Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Federal Flip Frenzy! - PORT PIRIE - 2019

Hi there Ray, I've been on the fence about going due to dislocating my knee a few weeks ago but I'm committed now. Count me in for all 4 comps!

Cheers, Tom

Great to hear you can make it mate!

As a good insurance policy, but also as entertainment for all... do we get to see all your games played standing on one leg? :P :D

pm sent

At least it’s not your beloved Elektra!

Great work Ray and co.

Wish I could go but I’m out unfortunately.

Have a ball guys

That's a bummer...

At least you will have another chance to win one of these at the Pinball Challenge in October-ish ;)

1786494868_2019-04-1019_16_10.png.9ed1961a5fc076a6e508f4f0c525006d.png

Came down from Canberra and just have to say thank you to everyone at the event. It was a great time with everyone being so helpful and friendly I hope more people from the East coast realise how great the SA pinball community is. Big props to Ray for making that flip frenzy trophy, setting the bar really high for pinball silverware. Hopefully will get to be back on the other side in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! ... aren't pinball gatherings just the Best Thing Ever!

I thought it would be good to write a bit to close off the 2019 Federal Flip Frenzy, there is plenty to write about, and an enjoyable weekend of pinball seemed to be had by all :D

First off I'd like to highlight all the local pinheads whom contributed their beloved machines to be played in the tournaments. They know who they are, and without them the lineup would have significantly less diversity, and be much smaller. I do contribute alot of the games, but still would not be able to put it together alone. It is a team effort. So thank you to all of the 4P collective!

Without the additional help from @digger and Joylene we would not be able to run the flip frenzy the way we did, so from all the players I send out a big thanks as well! . Also Berto, Aidan and Jarvis, new local players who stood out of the Flip Frenzy to be the independent overseers. For some time now an IT friend of mine has been working on a Flip Frenzy Console, a program to manage FF. It predates the rule changes and will manage FF of the Classic Format. Hopefully for bowland this will have had a dry run and be ready for testing in the tournament. Also hopefully with live streaming and recording, overseers won't be needed either. This is a plan but can not be confirmed as yet. A single round head to head tournament may even be substituted. All yet to be decided.

People sometimes ask me why I put my games in tournaments to be subjected to wear and tear, or potentially damaging abuse, and damage from transporting. For me it's a no brainer, but I might try to provide some of my general thoughts here. I consider myself fairly new to pinball (<5yrs), and the short story is I now have a small collection, which I get enjoyment from playing and from seeing others enjoying playing. Also being a technician I get enjoyment from getting games working well, and in some cases probably back from the grave. I don't get much playing practice, my main playing strength is knowing the rules of the games I have to keep functioning properly! .... which doesn't help that much when you struggle to make the shots consistently :lol

I watched a video recently which had the kind of punchline in it I am going to quote... "People you know, shove 'em around, I mean people will kick 'em; and that's hard for me to talk about! ... I mean the abuse of poor pinball machines?." .... "I used to worry about it, its an artifact!, you know; and we're letting people Play these artifacts?! , but, Pinball ; it'll take it!, and if it breaks, ya Fix It!!" . This guy has a collection of 1700+ pinballs including some very rare games, and shares them with everyone. The fact is that they require maintenance regardless of them being played or not. He seems to share my view that they should be in their glory, entertaining, giving enjoyment... rather than a lifeless deteriorating hidden exhibit, "storage" rats nest, or faux investment. Enjoyment in pinball for me comes with the social aspect, and sharing it with other pinheads. I can play at home, but for me that gets boring quickly even playing the greatest game out. My pinball collection would be somewhat wasted for me if it were always just kept at home in the den, never played much, or by no more than a few friends or family (whom for my case can't really get into pinball enough to understand it's rules, to feel some excitment or challenge around it, don't appreciate it for their personal issue or regretfully abuse/don't respect my games, sometimes causing me to snap). I prefer tournaments than playing at home by miles, there is boggins more appreciation for pinball there. Also I can't provide for 30-50 people congregating at my house, even if they are respectable pinball folk :)

Regarding transport, and damage. I've seen people use some pretty brutal and destructive methods for moving pinballs, pinball abuse it seems to me. Standing up and using a sack truck seems to be the least damaging "other" method I've witnessed (and used), also Theoretically the "correct" way, but still clearly causes noticable wear and tear (even if it's only on the unseen back bottom edge from a sacktruck, or a fall/scrape due to poor stability). My own transport method has been specifically developed to move machines in a way that almost enirely eliminates wear and tear and big risk from transportation, I don't have them stand up for numerous reasons (unless they Need to be on a pallet), I use a specially made skid pallet to protect their bottom and a heavily customised trolley instead, which has proven itself to me over and over. This came about from my initial methods causing various damage, and solving these problems. I wouldn't be still moving machines around so flipantly if I was not confident that the games were not suffering adversely from it. I offer to assist with damage free transport to any whom want to contribute machines, some take up the offer and some don't, but that is their choice. My transport comes with the promise to remedy any damage should it occur, so naturally I take great care and responsibility as well.

