Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sega Galaxy 1973.

I found this Sega machine today. I never knew Sega Japan made EMs but apparently they did and with innovation in them as well.

Check out this video but advance to 1.40 in the video clip and see if you are as amazed as I was when I saw what this 1973 EM did.

Interesting playfield but it was the mechs that had me interested.

http://www.ipdb.org/images/979/image-2.jpg

Look at the slingshot and bumper mechs..

http://www.ipdb.org/images/979/image-10.jpg

But it was this one that got me. This is exactly what I was looking at doing with flipper coils to keep the holdup winding heat away from the pullup winding in the one coil but it looks like Sega did it years ago. 15 years ago actually.

It won't put me off. What I thought was a good idea with merit looks like I wasn't the only one so therefore well worth trying on a modern pinball.

http://www.ipdb.org/images/979/image-11.jpg

It seems Sega thought closed in cradle relays in sockets was a better way to also. I seem to remember suggesting those for the continuous duty ones used on the EMs we are used to see here.

http://www.ipdb.org/images/979/image-13.jpg

Just out of curiosity, has the Jap old pinball market supplys been ratted?.

I would suspect pinball wasn't huge in Japan but this shows they were there and not only imported American ones, they had there own local made units.

Looking at this video and what this machine had as features makes me think there may be some Jap pinballs worthy of collecting and it looks like the Segas were using English markings unlike the German and Italian machines which is another plus as well as the most obvious, Japs don't smash up and abuse machines so they would be in outstanding condition if they survived the time.

Yeah that’s pretty cool sega was always ahead of the rest. The split coil design was also used in some wood rail games but I can’t remember what games I seen them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that’s pretty cool sega was always ahead of the rest. The split coil design was also used in some wood rail games but I can’t remember what games I seen them on.

Ow OK. Split coil, now I know what to call it. My thinking was it would allow for thicker winding, (larger gauge), winding for the pullup where it is required, at the start and middle of the plunger stoke and the holdup winding right at the end of the stroke were it is only required.

As it is on flipper coils now, both windings are mixed together along the whole length of the coil.

To disadvantages I can see are the windings are both adding to the heat build up in the coil mainly from the holdup winding after all you don't get a lot of heat out of a bumper coil do you?

That indicated to me most of the heat must be coming from the holdup winding. If I was to concentrate the holdup winding all at one end like done on a split coil, it will make for a stronger holdup winding with less heat a bit like a coin lockout coil.

I say a stronger holdup because while it may use exactly the same amount of windings as a standard flipper coil does for the holdup winding, it isn't spaced out. It would be all together much like a coin lockout coil on the front door is.

The same can be said for the pullup winding. No smaller winding mixed in with it so it should be a stronger magnet field created as well.

Seeing as the holdup winding, because it is concentrated solely at one end of the coil should allow for less power required to still hold up the flipper, I should be right to add more windings to it which itself will cut down on the power required and therefore the heat.

That's the theory anyway.