VIC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Australia

CRT tv to arcade

Hi,

What prerequisites does a crt tv need to have to be suitable for a conversion?

Is there any models one should steer clear from? Eg. LG flatiron or what not

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1367 Post(s)
    Australia
    If you're buying a universal chassis to hook up to a TV tube, the following are standard rules to stick to.

1) Avoid Sony Trinitrons, they have a weird neck setup that often makes them incompatible with universal chassis.

2) Avoid 'pure flat' tubes if you can. They are more difficult to get working with universal chassis. It can be done, but I've been advised by Jomac in the past that they can be a pain in the ass, especially when 26 inches and above.

3) Go for something from the mid to late 90s that has a curved tube. I have used the following branded tubes with no issues, NEC, Samsung and Panasonic.

You could always RGB mod a TV chassis, but that's a lot more difficult then buying a universal chassis. Quite a few people on here to RGB mods though, so you can always find out more info. If you do an RGB mod, none of the above rules apply, as you will be using the existing TV chassis and modding it to accept RGB input from whatever arcade setup you plan to hook up to it.

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by namastepat View Post
    If you're buying a universal chassis to hook up to a TV tube, the following are standard rules to stick to.

1) Avoid Sony Trinitrons, they have a weird neck setup that often makes them incompatible with universal chassis.

2) Avoid 'pure flat' tubes if you can. They are more difficult to get working with universal chassis. It can be done, but I've been advised by Jomac in the past that they can be a pain in the ass, especially when 26 inches and above.

3) Go for something from the mid to late 90s that has a curved tube. I have used the following branded tubes with no issues, NEC, Samsung and Panasonic.

You could always RGB mod a TV chassis, but that's a lot more difficult then buying a universal chassis. Quite a few people on here to RGB mods though, so you can always find out more info. If you do an RGB mod, none of the above rules apply, as you will be using the existing TV chassis and modding it to accept RGB input from whatever arcade setup you plan to hook up to it.
    Thanks for that mate

State
    Canberra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I talked to Joey a couple of months ago and he told me that Jomac doesn't have any SI universal chassis left. They have some 2nd hand Wei-ya chassis and other stuff, but you'll need to make sure your tube suits.

After that I got a few cheapo chassis from China and they're OK, but not as good as the SI chassis were/are.

Note that it is getting hard to find anybody that sells generic arcade chassis anymore. "factory closed" was heard often.

Hoard your good quality CRTs.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1367 Post(s)
    Australia
    Yep, no Sharp Image from Joey. A sad time indeed.

The tubepocalypse is approaching.

I'll be protecting my CRT stash like a dragon protects his gold 🙂

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Australia
    Yep, no Sharp Image from Joey. A sad time indeed.

The tubepocalypse is approaching.

I'll be protecting my CRT stash like a dragon protects his gold ��
    The last man standing will have to throw arcade parties

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Australia

Letís say I decide to go the LCD route. Would a 5:4 ratio be a no go because I found a couple that sync from 24khz itís the lowest I could find at 19Ē

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1367 Post(s)
    Australia
    Are you planning on using genuine boards with the machine? The large majority of arcade boards sync at 15khz, only a select few games sync at 24khz like Model 2 stuff and other 90s games. If you're using an LCD, you'd need to be coupling it with a VGA to 15khz converter and results on those vary wildly.

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Australia

Are you planning on using genuine boards with the machine? The large majority of arcade boards sync at 15khz, only a select few games sync at 24khz like Model 2 stuff and other 90s games. If you're using an LCD, you'd need to be coupling it with a VGA to 15khz converter and results on those vary wildly.
    I will be running 15khz boards

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1367 Post(s)
    Australia
    Then it's CRT or LCD with a converter. They used to make 19inch LCDs that synced down to 15khz, but they were expensive, like 300-400. Not sure if you can still get them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information