Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Score Watch: Melbourne Barcade high scores (Bartronica & Pixel Alley)

Hey Aussie Arcaders

I just thought that I'd create this thread for the purpose of tracking changes to the high scores in our local Victorian Barcades.

Anyone can feel free to update or add anything relevant they'd like to see covered or if they beat a score so as to best inform players.

First up, a big shout out to NIJ (Nigel) who I met at Bartronica tonight. Nigel absolutely smashed my humble 1942 high score on hardest settings, scoring a whopping 1.24 million, making stage 25.

Pic_0525_009.thumb.jpg.f9732a9ed571b97898a223eeec951551.jpg

He also managed to surpass the 369,000 Galaga score set by Phil Day a while back. That score is now up to 450, 000.

If you're reading this mate, congratulations for the top games; looking forward to catching up with you again for the "Battle of the Arcades" at Pixel Alley. Maybe then I can buy you a beer for the great 1942 score! :)

Cheers,

Pessimeister (Bob)

NIJ does it again at Bartronica last night! This time, he makes it to level 26 and improves to 1.33 million. Won't be long now and he'll complete the game on site. Curiously, there doesn't appear to be a Twin Galaxies record for this, the hardest setting (VD) as there most certainly should be!

1453401981_NIJ3052018.thumb.jpg.866188613c9dba0bc7cb5be1cf8d577d.jpg

It was great to catch up with Nigel over a beer and chat all things gaming. Hopefully he'll start posting here soon. I've also encouraged him to try playing in the MGL. :)

NIJ does it again at Bartronica last night! This time, he makes it to level 26 and improves to 1.33 million. Won't be long now and he'll complete the game on site. Curiously, there doesn't appear to be a Twin Galaxies record for this, the hardest setting (VD) as there most certainly should be!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130603[/ATTACH]

It was great to catch up with Nigel over a beer and chat all things gaming. Hopefully he'll start posting here soon. I've also encouraged him to try playing in the MGL. :)

Is it an original 1942 board? Can they put it on TG settings?

Absolutely fantastic game, surprised none of the 3 arcades in Brisbane have sited this yet - it's a great game, but also gives a lot of value for money for those people who aren't that great at arcade games - starts out slowly enough to give new players half a chance at getting a decent game for their $1

• 2 months later...

Went to Bartronica again this evening after work and got a pleasant surprise in seeing two new cabinets.

1) Ms Pacman (It's suitably placed right next to the Baby Pacman which was installed last week...)

I suspect this machine came from Ms Bartronica. Plays nice; great soft joystick.

I'll definitely be giving it a few more credits in the coming weeks!

2) Super Mario Brothers. It's got a high score saver on it which is fantastic! NIJ already had the top four places. :)

I didn't get time to test it out, but will do so next friday night.

I also watched Nigel effortlessly playthrough all 30 stages of Galaga, scoring just over 420,000. This was after my paltry 130,000. :) He was talking to me the whole time and giving tips to boot. It was great! I'd never seen the ending credit screen before either, so that was memorable. Now to get there myself...

I do hope to see the 1942 cabinet make a return from repairs soon...

P.S: @John73 Hey John. What's the current record for 1942 at Netherworld? I went to the website and noticed your name on the board! Is this up to date?

P.S: @John73 Hey John. What's the current record for 1942 at Netherworld? I went to the website and noticed your name on the board! Is this up to date?

I'm guessing it's either up to date or if someone has beaten my weak score they didn't report their details to staff for the blackboard.

Given there is enough time during Kong Off, I think @Barra will try to 1CC it and also @RMacauley if he is able to make it up to Brisbane.

