Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

RetroTV / Arcade LCD

Hi Everyone,

I have a simple question. Would anyone be interested in a 29" 4:3 LCD Panel (Replacement for Candy Cabinets) or some kind of RetroTV?

This question's been bugging me while downsizing my collection of arcade hardware. Is damn cabinets take up a lot of room and not many have room for such machines.

As well to that CRT's are damn big and bulky.

The biggest 4:3 LCD's were 19" and most were actually 5:4. There was a few plasma's but they were far and few between.

I know there's been conversations by different groups over the years to make a 4:3 LCD Panel in larger formats but the price to run up a batch has always been too expensive.

I've been working in Digital Signage for a number of years and one company i have contacts with that do cut down LCD panels where they take a larger panel and cut it to the size (resolution) you want.

It's not extremely cheap by any means. But a hell of a lot cheaper than doing a 10000 MOQ production run.

I'd look at trying to add to a HDMI on the LVDS controller an upscaller, SCART to turn it into a RetroTV if it gained enough interest.

Note i'd work with others on doing this as it's not my realm of expertise.

So if i was to find out pricing and work something out would anyone be interested?

Let me know i'm going to post on a few forums to gauge interest.

I think most people would love a large size 4:3 LCD that could be used for arcade cabs and retro use. But yeah the killer has always been price. 19" LCDs are dirt cheap or free and larger widescreen lcds and tvs are so cheap these days - although requiring either hiding the edges or adding some sort of bezel to the emulated image (if used with an emulator) to fill the space.

So I guess you'd need to find the sweet spot with pricing where it is not too overly expensive to be worth while.

I've sent my contacts an e-mail to try and work out what donor panels and overall final sizes we could have. From last time I had some panels customized, the overall cost was about 40% on top of the panel plus a tool up fee and a few other items, in that case optical bonding. I'll at least see if i can get a small prototype run so the rest can be developed on and that way i can work out pricing. For not i'd say the final panels with the LVDS controller would be between $1000k-2000k AUD a 29" screen. I'd be looking at getting that price down by a lot in volume.

Will update as I get more data. but from the feedback a number of people would be interested if it's done right and doesn't cost many moons.