Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pinball prices

Gday Guys

i found a memo of what the pinball were selling back in the 80's to operators.

Big different in prices back then to compare what they are worth at the current market now...:lol

Ps excuse fingers in the photos...:lol

IMG_2775.thumb.jpg.553f52030f6be49d98f87212003a1a05.jpg

IMG_2776.thumb.jpg.eb3a1d317c96925d09b835fed28093f7.jpg

IMG_2777.thumb.jpg.b16673d2d116a03cc489a1e1f763b8c3.jpg

IMG_2778.thumb.jpg.88e0de89cb142838d0c9bdf295bde735.jpg

IMG_2779.thumb.jpg.c3127d126c1de9fc37d2a6f6da17a6d9.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar to today’s prices for a LE is the Globetrotters [emoji1]

And a used Kiss in 1979 cost ~$11,849.37 in 2017 dollars.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it was what? 20 cents a game? That's $1.85 or so these days.

No matter which way you paint it today’s prices are still f@#ked up especially when some 90s Bally / Williams machines are double the price of a new Stern

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The values we place on these items is inflated. For some it's the price of entertainment, for others its an income. Either way with limited stock and high demand come expensive pinballs as income is no longer derived soley from onsite operations.

Yes all relative I guess.

1979 - new machine was $2650 ($12,314 today)

2018 - new machine $8350/$8450 (Stern Pro)

That's not bad at all. More than happy to pay this for a new Pro.

$2650 for a machine in 1979 that made you $200 in 20cent pieces a week so 13 weeks and it has paid for itself as opposed to today $8350 for a machine that is prominently made for the home market that in the home market will never make $200 in it's life.

That is the BIG difference. In 1979 they were a money making machine making you profit after around 4 months.

Big difference a machine making money like a poker machine as opposed to a piece of entertainment furniture for a house.

You really need to compare what a new Stern would earn today per week if it was sited, and how long it would take to pay for itself and also take into consideration it is now $1 per play.

2nd hand pinballs in those days had paid back the owner many times over but these days machine never pay for themselves therefore when the owner these days sells a machine he is after his money back.

My argument is if today's machines aren't machines to "print money" any longer, why would the price be of current machines be so high in the first place?

You really need to compare what a new Stern would earn today per week if it was sited, and how long it would take to pay for itself and also take into consideration it is now $1 per play.

Every new stern I've seen on site has been $2 a play.

My argument is if today's machines aren't machines to "print money" any longer, why would the price be of current machines be so high in the first place?

I don't follow your logic. Just because it isn't made to print money anymore doesn't mean it costs less to produce. I'd argue the opposite, because return on investment is no longer the driver for the majority of purchasers, the driver for the manufacturer to keep the price low is gone.

When Williams, Bally, Gottlieb were all vying for the operator dollar they had to be able to show that the machine could pay for itself quicker than their competitors. Now it just has to look pretty.

Every new stern I've seen on site has been $2 a play.

I don't follow your logic. Just because it isn't made to print money anymore doesn't mean it costs less to produce. I'd argue the opposite, because return on investment is no longer the driver for the majority of purchasers, the driver for the manufacturer to keep the price low is gone.

I would argue it is substantially cheaper to produce a pinball these days. In the 70s there was no China making parts cheap. All parts were totally American made using American wood, American steel, American electronics.

Simply changing to LEDs made by Sun Nong King as opposed to light bulbs made by General Electric is a massive saving.

Wood made in Indonesian is substantially cheaper than American forest sourced wood.

Electronics made in China is substantially cheaper than Silicon Valley sourced parts.

LCD displays made in China are substantially cheaper than custom plasma displays made in America by companies like Honeywell.

Modern pinballs are the price they are because they know they can get away with that price they charge.