I haven't 1CC'd it before but I know Rob has. If they have it sited I'll be sure to fire up a few games, love 1942

Haven't completed 1942 in a long time. Had 1 game at Netherworld, got 237K but didn't submit it. Figured it wasn't worth it with Nigel in town and the settings not being as brutal as at Bartronica. If I make it up for Kong Off I'll give it another go. Gives me time to practice a bit

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday 24th August 2018 it finally happened. I completed 1942 on those infernal settings, witnessed by Bob the Pessimeister himself so there is no dispute or funny business. It is an intense game. I got amped so hard, start feeling a little light headed towards last 12 stage onwards. Just those last 3 islands then get that boss plane on last 2 stage, that was the worrying part getting that plane, you start getting all, oh crap and start losing lives. Man it was a real fight, just fighting the controller, wow.

pic1.thumb.jpg.6999bb809bfea08d1d06643fc38dd28e.jpg

pic2.thumb.jpg.ad088461e90450b18eab150240efd24d.jpg

Edited by Arcadinator

It was a real pleasure to witness that game! Hearty congratulations to Nigel! @Arcadinator. I knew it was only a matter of time before he achieved this. Top game, mate. Unfortunately my own little video that I took was corrupted somehow so couldn't post any footage. Glad to see those images up!

Turning up to Bartronica friday night and finding 1942 was back was a wonderful feeling - like being reunited with an old friend. Then seeing the first score of NIJ at 1.64 million was something else! That was temporarily the new record for the venue. I could tell he'd been busy and gotten close again. After my failed attempts at a PB, Nigel said "alright, I'll try it again" and thus the big game started.

I was in absolute awe of his skill and poise in maintaining control; particularly during the jungle stages (which I find very unnerving) and his strategical concept for taking out the boss planes was highly instructional. There were some great fiery moments of intensity; Nigel would sometimes throw in this little involuntary kick or jig when barely escaping bullets or having a narrow escape and as a player you can't help but move and grit your teeth as well! :)

Then when the third boss plane went down, he gave this fierce vocal affirmation which was like a battle-cry and I just sensed he was going to do it. It really was truly awesome and satisfying to watch and I'm sure many AA posters have experienced a similar joy in watching a mate demonstrate such accomplished mastery over a game. Watching Barra on Galaga during Score Wars via Twitch was incredible - but seeing this in the flesh was something else. It also needs to be reflected on Bartronica's high score board ASAP!

The rest of the night proved to be a real blast as well; I probably had one too many pints upon reflection, but it was a very memorable night indeed. I continue to love going to Bartronica on a friday evening after work. Nothing like ending one's day and greeting the weekend in such a fashion. Here's to many more good games and great scores! :)

1431751552_NIJ2482018.thumb.jpg.a8f242a032ae9a7824f3c73a5e971a48.jpg

Edited by Pessimeister
added first score photo

Well done Nigel - HUGE!!!!

Some Twin Galaxies scores on this from MAME & Arcade for comparison (including an entry on both formats from that Rob guy from South Australia)

1852535258_1942mame.PNG.40801e8d88f828dd59a81031c00eb52d.PNG

157876450_1942arcade.PNG.94343e3384f1350c7b94f5117b9d4f04.PNG

Is the board at Bartronica a legit 1942 or a mutliboard? Be great if they can get a real board and hopefully we can convince Nigel to submit to Twin Galaxies.

By the sounds of his comments it could well be on a much harder setting than normal too, which would probably drain a lot of potential points.

These are the standard TG settings for anyone interested:

Dip-Switch Bank A:

1-4 = OFF

5 = ON

6-8 = OFF

Dip-Switch Bank B:

1-8 = OFF

Note: The above Dip Switches, when properly designated, will give the following Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings, used for this title;

3 Lives To Begin

Bonus Life @ 20,000 & 80,000 and every 80,000 thereafter

Normal Difficulty

Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! Continues are NOT allowed!

(including an entry on both formats from that Rob guy from South Australia)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]134869[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]134870[/ATTACH]

Is the board at Bartronica a legit 1942 or a mutliboard? Be great if they can get a real board and hopefully we can convince Nigel to submit to Twin Galaxies.

By the sounds of his comments it could well be on a much harder setting than normal too, which would probably drain a lot of potential points.

