG Titles or something? that's just what I think because the MGL has always been casual, if it doesn't happen then no big deal I suppose.

I thought OOO has already stated he has no intention of changing the current MGL comp. At least that’s the way his post reads in the other thread

I dunno, the way I read it was that he had no intention of changing the "current" MGL as it was already underway, but I felt that meant there might be consideration towards changing future MGLs as some had been asking for INPs etc.

If the MGL were to change in the next series of comps to include Pro and Casual as suggested by Barra then there would probably be not much point holding a separate casual comp as everyone would be catered for already.

My personal opinion is that if the casual comp does happen then it should be called the MGL and OOO's comp could be the World CAG Titles or something? that's just what I think because the MGL has always been casual, if it doesn't happen then no big deal I suppose.

If the MGL is changed to include a "casual" section then I agree there is no point to this. And I will shut it down.

This is and always will be completely separate from the MGL (if there is enough interest to even do it)

I thought OOO has already stated he has no intention of changing the current MGL comp. At least that’s the way his post reads in the other thread

That is the impression I also got.

I think the main thing right now is to fill a void for casual players in an easier format, what it's called at the moment doesn't really matter imo. But sure, creating a subsection under MGL would make sense for this casual comp so mame competition can be found in the same area.

Also, i want to take back what i said about post '85 games ☺ be good to broaden my arcade horizons and play stuff that I've never considered.

Thing is there is no point in doing this if there is not enough interest

I doubt this will be an issue, most of the MGL players will probably give it a go.

One thing I never liked about the MGL is the ban of any games that don't use joysticks and buttons. There are loads of great games that use trackballs/spinners/wheels that play great with a mouse in MAME. I'd like to see an 'anything goes' stance to nominating games in this comp.

At this stage Im not to sure how much interest there is as only 4 people have said they will play.

The only problem I see with using games with non joystick controls is that the games we play will need to be able to be played on joysticks as I know at least a few players use cabinets

That we will have to look at on a game by game basis

Im thinking if this goes ahead that I might enlist a couple of people for game checking things like that

I doubt this will be an issue, most of the MGL players will probably give it a go.

One thing I never liked about the MGL is the ban of any games that don't use joysticks and buttons. There are loads of great games that use trackballs/spinners/wheels that play great with a mouse in MAME. I'd like to see an 'anything goes' stance to nominating games in this comp.

This is a great idea, there are many spinner or wheel games like turbo, pole position I'd love to play in a comp. People can work out their own best way of playing them... I know turbo and pole position are very playable with joystick and buttons. would love to give battle zone, traditionally a 2 stick game a comp Crack too ☺

There's 5-6 as i count it, and once things get underway off others will play or poke a head in now and again.

An all arcade eras, no controls restriction comp played at mame defaults? Sounds pretty awesome.

If it is done as game of the week/month style comp then it doesn't matter how popular it is or if people want spinners etc etc just some people will play some games and some wont. It will be just another way of sharing our love of the games :)

Ok here is a thought.

What if it was not a group of games run over a bunch of weeks but as @Rat says more of a game of the week club type where we just do one and done?

say a week for nominations then a week to play and post a score?