Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Prices

Mick80

Sorry for upsetting the investors out there, but I remember when restoring cars was an actual hobby to be enjoyed between (usually trades employed at less than $50K PA) friends and family (I.E. fathers and sons) rather than another financial pursuit for cashed up university level experts who were keen on fattening their pockets.

In 2007 these prices were nowhere near what they are now:

http://www.americanused.com.au/

And don't give me that crap about rarity or scarcity, they are only rare and scarce because a new breed of fancier (investors) stuck their noses in the hobby.

Tell it like it is Friday!!

Yup that is so true

Ive been in car clubs for years, and some the prices and ways cars have been inflated is extremely questionable.

I know for a fact collectors and clubs inflate prices, have seen and been part of car club conversations where they have openly talked about tactics on how they were inflating prices. Turning cars worth $2k into cars worth $30k with in 6 months.

and the most common way was for the group pumping prices was to buy a few of the same cars, a few members would post cars for crazy prices, eg a car that would sell for $3k normally, a few guys would list online on sites like ebay, carsales, gumtree and so on for stupid amounts like $50k knowing they were not going to sell it at that price, but knowing then it would get spread around the forums and car clubs, laughed at by members, but other members would like little sheep list their cars for $30k lol, all the sudden that was the new price, every one thought their $3k car which was not typically a sort after model is now worth $30k but not only that would also start buying up every car of that model and the prices get pumped.

. I left my last club because as it became apparent it was all about the money with these newage car club people. I hate car clubs for this very reason, Allot of members get played and not even realize they are being played.

It is really easy in a club situation to pump car prices collectively. Especially a hand full of the most prominent members collectively start the pumped prices rolling and every one follows along like sheep.

I cannot stand car clubs, they are now full of greedy people out to make money not enjoy cars. most members now have no skills at being able to restore a car them selves, but have plenty of ability to make money.

Sadly many of these people dont stop with cars, they move onto other hobbies, the tighter the community the easier it is to exploit.

Ive worked on car for as long as i can remember and right now my wife and I are looking for a project the both of us can enjoy, even the price increase in just the last 2 years is insane, a car I looked at 2 years ago for 3k and didnt buy, then strangely enough the same car again 6 months after that, 3k again both times overpriced came up for sale again 2 months ago and had half a dozen people fighting over it at 5k...just insane

Yup that is so true

Ive been in car clubs for years, and some the prices and ways cars have been inflated is extremely questionable.

I know for a fact collectors and clubs inflate prices, have seen and been part of car club conversations where they have openly talked about tactics on how they were inflating prices. Turning cars worth $2k into cars worth $30k with in 6 months.

and the most common way was for the group pumping prices was to buy a few of the same cars, a few members would post cars for crazy prices, eg a car that would sell for $3k normally, a few guys would list online on sites like ebay, carsales, gumtree and so on for stupid amounts like $50k knowing they were not going to sell it at that price, but knowing then it would get spread around the forums and car clubs, laughed at by members, but other members would like little sheep list their cars for $30k lol, all the sudden that was the new price, every one thought their $3k car which was not typically a sort after model is now worth $30k but not only that would also start buying up every car of that model and the prices get pumped.

. I left my last club because as it became apparent it was all about the money with these newage car club people. I hate car clubs for this very reason, Allot of members get played and not even realize they are being played.

It is really easy in a club situation to pump car prices collectively. Especially a hand full of the most prominent members collectively start the pumped prices rolling and every one follows along like sheep.

I cannot stand car clubs, they are now full of greedy people out to make money not enjoy cars. most members now have no skills at being able to restore a car them selves, but have plenty of ability to make money.

Sadly many of these people dont stop with cars, they move onto other hobbies, the tighter the community the easier it is to exploit.

Sounds exactly like what is happening in the pinball and arcade communities

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It shits me to tears

An old bloke who I did my apprenticeship with always said to me " I've never seen a hearse with a strong box attached". I've been to a good share of funerals as everyone on here probably has and I've never forgotten that saying. Money only gets you so far. Time spent with people counts for more. Why live your life as though money is forever? Look at Michael Jackson, Prince, George Michael, Michael Hutchence etc etc etc. They could have anything, any lady, any holiday etc. They're gone and we're alive. Investments don't exist! It's just greed!

so the investors can't invest in cars, pinball , etc etc

what do they invest in !

- - - Updated - - -

It shits me to tears

An old bloke who I did my apprenticeship with always said to me " I've never seen a hearse with a strong box attached"

and that's why people buy shit , you call it investing i call it living and enjoying life

The thing with people saying there are no cheap cars anymore aren't thinking outside the box, newer Australian made v8's are cheap(ish) and plentiful at the moment

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/merewether-heights/cars-vans-utes/2006-ford-xr8-automatic-/1185079224

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/newcastle/cars-vans-utes/vx-ss-holden-commodore-auto-5-7ltr/1197944602

so the investors can't invest in cars, pinball , etc etc

what do they invest in !

- - - Updated - - -

and that's why people buy shit , you call it investing i call it living and enjoying life

Living and enjoying life is what people used todo, working enough to put food on the table but still afford you plenty of time with the family todo meaningful things with them.

the rest is just bullshit, including the whole Money money money investment thing.

Sounds corny but its f--ken true.

The younger generation live for today they do not hesitate to be in debit to their eyeballs but do not understand long term. This generation cannot afford a house, car and splash on an investment like a collectable car unless a hefty inheritance is coming. Old cars need maintenance so if your willing to just open your wallet every time you need a repair you`ll never get ahead.

Yes I do agree that cars especially collectable cars are overpriced, a mock up XY GT is going for $100K.

My old man is in the veteran car club

Hes not out to get the fastest or fanciest cars. Atm hes buying up old vauxualls,mg ect they are cheap and usually come with a spare parts car or 3 lol

Just lots of old steel built for casual cruise around like a pair of old farts.

The younger generation live for today they do not hesitate to be in debit to their eyeballs but do not understand long term. This generation cannot afford a house, car and splash on an investment like a collectable car unless a hefty inheritance is coming. Old cars need maintenance so if your willing to just open your wallet every time you need a repair you`ll never get ahead.

Yes I do agree that cars especially collectable cars are overpriced, a mock up XY GT is going for $100K.

You've got to wonder if Ford and Holden considered dragging out the old presses (or probably having to re-make them) and started making XY/XW Falcons and Monaros again. Considering the market seems so large they could have been on to something. We'll never know.