Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXXXVII - Game 4 ~ Kangaroo (closes 14-Oct)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am no expert on Kangaroo. @SMK, @CrazyKongFan, @creech77?

Simply put, because we're playing on settings that only allow you 5 men in total without the ability to earn extra kangaroo's, the same strategy should apply to Kangaroo that applies to say Donkey Kong for example. With DK, players points press until the clock is down to nothing, then they complete the stage. They do this

throughout the game and no extra men are earned in the process (not counting the only one you get at 7k). The other way to play DK is to just clear stages and advance to the kill-screen. Kangaroo can be played either way. With my 113k score I submitted here, I chose to clear stages while picking off a few Magilla Gorilla's and punching a few extra apples in the process. Had I points pressed that particular game while reaching stage 4-1 like I did, I could have easily gotten a few hundred thousand points in the process. I personally wanted to see how far I can go after not playing this one in ages, because in another few levels, the game gets ridiculously fast. To the point where you're lucky if you make it to the ladder without dying. There are 2 to 3 monkeys throwing apples at you at the same time, at the opposite end while you're trying to inch your way to the ladder. The rule of thumb should be if you're going to points press, make sure you finish the level before the timer runs out. "Cashing in" all of your Kangaroo's to get a monster score on one stage shouldn't be allowed. I would never submit it, but I managed over 300k on the first stage using this technique just messing around one day. Again, this shouldn't be allowed. Just grab some extra points, then clear the stage and progress through the levels. I wish I could have shared this with everyone a week ago. We may have to utilize this if the game is chosen in a future MGL being that there's only a short amount of time left to submit scores for this game and I'm sure there will be some more discussion about this post. Hard to do that and play and submit scores, all in a few hours. Hope this helps. Any feedback?

2370641_4.SMK_kangaroo_166300_wolfmame106a.png.8a8200a73902631b0fca51615e7c1598.png

447252663_4.SMK_kangaroo_166300_wolfmame106b.png.f506601532b3f737232cbaec28c00ef0.png

4. SMK_kangaroo_166,300_wolfmame106.zip

Would you believe the very first game I played after sending my above post, I managed to get this score. :D

This game was played exactly the way I described it in my previous post. I even included the inp file so everyone can get an idea what I was talking about earlier. I will say that this score had the potential to surpass 300k easily, had I points pressed on the appropriate stages throughout the game. I didn't. I only points pressed on 1-1 and 1-2 only, then played the rest of the game by finishing levels/rounds. I almost got as far as I did in my last submission of 113k (reached 4-3 this game). I had forgot to mention that you can also points press on all of the levels/rounds 1-4, 2-4, 3-4 etc by positioning your Kangaroo on one of the ledges and punching apples from both sides. Very risky, but if done correctly for the duration of the timer, you will reap some pretty good points before finishing the stage. I don't do this because I haven't mastered this technique and wind up dying after only punching a few apples. Not a good trade off.

- - - Updated - - -

... What would a reasonable score for level 1 be with no leeching?

On average, without points pressing the Magilla Gorilla's or lots of apples, between 12k and 14k is decent. The ladder of the two scores is if you chose to run through and collect all or most of the fruits. The Pineapples are worth 800 a piece. You can also pick off a few monkeys while hanging out at the top of the stairs next to jr., to add to your score.

If the above score is point pressing, then what exactly is considered milking the gorilla? :unsure I'm just unsure what is allowed and what isn't at this point. so you're allowed to milk the gorilla if you don't use all your lives, and only for a few levels? Edited by creech77

If the above score is point pressing, then what exactly is considered milking the gorilla? :unsure I'm just unsure what is allowed and what isn't at this point. so you're allowed to milk the gorilla if you don't use all your lives, and only for a few levels?