These are the standard TG settings for anyone interested:

For the record any arcade scores I have on TG were done at Funspot either during the 2002 tournament or RTM's 2008 November vacation, witnessed live by a ref and not recorded.

I can say the the settings at Bartronica are a lot harder than default. If it is a multiboard it's locked on 1942. Seemed legit to me at the time though I'm no hardware expert. Played 2 games on it and barely broke 200K.

One of these days I need to dig out my 1942 board and get back into it.

As far as I'm aware, it's a legitimate board, not a multi-board. Nige and I were talking about this last week actually. He mentioned that he thinks the monitor bezeling is from a Gyruss cabinet and that the side panel artwork is possibly from a Moon Cresta? So it's a curious beast. Maybe we can take a video this week and get the afficianado's here to confirm. :)

As for the difficulty setting, it's been my observation that the bullets during the % to score stages indicates at least a difficult or VD rather than a normal setting. I first learned this difference from playing on Pixel Alley's Ultracade version of 1942 where there's no bullets on this stage. Bartronica's 1942 is definitely harder!

I've been doing my best to encourage Nige to go for a Twin Galaxies score since we met. Perhaps now that he's completed the game it'll be something he'll more seriously contemplate. I'll keep working on him at any rate! :)

• 2 weeks later...

A brief history of 1942's high score at Bartronica:

April 2015

97, 440 (PATZ)

182, 500 (Mad Man)

January 2016:

185, 040 (Johnny)

2017:

???, ??? (ASH) (The start of a score race with Mad Man)

236, 390 (RAT) (Our own resident Aussie Arcader!)

251, 750 (Mad Man) (Creatively signed the high score board with "Come at me Ash ya punk!" in separate score lines)

263, 650 (ASH) (May) (Ash regains it...)

269, 470 (BOB) (August)

2018:

307, 170 (BOB)

336, 000 (BOB) (May)

The era of NIJ started on 18/5/2018:

405, 750 (NIJ)

1242400 (NIJ)

30/5/2018:

1339040 (NIJ)

24/8/2018: 1647110 (NIJ)

11573050 (Complete) (NIJ)

If anyone has any other scores that I've missed (including the Ash and Mad Man ones as I'm sure there are more..) feel free to let me know so that I can update this post. :)

• 2 weeks later...

At Pixel Alley last night for a friendly gathering, NIJ was in full flight on Galaga, equaling Phil Day's 999, 990 for the second time on the machine. Several times he recovered well from losses of lives to make the highest live score on the game that I've seen, stopping the game at around level 98.

We also had some friendly duels on 1942, Raiden DX and Twin Cobra. Definitely a great night!

1684633158_GalagaNIJPixelAlley21092018.thumb.jpg.435fa8e5dfa00c8b0b2a17380242cf00.jpg

Local arcade fans in Melbourne should also be aware that Pixel Alley is having a "High Score Reset" party tonight, with all of their wall displayed scores going back to zero. This is an excellent opportunity to get some mates together , head to the barcade and make some scores, perhaps winning a few free drinks in the process. :)

• 2 months later...

Massive congratulations go out to @Arcadinator (NIJ) who last night at Bartronica, completed Rastan in a single credit not once, but twice! The cabinet has only been at Bartronica now for three-four weeks and plays beautifully. Local gamers should check it out!

When I arrived at around 4.30 pm, he'd already beaten the game in single player with a score over 700 k. We started a two-player game later on and after losing two early lives under 100 k, he readily recovered and soared past my low 200 k run to demonstrate absolutely amazing technique on the last three bosses especially.

I didn't even get to see their special abilities they were dead so fast. It was really instructional and fantastic to watch. I'm imploring NIJ to check Twin Galaxies on this and consider a submission, as this score would send him to second place. https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/rastan/arcade

The final score was 812, 300 Apologies for the image quality (you can see Bartro's neon glow!) but such was the excitement of seeing the ending for the first time!

