Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

black vinyl on cab

Hello everyone

The inside of the sides of my cabinet are peeling. It's some type of black laminate. Does anyone know where to buy it from? Just wondering the best course of action for replacing it. It is obviously an awkward curved shape and there is other wooden parts nailed over the sides of the cab so you couldn't actually replace the whole inside panel without taking it all apart. Any ideas? Of course I could just paint the bits where it peeled black.

With the original LAI cab i recently restored i ended up removing the vinyl from the inside and just painted it instead. As you've already mentioned, most of these cabs have vinyl fully coating the wood pieces so when they were originally assembled some of that vinyl is under edges (the thickness of the ply/chipboard). The cab i restored had massive chunks missing or damaged so it wasn't viable to replace it i felt. I carefully cut close to all the edges with a hobby knife and then used a heat gun and a paint scraper to help remove all the vinyl, then sanded it to a reasonable finish and painted black. Definitely undercoat the wood first before the top black coat cause chipboard is fairly "thirsty" and soaks up the paint.