This leads to a final but very important point, something that has been highlighted to me on more than one occasion, and Will be monitored more meticulously at Bowland and going forward. That is abuse of machines by players. To begin with I will say that overwhelmingly, for the three major events we have held in Port Pirie, players have been very well behaved and kept any potential outbursts under control. The trouble is there has been noted the isolated borderline outburst or rage-tilt. I am going to now remind Everyone that these games are generously contributed by private owners, and when they see people abusing their machine it does not encourage them to contribute Any games next time around, it is the variety of owners that allow us to have such a diverse range of games to play. I do include myself in this. We hope to gain contributors not drive them away. In future tournaments players not respecting machines the way they should be will recieve one warning, and there will be no second warnings they will become a spectator for the remainder of the event. This includes actions like slapping the glass, excessively poor language, and slaming the game against the wall to name just a few, it is simply Not Acceptable. It is also the responsibility of game owners to have a working tilt mechanism set to a reasonable sensitivity (whatever They are happy with). We want to get live streaming/recording happening. I encourage players to highlight unreasonable behaviour if it goes unseen, and with video recorded behaviour that is highlighted it can be identified or assessed in the video and acted upon accordingly by tournament directors. Just a reminder for Everyone to keep their best pinball etiquette on, please! :)

I look forward to the tournaments and the environment, the sounds, the games, and catching up with new and old friends whom like me simply love pinball. It isn't for everyone of course, but it seems like everyone participating loves it too. That is part of what draws me to participate in and organise events. Apart from a few flyers and a 4P group being started on FceBk, there was no advertising or media coverage organised for this event (unlike Bowland which made the ABC state level news by the end), and initially it looked like the number of entrants might be very low, however it has turned out that participation has been surprisingly consistent considering this. We also had Curtis @PinballZero from NSW come along to join us which was an unexpected and pleasant surprise!. So glad you had a great time mate and pleased to have you along, look forward to catching up again! . Anyhow, it's the catching up with people to chinwag and play pinballs that makes it for me, and while people keep participating and contributing, I'll keep putting my bit toward organising, and assisting contributors with tech work on their machines. :)

There were a couple of major learnings to note moving forward. One later, but first is the layout we used in The Snake Pit this year. Mark from Federal commented as well (as he asked for it to be that way to save on moving pool table), that it needs to be like last year with machines running the length of the wall. Too much congestion with trafic through to the back door, even if the awesome tree trunk bar were oriented differently. All along the one wall next year it will be, it worked well in 2018. It is a very long and narrow space, the one exclusion line running the length doesn't conflict with trafic, and is easier to maintain.

Getting there. Results. I will begin with my monumental presentation balls up! :redface

Somehow there was an interpretation of the results of the Flip Frenzy which led to an unjust playoff. Luckily this only affected two players (due to luck of how the unjust 4 player playoff went) and I have discussed this with each of them, a resolution is in place. The third place FF Trophy presented to Scottie was in fact won by Colin. The results will reflect the outcome where Colin finished Third (according to the approved tournament format/guidelines). That just leaves the trophy :blink: ... the pinball silverware! . Since it was my oversight and I don't like to be an indian giver, Scottie will keep his silverware (as long as he gets a texta and writes "4th" on it :lol), and I will commission a replacment which will be presented to Colin at Bowland with the next set.