894858113_NIJ7-12-2018RASTAN(Complete).thumb.jpg.a2b65a5c49b1e13580ce77120e4531e7.jpg

I daresay Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja is next to receive the NIJ treatment!

Edited by Pessimeister

• 1 month later...

The @Arcadinator does it again at Bartronica last friday night; hitting his first 1 million point run on Rastan. Nigel has been making steady progress on learning point pressing methods in order to approach the task of eclipsing the current Twin Galaxies record, Cliff Reese's intimidating 1,485,300 set in 2010.

His enthusiasm is very high for the task and I'm happy to continue encouraging him; it'd be wonderful to see a World Record live in the flesh.

1694350938_NIJRastan1_2mil.jpg.aeec885d25d6ea68b8db2ecb132d9059.jpg

Arcade fans should also be aware that Bartronica 2.0 is currently in development with the barcade making a series of transformative renovations. Stage 1 was completed last week; stage 2 starts today which will mean that Bartronica will be closed for several days. They should be re-opening again this Thursday.

Exciting times indeed!

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this thread for a special announcement just in case Melbourne / Victorian arcade fans weren't aware:

Bartronica is having their Bartronica 2.0 relaunch party tomorrow night. Now that all of the renovations and major changes have been completed, it's time to get together over a few beers and celebrate all things retro and arcade. I'm hoping that the large plasma screen will finally be unveiled and show its functionality as the new High Score Board for the venue. For me this is an exciting concept which will give respect to the gaming culture and provide great motivation for gamers to flock to the venue. With the plethora of new machines now available to play (Asteroids, Rampage, a Neo-Geo Compilation (including Metal Slug!) and a variety of new console booths to choose from, most gamers should have something of interest to investigate. :) There's even a PSone station, an Atari booth, snes...megadrive...etc!

There's also going to be some prizes given away with tickets to potentially win a cocktail compilation machine of some description. I'll definitely be dropping by after work to catch up with my mate NIJ. Hope to see some more local Aussie Arcaders there!

• 2 months later...

Inspired by observing the Pincadia Gala-Gala Twitch feed last weekend, the @Arcadinator (NIJ) was in full flight once more last friday night at Bartronica with a stunning point press run on the 31 stage Galaga track. He managed to score 508, 900, in a near flawless performance which was highly instructional to watch.

We regularly play Galaga on this machine (Namco Classic Collection) and to my knowledge, this is the highest score achieved in the venue since the cabinet first arrived in late 2016.

NIJ-Galaga-PointPress-31-05-2019.thumb.jpg.8bab6f59fb4193799a8332e2d9ff7692.jpg

Whilst the high score screen is not yet fully operational, the owners assured me that it won't be too far away and that gamers will soon finally be able to get their names up on the big screen, replete with neon lights. :)

• 3 months later...

Hey Aussie Arcaders

It gives me great pleasure to announce the success of @Arcadinator at conquering Cliff Reese's mighty 1.48 million world record on Rastan. Incredibly, he has managed twice now to go beyond this mark, with 1.5 and 1.56 million. The 1.56 was done last friday night and I had the great fortune to see it happen before my eyes. The night was quite memorable as we also caught up with @Hayaeti for some friendly banter and some games of DK.

Based upon the evidence of a MAME youtube player, The Arcadinator is convinced that a 2 million+ run is possible and it is hoped that sometime soon, perhaps over the summer, Bartronica will get behind him for an official Twitch feed run at the record. It would be the second record for the venue should it happen; after Jackson Smith's Point Blank WR back in 2017. Can't wait for him to do this; so by all means, watch this space! :)

2138211038_NIJ-Rastan-1.56mil(20-09-2019).thumb.jpg.b92eb4ba3a47c009bc91dbc309f86ba7.jpg

1696346091_NIJ-Rastan-1.50Mil.thumb.jpg.eb7e541987d352d86a2f6505bd77a609.jpg