Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 35 - Game 8 ~ Flying Shark (closes 10-Jun)

Two wings is the current technology …

MGL 35 – Game 8 ~ Flying Shark

taWfUkT.png

Nominated by gamers: @Rat and @Pessimeister

ROM WolfMAME 0.106: fshark (world)

Game Story:

A vertical scrolling shooter where you fly a biplane, like a Sopwith Camel, equipped with two cannons and smart bombs. You must fly from each runway to the next over jungle, sea and desert destroying tanks, planes and ships.

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials.

This game finishes Sunday 10 June 2018, 7pm Sydney time Australia.

Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No cheats allowed.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

GAME 8 … Von Richthofen lookout! …

Last played in the MGL over 9 years ago …

fYwpNjM.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pessimeister: 193, 560

0000.png.7266947f1f38ad1a00e6b9c4b50c9625.png

Love this game! Cheers to @Rat for also nominating it.

I had a bit of a love affair with several Toaplan shoot 'em ups last summer on RetroUprising. Flying Shark, Fire Shark, Slap Fight, Vimana...even the brutally hard Out Zone and the underrated Twin Hawk. So fiercely challenging, intense yet compelling and rewarding to play when you get immersed in their particular style. The thrill of trying to get just that little bit further on one credit never grows old!

I never played this on an arcade cabinet but was first exposed to it on C64 in around 1999. I loved the soundtrack but never really got far. The bullets could be hard to spot sometimes! Happy to lay down my first score for this event and hope to eventually make a PB.

Edited by Pessimeister

I've played this a few times but not a lot. Definitely the inspiration for Twin Cobra right down to the music.

Not sure how I'll go from here on out. My desktop PC has been totally screwed up by a windows update (lost all my inps from as far back as MGL 14) and I'm currently using my laptop. I can still plug in my joystick but it's not my ideal playing environment. (Oh for f..k's sake Rob. HTFU, build a bridge and get over it.) :075::punish::lol

fshark.png.28f5e838b643cceb6159216d41266916.png

Pessimeister: 267, 220

0002.png.eafc09d114b2a5004ae90b3478ae6603.png

Did I mention that I love this game? :) Even when it chews me up and spits me out. Tough as nails, it is. Twin Cobra was also another of my nominations, so between the two of these, I'm quite chuffed that vertical scrolling sh'mup fans get something to really sink their teeth into.

Pessimeister: 193, 560

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130113[/ATTACH]

Love this game! Cheers to @Rat for also nominating it.

I had a bit of a love affair with several Toaplan shoot 'em ups last summer on RetroUprising. Flying Shark, Fire Shark, Slap Fight, Vimana...even the brutally hard Out Zone and the underrated Twin Hawk. So fiercely challenging, intense yet compelling and rewarding to play when you get immersed in their particular style. The thrill of trying to get just that little bit further on one credit never grows old!

I never played this on an arcade cabinet but was first exposed to it on C64 in around 1999. I loved the soundtrack but never really got far. The bullets could be hard to spot sometimes! Happy to lay down my first score for this event and hope to eventually make a PB.

Ok never heard of this game but I think I’m most impressed that you were using a c64 as late as 1999?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Ok never heard of this game but I think I’m most impressed that you were using a c64 as late as 1999?!

Yep, I loved the ol' Commie. 1999-2001 was also a great period for finding C64 games very cheap in big packages at second hand stores like the Salvos.

It was pretty much before the advent of ebay and before people really appreciated the value of retro gear. I found my original disk version of Flying Shark at a local garage sale in a big batch of games.

It still smells like grease to this day. :)

Hey @RichyS. I see that you've still got 9th place on RetroUprising's board though with 242,070. That must have been awesome to loop the game!

Also, top score by TIFF. That's going to take some beating and goes way past my PB.

Pessimeister: 400, 470

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130203[/ATTACH]

Missed my PB by about 15,000, but a decent run. Those blasted gunships are merciless!

@TIF: Looks like knt's score is going to be under threat soon! Nice work. :) (1.09 mil)

You're getting there. 500k is in your grasps. Oh that score will be beaten. I haven't practiced this game, yet. Just playing on instinct. I would love to improve my technique.

Pessimeister: 421, 490

0006.png.808703ff9dd207fa13394c18d401747a.png

One major challenge is trying to keep the upgraded plane for as long as you can; that satisfaction goes a long way to keeping this game fun and motivating to play. Can be very hard having to rebuild the spread through tougher sections.

0000.png.7ceaf37388951f056d38872073b1a138.png

First time playing, got this after 4 games. Kinda like this game but I don't think I'm going to do real good at it.

Is there no MAME track for this on TG? We need to found one so I can be in last place :)

- - - Updated - - -

0001.png.25ca97eea0745bdf59e753507488e3bc.png