Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Swapping out joystick: beginner's question

Beginner's question:

I swapped out one of the default joysticks on my X-Arcade TankStick with a Sanwa JLW ball top and an adaptor plate.

All went well, on the surface, and I love the Sanwa.

But I've had to use electrical tape to secure the crimp terminals to the prongs on the Sanwa microswitches; otherwise the terminals just slide off.

I tried tightening the terminals with longnose plyers, etc, but couldn't get it to lock on to the prong again, like it did with the original joystick.

IMO the electrical tape, I hope is just temporary and you will change the terminals on your loom to suit the Sanwa terminals.

Have you got any pics?

Are they not gripping due to thickness/width?

Surely someone on here will be able to provide the correct terminal part number and/or offer places to get them.

When you say 'prongs' do you have male spade terminals or edge connector type?

Good Luck!

The original must have been bigger male fittings than your new one, you could either get smaller female fittings or crimp the original ones to close on your new microswitches

Thanks.

I did try and tighten the female fitting with the longnose pliers but didn't work and din't want to try too hard in case I broke something.

I take it you need a proper crimp tool?

Nah no special tool you would just need to squash it, it's not that ideal thing to do, your best to measure and buy the correct size female fitting to suit and then cut old ones and wire up new terminals.

Nah no special tool you would just need to squash it, it's not that ideal thing to do, your best to measure and buy the correct size female fitting to suit and then cut old ones and wire up new terminals.

Cool, thanks for the help.

Good to make all your mistakes on the TankStick before tackling a cab!