Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Our Canberra holiday

I drove 1,786km to Canberra and back having a great time, The War museum is amazing, saw the Mint, the deep space center, the glass blowing shop, ect, We got an invite to sit in the reserved Speakers Gallery for Question time, God they are just big kids mucking up..:lol

Luck happened to us as on the day we were there they unveiled Julia Gillard's new portrait. It's so different to all the other stiff regimented styles. Anyway I caught the magic moment on my camera from the second level looking down.

That war Museum is amazing, we went to canbera for the first time last year, thought I would check out the war memorial which is amazing,and ended up in the war museum and thought it would be smaller, But it was bloody huge. We didnt get enough time to see the entire place before closing time. to read everything it requires two days.

the plane Exhibit was so awesome, mind blowing really.

The war Memorial with the stained glass windows is so cool, and the birds flying around making their noises bouncing off the dome ceiling gives this ghostly sound and feel. really amazing place to visit.

as for the portrait, The guide was saying she was refusing to have hers done, I guess she has finally agreed to it, Rudd has also refused

While Im not a fan of either of those two, I thought Its silly they dont follow tradition and have theirs up with the rest. So glad they managed to get her to have one up

However Im not sure how I feel about that portrait, I do like the idea of the more traditional style Like every one else, well every one except the abstract Gough Whitlam portrait lol, but that has a great story behind it so that fits in an odd kind of way. Hers looks huge also compared to the others, Looks more like an election A-frame image than a official portrait, its a bit showboat looking IMO

I do like tradition and there is some really well done portraits on that wall.

I would have loved to have seen question time, sadly parliament wasnt in the day we went.

From what I've read on this piece Gillard asked for the portrait to be from the neck up only, so it removes fashion from the picture. I'm not a fan of Gillard or any politics but i am a fan of art and this is a great portrait I reckon.

Apparantly, one of Gillard's pet peeves was people always commenting on what she was wearing, where the blokes never draw those kind of comments.

One of the advantages of the anonymous suit and tie look, i suppose.

From what I've read on this piece Gillard asked for the portrait to be from the neck up only, so it removes fashion from the picture. I'm not a fan of Gillard or any politics but i am a fan of art and this is a great portrait I reckon.

Apparantly, one of Gillard's pet peeves was people always commenting on what she was wearing, where the blokes never draw those kind of comments.

One of the advantages of the anonymous suit and tie look, i suppose.

Not sure what you mean:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/nov/17/male-tv-presenter-same-suit-year-female-colleagues-judged

Pollie pictures, I see it this way. They weren't even good enough for there own party so why a picture each?. Why not a combined picture with maybe Julia and Kevin holding hands for example?.

How about seeing as they only did half a job each maybe share the ridiculous PM Pension as well or better still, seeing as the party thought they weren't good enough, there own party pay them there pension they each think they deserve.

Same for the other side I share this same opinion. If it was the party that paid those that they throw out, they might just think twice about changing leaders instead of allowing us to kick there sorry arses out of the place.

There, I feel much better now, carry on.

Not sure what you mean:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/nov/17/male-tv-presenter-same-suit-year-female-colleagues-judged

Yer

Or this one lol

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/how-malcolm-turnbull-killed-tony-abbotts-blue-tie-fashion-legacy-20150915-gjngg8.html

an even better example.

https://www.afr.com/opinion/columnists/australia-heading-in-right-direction-with-malcolm-turnbulls-wardrobe-20150930-gjxxde

Much was made about this attire over the years also

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/pm-stands-by-his-work-uniform-blue-ties-20150215-13f3no.html

could go on for along time to show other examples Including Budgie smuglers, Bike riding gear, Fireman suits and everything else the media liked to comment on every 5minutes, So she really was crying about nothing as many high profile males had comments made about their attire and often in more inflammatory ways than she ever coped.

I think my biggest problem with Gillard was her victim Mentality. I wouldnt be surprised if her choice of a none traditional Portrait was an attempt to drum up more of it by being provocative with her choice, people talk about its style because its so different compared to past Portraits and then she can play the victim a little more.

the portrait it self isnt bad, it just isnt that traditional Like previous Portraits In parliament house.

Pollie pictures, I see it this way. They weren't even good enough for there own party so why a picture each?.

because they were all Prime ministers and there is a tradition that has been around a very long time of hanging a portrait of Ex PM's.

We cant just scrub them from history because we think they weren't much good. Like them or not, they should have their portrait along side every other past PM.

Other wise who is the Authority to dictate who is worthy of having their own Portrait? there has also never been a criteria that excluded short term Pms or Prime Ministers who were removed in the past.

the portraits do have a plaque below them that shows when and how long their term or terms in government were so I dont see much point in shared portraits.

There has been a few PM's who have been Pm on two or more separate occasions, also many with short terms in Australias History and they have their portraits hung. It is history after all, even not personally being a fan Of Gillard, still would have been interesting to witness the Hanging of her Portrait for history alone as @Gemini2544 was lucky to see.

certainly for us political nerds lol

Edited by jason1

In her speech Julia said her friend advised her to do it while she's still young! It was explained to her better to have a young look now than get the portrait painted when she's much much older. The comment got a good laugh! :laugh:

I also was over whelmed by the size of the War Museum, & that Japaneses mini submarine was a lot bigger than I expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow your keen, I have a mate that watches it all unfold on the telly, sounds like you had a blast.

We didn't go just for the pollies, Leanne & I had never been to Canberra & thought we would tick it off our bucket list. Seeing Julia's portrait unveiling was just shear luck picking which day to visit Parliament house.

Saw on the news there is a new german ww1 tank going in there to mark the end of ww1. Would like to see that oneday.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I wonder if that's Mephisto? It has lived at the QLD Museum for ages, but got removed due to renovations. I used to love seeing it as a kid.

In her speech Julia said her friend advised her to do it while she's still young! It was explained to her better to have a young look now than get the portrait painted when she's much much older. The comment got a good laugh! :laugh:

I also was over whelmed by the size of the War Museum, & that Japaneses mini submarine was a lot bigger than I expected.

- - - Updated - - -

We didn't go just for the pollies, Leanne & I had never been to Canberra & thought we would tick it off our bucket list. Seeing Julia's portrait unveiling was just shear luck picking which day to visit Parliament house.

How good was that landcaster bomber? man that was amazing seeing that thing hanging up there.

The museum was so well setup, I really wish I had of known its size before entering, so I could have given my self more time to see the entire thing. I spent 6 hours there and kicked out at closing and I had no chance of seeing it all. I honestly thought it was going tobe a 1-2hour thing at the most. Unlucky for us Canberra was just a day trip So i will have to go back one day.

How far did you get through it? did you see it all?

How good was that landcaster bomber? man that was amazing seeing that thing hanging up there.

The museum was so well setup, I really wish I had of known its size before entering, so I could have given my self more time to see the entire thing. I spent 6 hours there and kicked out at closing and I had no chance of seeing it all. I honestly thought it was going tobe a 1-2hour thing at the most. Unlucky for us Canberra was just a day trip So i will have to go back one day.

How far did you get through it? did you see it all?

We spent the day from opening to an 1/2 hour before closing. We did it all, however I felt brain dead at the end, it really needs two days to do it comfortably. Here's your bomber...Damed thing was too big for my flash..:(