It's my belief that milking the gorilla is just another method of points pressing in this game. There are several of them. Punching gorillas back-to-back, punching apples on 1-4, 2-4, 3-4 etc, and cycling through all of the fruits to collect them while their all pineapples would be another one as well. It just so happens that the gorilla method yields the largest amount of points in all of them. The beauty of it is that this is a 5-men only track so there's no way to rack up extra kangaroo's.

Paul, let us know if these methods are approvable. At the least, you could add an addendum that basically states no points pressing using the "gorilla method" only, or no more than "x" number of gorillas can be punched on a given stage (a similar example of this would be when submitting a score to TG on Joust, you're not allowed to kill more than 10 pterodactyls on a given stage).

I completely understand your unsurety Creech. I hope this helps. If Paul decides to add the addendum, I would be more than happy to have him remove my recent score in all fairness. :)

@SMK As much as it stinks playing a leech game like this, all leeching probably should've been allowed. It's difficult policing who's doing what in this game anyway with just a screenshot. If all leeching was allowed then there would be no uncertainty. I know OOO stated earlier that he wasn't allowing milking the gorilla on level 1, but, it's all in fun anyway. No worries mate. Good score. It still takes some skill.

Cheers

I just noticed that the TG WR on the arcade platform, same settings, is 90,900. :D No track for these settings on MAME.

Are you going to go for the arcade record? You'll need to find an arcade with the game which would be pretty difficult. Or you might be able to acquire the PCB and then make the attempt.

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking of Kangaroo and my Aussie friends while here in Epcot!

[ATTACH]137121[/ATTACH][ATTACH]137122[/ATTACH]

You're at Epcot? So you are at Walt Disney World off the Florida 400. Lucky boy, and I hope you took the family with you. Love the menu pic you took.

Now let's see. I'd like Grilled Sweet and Spicy Bush Berry Shrimp. Got to have a Lamington. Grilled Lamb Chop and Yangarra Shiraz sounds great. Coopers Brewery Original Pale Ale to wash down the meal to finish. What did you have? Care to post a pic from the trip, or is this a hoax? :cool:

Day 17 of 17.

Score submissions for Game 4 - Kangaroo are now closed.

Final Results ...

Vmq63uV.png

This game is on easy setting and yet is still very challenging to do well. DaLar, creech, CrazyKongFan, redelf, TodayIsForgotten, Ragequit, spectre, RMacauley, Pearl2hu, ozfalcon and Prow all scored over 30K with a high of 66K to take out 4th to 14th place. Nice kangarooing (if there is such a word).

ILLSeaBass scored 76K for a super 3rd place.

Blackflag82 scored 81K for a great 2nd place.

Congratulations to Stephen Krogman for winning Game 4, with an excellent score of 166,300 points. Nice punching and jumping there. Great stuff!

1LzwkE3.png

The animals from Zoo Keeper and the strange aliens from Time Tunnel are your challenges for now from Taito. And then there will be more games to come, to challenge you, and enjoy!

:)

Are you going to go for the arcade record? You'll need to find an arcade with the game which would be pretty difficult. Or you might be able to acquire the PCB and then make the attempt.

- - - Updated - - -

You're at Epcot? So you are at Walt Disney World off the Florida 400. Lucky boy, and I hope you took the family with you. Love the menu pic you took.

Now let's see. I'd like Grilled Sweet and Spicy Bush Berry Shrimp. Got to have a Lamington. Grilled Lamb Chop and Yangarra Shiraz sounds great. Coopers Brewery Original Pale Ale to wash down the meal to finish. What did you have? Care to post a pic from the trip, or is this a hoax? :cool:

I’m actually here for work so no family. Didn’t actually have anything because the line was too long. [emoji16]

I thought you might get a kick out of how Australian food and drink is represented. At least there’s no Fosters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I would love to Paul. Finding this one's going to be one hell of a challenge. I'd be better off attending a local gaming event in hopes that it will show up there. Eventually, I will definitely be adding this one to my personal collection. I've always loved this game since it first came out.