Thread: NeoGeo cabinet build (arcadeworx)

State
    Colyton, sydney
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

NeoGeo cabinet build (arcadeworx)

Hi All, i don't make a lot of posts here mostly just a lurker but recently decided to build a NeoGeo cab. It's a flatpack from arcadeworx.com.au which I've added minor modifications to. Inside is a NeoGeo board with Jamma2Scart to a OSSC for video. Sticks are SANWA, buttons are some cheap ones that had LEDs (not sure what brand).

I really wanted to get an original neogeo cab but after many years of searching for what i wanted (and not being able to afford the ones in the condition i wanted) i decided this could be a cheaper alternative.

Pics below, still a work in progress. Waiting on locks and some additional pieces for the cutouts on the machine.

IMG_4829.jpgcab6.jpg
    cab1.jpgcab2.jpg
    cab3.jpgcab4.jpg
    Last edited by Flain; 24th September 2018 at 07:00 PM.

State
    Perth, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Nice looking modern cab!
    Yea the original cabs sell like hot cakes when priced well.
    I only managed to get one recently advertised as non working. Got it home. 161 in 1 cart was in backwards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    She's a beauty. But why did you go for a black cab over red?

State
    Colyton, sydney
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Thanks, i was thinking about it. Mostly because arcadeworx only have gloss finish in black, the red finish isn't glossy. I also think that the original red with white stripes look is hard to copy to a modern cab without looking bad. I was thinking of doing the original white neogeo cabs (did you know there were white ones in japan?). I'll find a pic and post it up if anyone is curious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Yeah the Japanese Neo Geo cabinets looked gorgeous as well. I am not familiar with the Jamma2SCART, it looks like it just takes the pins from the JAMMA edge and connects them to the SCART connector. I am going to build one of these: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/jzNmi8o1 when the board arrives. It buffers the signal through a video amp which should hopefully be safe for my framemeister.

State
    Colyton, sydney
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

With Jamma2Scart it appears as though the sync isn't connected (which is 5v and can fry things), although i'm not 100% sure (this is from me looking up close to the pcb and trying to trace it). The RGB has pots and resistors inline, it has "auto mode" and manual mode. I put mine in manual mode and turned RGB down to remove the white wash you get from the signals being too strong. I haven't had any issues yet and i've played a lot of hours (my kids play it a lot too) so it's better than nothing

Let me know how you go with the CMVSRGB, soldering isn't my strong point so let me know how hard/easy that is too. I might consider swapping over to it if its the safer option. I did email the jamma2scart people but got no response.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Soldering those tiny surface mount parts is a challenge. I find myself worrying that if I don't hold my breath a resistor might get sucked up my nose lol.

State
    Colyton, sydney
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I've done some more work, almost finished it now just need to add some lighting to it to the backing of the cutouts. Also put a Darksoft multi in it

I also managed to get a very nice picture with the OSSC.

neogeo1.jpg

neogeo2.jpg

neogeo3.jpg

State
    Istanbul
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it looks great

State
    Colyton, sydney
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

I haven't posted on this in a while but i did end up putting in the back lighting some time ago. Just some cheap LED strip lighting from ebay (about $10), now that it's complete i can continue to search for a candy cab NeoGeo

46794317_199402414281033_7669019833379323904_n.jpg

46846073_800619606996857_3513341251661332480_n.jpg

Thread Information