1178241507_2019-05-0723_05_38.thumb.jpg.20c0a306aa95e3372d25b9f0df1751f9.jpg

The Results:

Federal Best Game Card 2019

Qualifying

https://matchplay.events/live/erwz2

1,Robert Macauley,14495

2,Tom Casey,30771

3,Steve Dite,59905

4,Matthew Owen,30772

5,Lou Martire,25126

6,Michael Costalos,46145

7,Scottie Taylor,22413

7,Tim Freedman,37379

9,Andrew Heitmann,27424

10,Ray Gillett,55406

11,Gary Regan,43768

12,Peter Wright,25141

12,Colin Tattoli,66749

14,Curtis Sahariv,14456

15,Amity Wells,43764

16,Andrew Mathews,56104

17,Robert Piper

18,Jarvis Piper

Finals

https://matchplay.events/live/drx9n

1,Scottie Taylor,22413

2,Michael Costalos,46145

3,Tom Casey,30771

4,Lou Martire,25126

6,Robert Macauley,14495

6,Matthew Owen,30772

6,Tim Freedman,37379

6,Steve Dite,59905

9,Andrew Heitmann,27424

Federal Group Knockout 2019

https://matchplay.events/live/bvrqe

1,Michael Costalos,46145

2,Tom Casey,30771

3,Steve Dite,59905

3,Matthew Owen,30772

5,Curtis Sahariv,14456

6,Ray Gillett,55406

6,Robert Macauley,14495

8,Colin Tattoli,66749

10,Gary Regan,43768

10,Andrew Heitmann,27424

10,Tim Freedman,37379

12,Andrew Mathews,56104

13,Peter Wright,25141

14,Lou Martire,25126

14,Scottie Taylor,22413

16,Robert Piper

17,Aidan Piper

18,Amity Wells,43764

Federal Flip Frenzy 2019

1,Lou Martire,25126

2,Tom Casey,30771

3,Colin Tattoli,66749

4,Scottie Taylor,22413

5,Peter Wright,25141

5,Michael Costalos,46145

7,Matthew Owen,30772

8,Robert Macauley,14495

8,Andrew Heitmann,27424

10,Tim Freedman,37379

11,Curtis Sahariv,14456

12,Grayson Roseberg

13,Gary Regan,43768

14,Stuart Roseberg,62127

15,Craig Ziepes,62132

16,Amity Wells,43764

17,Steve Dite,59905

18,Holly Roseberg

Federal Group Matchplay 2019

https://matchplay.events/live/65yw1

1,Tom Casey,30771

2,Colin Tattoli,66749

3,Matthew Owen,30772

4,Michael Costalos,46145

5,Robert Macauley,14495

6,Andrew Mathews,56104

7,Lou Martire,25126

8,Stuart Roseberg,62127

9,Robert Piper

10,Steve Dite,59905

11,Tim Freedman,37379

12,Curtis Sahariv,14456

13,Andrew Heitmann,27424

14,Scottie Taylor,22413

15,Gary Regan,43768

16,Ray Gillett,55406

17,Peter Wright,25141

18,Amity Wells,43764

19,Holly Roseberg

The results should be included on the IFPA website any time now.

The 4P Grand Champions Perpetual Award went to Tom @Bubatom, congrats on a remarkably consistent performance mate! . Best possible was 50 points, and Tom conceeded only 4 positions! . The plan is to have a perpetual trophy sorted out by the time Bowland comes around.

___________________BGC___GK___FF___GM______Total

1. Tom Casey__________8____9____19___10_______46

2. Michael Costalos _____9____10___15___7________41

3. Matthew Owen_______5____7____14___8________34

4. Lou Martire__________7____-____20___4________31

5. Colin Tattoli _________-____3____18___9________30

6. Robert Macauley _____6____4____13___6________29

7. Scottie Taylor _______10____-____17___-________27

8. Steve Dite __________3____8_____4___1________16 (3rd)

9. Curtis Sahariv________-____6____10___-________16 (5th)

10. Tim Freedman_______4____-____11___-________15

Recipients of the "I played better than two other pinheads!" trophies were:

Group Knockout - Andrew Mathews

Best Game Card - Robert Piper

Flip Frenzy - Amity Wells

Group Matchplay - Peter Wright

Thanks to all who participated! ... and hope to see you again for the Bowland Pinball Challenge!

Anyone holding back on photos from the event, please feel free to share some of them with us all here!

Cheers! :)

Edited by razorsedge

@razorsedge bro you don't need to make me another trophy just continue to help me out with my dinosaur pinballs and all is sweet. Happy for scootie to retain his prize. Keep up the good work razor and to anyone else who organize events around Australia. Its a thankless job. Well done.[emoji2935][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122] @southaussie101.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome to see a few great pics! ... and thanks everyone!

Next year is going to be even better again! . This year alot really was left a bit too much to the last minute. Everything went pretty well, and overall the machines performed pretty well. But there are lessons learned and some exciting things in the pipeline for the Federal in the future. The rennos are progressing! :)

Cheers!