Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Hi from Wollongong

Hey folks,

I've only been recently introduced to pinball by a mate who invited me on a road-trip to PlayPartyZone out at Bowral where they had 20-odd machines from the 70s through to 00s set up.

I was surprised that, by the end of the day, both my wife and I had favourite machines and that they both felt really different (Diner and Whitewater, respectively). Previously, I never would've been able to tell you how the machines were different. I just assumed they all had different art.

So now I'm starting to look into pinball a lot more. Unfortunately, it'll likely be a while before I have one of my own. Unless I can convince my wife to let me put one on site so it doesn't seem like a huge splurge but more of an investment, fingers crossed. But in the meantime places like this are helpful so I can find out public locations to give machines a go.

I definitely found out about places like this a little too late. I think it was the same weekend as the Newcastle pinball meet that I started looking around. Hopefully I can line things up to get down to Melbourne for Flipout as I'm really keen to play some machines that aren't recently Sterns (the easiest to find in Sydney / Illawarra).

So now I'm starting to look into pinball a lot more. Unfortunately, it'll likely be a while before I have one of my own. Unless I can convince my wife to let me put one on site so it doesn't seem like a huge splurge but more of an investment, fingers crossed. But in the meantime places like this are helpful so I can find out public locations to give machines a go.

Do you have any experience with electrical and/or electronics? e.g. Did you cover electronics in high school and can you read a schematic? If you can, an older solid state machine or even an electro mechanical machine could be a good option to get a machine cheaper. Sure, it won't be as fancy as a new machine, but they all have their charms. I still play my EM machine regularly, and my older SS machines as well - there's times when I don't want a complicated ruleset and just want to play.

Do you have any experience with electrical and/or electronics? e.g. Did you cover electronics in high school and can you read a schematic? If you can, an older solid state machine or even an electro mechanical machine could be a good option to get a machine cheaper. Sure, it won't be as fancy as a new machine, but they all have their charms. I still play my EM machine regularly, and my older SS machines as well - there's times when I don't want a complicated ruleset and just want to play.

Unfortunately not. I'm happy to learn though and am trying to source my way through material to work out the best process to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

welcome to aa from another member from the 'gong.

Thanks mate,

Looks like you're a proper local, I'm Thirroul. Do you know if there are any clubs or comps or anything like that happening in the area?

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your outlook (I like Sterns a lot more these days), you're not going to find much that isn't a Stern in smaller venues. However, there are some gem places in the location guide on the site. Not much of course in the good 'ol Gong (let alone the Northern Subs) though but quite a lot just up the road in Sydney.

Hope you can get yourself a machine soon. Even if you get something a bit older(don't know what your budget is) to even get you going without having to site a machine first. you can definitely get something good around the $5K level still -not a White Water like you could once upon a time when I first started 20 years back. I'm self taught with maintenance, I've done quite a few restorations myself over the years when I've had time. If you're mildly mechanical and not afraid to work with wires and cables, it's not all that hard. There's so much to help online as well.

I'm sure you'll enjoy this hobby, its addictive to say the leas lol! 28 machines later, 13 currently with 2 more ordered!