Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

System 11 - single flipper stuck up

RaoulJuke

Question

Got an Issue with my GL machine where the top left flipper on the mini play field is stuck in the up position. When the machine is off, its down. When the machine is on, but not in a game - its down. As soon as I start a credit however, that 1 flipper (top, left) goes up and gets stuck in that position. All other flippers remain down.

Anyone familiar with this issue & how to best trouble shoot it?

I did speak to someone about this at the recent Houseball @ Manto's - however, my memory of that day is rather sketchy and i cannot recall any of the suggested work arounds.:cheers:

7 answers to this question

EDIT: Wait, it's a flipper, it can't lock on like that and if it does, it's not going to burn out due to the EOS. Sorry, I was remembering my locked on Firepower solenoid and equating it in the same way to flippers, but that won't work. Check the button and switch as AK said and ignore my below advice.

Solenoid is locking on by the sounds of it. It powers when the machine is powered, but won't engage until starting a game, then it engages and locks on. Do not leave it on for long like that or it will burn out your solenoid, although it should blow fuses before it does that.

When the flipper goes up, can you hear the lock on buzzing of a solenoid? Have you checked under the playfield to see what the solenoid is doing when you start a game? Someone with a crap ton more knowledge than I have will be able to tell you what transistor/resistor/diode has shorted that is causing the lock on, but that's well above my pay grade.

Man, I just ****ing love this website and community - you guys were 100% correct. The 2nd EOS on the left button had gotten stuck together. A little re-adjusting of the switches and its working again. I had checked the EOS on the flipper mech but hadn't thought to check the 2nd switch on the button.

Thanks @Arcade King & @namastepat - so happy its working again - you rock

Just a terminology thing, the cabinet flipper switches are not End Of Stroke (EOS) switches. Even though they look similar and they're also high voltage on a system 11, they do a different job, connecting the coil to ground rather than disabling the power winding when the flipper reaches the end of its stroke.

• Administrators

Glad you sorted it.

The arcing in those flipper switches can fuse them together over time, sounds like yours just needed adjustment :)

There's not a lot to the way flippers work prior to solid state flipper boards.

When you start a game its basically a relay getting activated which completes the ground to the flipper switches and when you hold the button down it grounds the coils energising them which opens the eos cutting the power to the main winding of the coil leaving the hold winding activated.

A few other common issues are overheating coils due to EOS incorrectly adjusted and stuck closed, locked on coils due to stuck flipper button and switches and flippers not working because of blown fuses, dirty and incorrectly adjusted EOS or coil just incorrectly wired.