Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

old PS2, PS3 & XBOX 360 - ideas?

Culled some of my old consoles earlier in the year and am left with just the PS1, PS2, PS3 & Xbox 360. Was wondering if anyone has any good hack uses for these things?

Always wondered if it was possible to somehow turn one of these into a really reliable MAME style retro machine, but never really could work it out myself, not my strong point. From memory the PS1 & 2 had been hacked to play copied games previously the the PS3 & Xbox360 were just factory standard

• Administrators

I rarely dip my toes into consoles these days but I'm unaware of a decent way to turn any of this devices into a Mame Machine. The last console where that worked REALLY well is the original X-Box.

The only "hacks" for the above is to mod the PS1 to play "backups" and mod then install larger HDD's in the PS2 and XBox 360 then install "backup" games to them. Not sure about the PS3

Brad

PS1 you'll need a modchip or a PSIO. PSIO's let you run backups off a SD card and are ok but there's some bizarre design decisions behind it and hopefully someone will do an ODE that just replaces the laser like a GDEMU. PS2 is incredibly easy to mod, just go on ebay and buy a FMCB memory card and you're done. You can play emulators on a PS2 but I don't think it's worth it, they don't run very well.

Both PS3 and XBOX 360 can be modded to play backups and emulators like FBA or Retroarch straight off the HDD but doing the mods yourself takes some time to learn and the consoles need to be specific models on specific firmware. The PS3 mod has just been made much easier but the 360 RGH/JTAG is still a bit of a pain in the ass. Once you do it though, it's awesome. I have a couple RGH modded 360s mainly to play region locked shmups like Mushi HD and Deathsmilies 2. Plan is to just keep one in a cab as a cheap way to play the later CAVE games instead of spending thousands on PCBs. Neither are great as dedicated MAME machines though and having a modded PS3 or 360 only play MAME would be a huge waste with all the other great stuff they can do.

Like Brad said, if you want a dedicated MAME machine in a console then the original XBOX is the best way to go followed by a Wii. XBOX has better frontends, compatibility and can output at 720p but the Wii will let you run games at 240p if you're on a CRT.

If you want a cheap plug and play MAME machine though then I reckon you just get a retropie.

Thanks for all this info, was just doing some fact checking i decided what to do with them. The PS3 & Xbox360 i'll keep hold of as they can still be used in different parts of the house. Will keep the Ps1 as i do have some fond memories of that machine - to confirm, when you say "play backups of a SD Card" - do you mean "play downloaded games off a SD card"? Id be interested in this quite a bit as a lot of my old games are scratched and don't load very well - got about 5-10 titles id really love to be able to play on that again so if you can point me in the right direction to doing that - would be great (the console had been modified back in the day so it could play copied games, so already know that is accessible.

The PS2 on the other hand - sounds surplus to needs. Are they worth anything these days? Might just sell it to make room. From memory this had been modded previously as well

I agree with @DoomsDave The Classic Xbox is the best at what you want. Emulators are extensive for this platform and I have been known to put up to 2TB HDDs in them and play the faster loading games directly off the larger HDD.

Here's a couple of classics I did with larger HDDs...

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/Yau4Dsql.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/WqypHlTl.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/SM8GYril.jpg[/img]

Games boot super fast, machine loads quicker and no stuffing with game discs once they are loaded on the HDD.

Not sure I agree with the Wii though. I think the Sega Dreamcast would come in second. Much development on it recently and who doesn't like the games Sega has to offer.

I know they play off SD cards but pretty sure they have then booting off an oversized HDD like we managed get the classic Xbox doing.

Just some emulator info regarding the classic Xbox...

http://xbmcxbox.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/complete-list-of-emulators-for-original.html

I did mod a PSII and was bitterly disappointed I will say. Seems we were spoilt with the xbox and I simply found it very limited and clunky but times may have changed now.

to confirm, when you say "play backups of a SD Card" - do you mean "play downloaded games off a SD card"?

Yes but you need a PS1 with a serial port. You can check it out here, made in Australia - http://ps-io.com/store/

If your PS1 is already chipped though and you only want to play a handful of games then probably easier to just burn some CD-Rs.

PS2s aren't worth very much. You might be able to get $40-50 with the chip. If your PS2 chip lets you play burned PS1 games though then I would just hang onto it since it's easier to get a better picture out of it with component.