Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Optus 4G SIM only plans - big data for less

I'm in no way affiliated with Optus, just wanted to post this cause it might help others like me who can't get fixed-line broadband. I live in a sleepy area of the far south coast NSW where I can't even get crappy ADSL and NBN is still a year away.

This SIM-only plan is 200GB of 4G data for $60 p/month on a 12 month contract. That's pretty huge !! I've been scouting for the last couple of months and there seems to be big-data 4G wars going on at the moment with telcos but this is easily the best i've seen if you are a consumer of streaming services like netflix, iview, SBS on demand, or rabbit-hole youtubing and can only use mobile networks.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/data-sim-card?contractLength=12&dclid=CInGg_WA590CFZKblgodgb0Btg&plan=80

Edit: noticed also in the finer print you can stream ABC iview unlimited data, doesn't come off your plan data

Edited by Jed

Ive had one for a year and half now

Paid more at the time $70 a month for 100 gig as was best deal. For me no plan and ability to take it between my place and mrs place been handy. About to cancel and upto 200 if possible

Ive had one for a year and half now

Paid more at the time $70 a month for 100 gig as was best deal. For me no plan and ability to take it between my place and mrs place been handy. About to cancel and upto 200 if possible

are you getting decent speed narf ? I'm in a 4G+ area so should be all good but i'm not using optus network at the moment so can't check.

Thanks @Jed

Upgraded now for my iPad, was paying $25 for 5 gig per month. The sim will arrive in a few days. Woo hoo!! :)

And abc iview no extra, well my catch up of all that drama has me very excited ......... Glad I'm on holidays to enjoy :D

Payment via d/debit or email?

Ok, so far, no email address has to be supplied and a monthly paper billing account including the initial bill can be mailed out for pand correspondense can be by post only if requested. POI they told me photo proof such a drivers licence which shows your dob and home address.

Looking at skipping NBN my area arrives 2019 , since I get 10MB/s (80Mbps) download 4G locally will look at router sim

Yeah, this new plan is better speed and way more data than the lower end fixed line NBN plans....and about the same price. I got this modem off gumtree a Huawei sim modem/router, 5v power but seems to pump out a really strong wifi signal, i can get it all over my place even downstairs under the house in the mancave.

20181004_154225_1.jpg

There's a good app for Android that interfaces with the modem and shows you data usage etc so it's easy to keep track of usage without having to logon to an account.

my suggestion is see if there is a way to purchase such things off contract. It will be cheaper again within 3 months
Unfort there was nothing remotely close to this deal off contract. For us without fixed line Internet options until mid next yearish, i don't mind getting this on contract.

I'm not sure how optus resellers feel about their wholesaler offerring this deal direct to customers as there's still nothing remotely close to this deal on data or price from anyone else! I've used it the past week and the speed is 2.5x what we used to get on Dodo 4G, which is weird as they are an optus reseller. I'd see the speed on the old dodo 4g cap at 1500kbps. On this plan we're getting 3800kbps on average so we're pretty happy. Wife has her iview and sbs on demand back, and i can (cough) torrent things again. ....

Edit,

Changing my 4G modem to operate on 5Ghz band instead of 2.4GHhz has tripled my download speed.

I don't really understand how this is possible but there you go

speed-test-results-new.jpg

Edited by Jed