Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

ROM burning services?

Segasonic91

Question

8 answers to this question

Does anyone offer ROM burning services? Such as ROMs for desuiciding a board? I have not bought a burner as yet and I do not know the best place to get a good supply.

If you are desuiciding a cps2 board there is more to it then just burning some eeproms. You'll need to program the decryption key directly to the board as it's held in battery backed RAM, you can do that with a darksoft multicart or an arduino.

It is for CPS1 and SYSTEM-16/18. I have some already dead CPS1 boards with the C board modified, but no decrypted ROMs. The unmodified CPS1 boards I have, I would like to get desuicided with the arduino. I have not been able to find all the things I need to build an arduino device. Is there a full kit sold somewhere?

The SYSTEM-16/18 boards are easy enough, pop in a new 68000 and the ROMs. My CPS2 games are all running on battery and I plan to keep it that way for the moment.

It is for CPS1 and SYSTEM-16/18. I have some already dead CPS1 boards with the C board modified, but no decrypted ROMs. The unmodified CPS1 boards I have, I would like to get desuicided with the arduino. I have not been able to find all the things I need to build an arduino device. Is there a full kit sold somewhere?

The SYSTEM-16/18 boards are easy enough, pop in a new 68000 and the ROMs. My CPS2 games are all running on battery and I plan to keep it that way for the moment.

Not looked into it too much myself but there isn't much to an arduino, try checking this out

http://arcadehacker.blogspot.com/2015/09/project-update.html

and some more info here post #9

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/88788-WANTED-Someone-to-de-suicide-my-Captain-Commando-CPS1

ROM burning services?

There's a bit more to it than just the Arduino, it's not terribly complicated but it's messy. I just desuicided 2 Knights of the Round boards. Takes about half an hour to get battery replaced, everything connected and then keys flashed.

Similar timeframe for CPS2 but a bit more quirky depending on board revision. To use decrypted ROMs again doesn't need any modifications to the boards

CPS1.5 is the most difficult. 2 seperate CPUs, both encrypted and extensive hardware modifications required to use decrypted ROMs. The Kabuki is a right pain to desuicide.

It does mean no modifications are required to the C board as you mentioned which is always a plus.

System 16B just requires a normal 68k or Z80 depending on which one is encrypted and either main program or sound CPU ROMs to suit. No modifications required to the board itself.

There's no kit for the Arduino, I could make you one I guess, but all the parts can be bought off the shelf from Jaycar.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea jaycar had everything needed. Their website is awful for searching so I never found all the parts listed.

My King of Dragons is unmodified, the Wonder 3 and Captain Commando have had the C board modded but still have all original ROMs in place. My main problem is the lack of ASIC on the Captain Commando board. Well it is Wonder 3 or CapCom, whichever has the chip underneath the C board. I will never understand why it was done, but because of the chip being under the board, I had no idea until it arrived from Japan.

I had my eye on a dead Punisher last week, went for almost $900. I wish I started this arcade stuff 10 years ago, even dead boards are faaaaar too rich for my blood. It still depresses me when I see an old ad from 2011 on google for Strider Hiryu, Wardner no Mori, Psychic 5, Final Fight and another board for $179. And it was local. Psychic 5 is one of my favourite games ever and it is near impossible to get now. Last Japanese one I saw went for over ¥50k. Just got Wardner no Mori, but Strider Hiryu is far too expensive. I prefer Japanese versions too.