Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Aimtrak accuracy on LCD's?

Hey guys,

just planning out for a light gun MAME build and was wondering what the general consensus was as to the accuracy of the Aimtrak guns vs the old school light-guns.

I'd love to use a CRT but i don't want the hassle of dealing with troubleshooting it over time, so was considering going Aimtrak and LCD.

how accurate are they in comparison? Been reading up on them and opinions seem to be mixed...

Primarily planning on MAME, with some console stuff possibly...

There is no comparison, the accuracy of the Aimtrak isn't even close to a real lightgun. Aimtraks are IR based and are basically just a Wii remote in a case, they function exactly the same way so any lag that comes with IR will come with the Aimtrak. In my opinion they're a waste a money since you can get Wii remotes so cheap these days. It just controls your mouse so most games will still need a cursor on screen which kind of defeats the point of a light gun to me. I used to have one but ended up selling it because I thought it was pointless, some people might be more tolerant than me though. There's a good review on youtube that's actually honest, when I'm not at work I'll find and link it.

Going back to your original question though. Aimtraks can't compete with old school lightguns in terms of accuracy and you'll be very disappointed if you expect a similar experience. With a lightgun you are aiming, with an Aimtrak you are dragging and pointing if that makes sense.

I used to sell the AimTraks and found them to be very good, as did many customers when they bothered to give me any feedback at all.

Having said that I do tend to agree with DoomsDave but from a slightly different point of view. There are plenty of Wii type remotes out there that are just as good as the AimTrak for far less $$$, as long as you don't mind having to put them into a holder that isn't exactly shaped like a gun.

Also note that you DO NOT need to have a cursor on the screen to use them - once you have calibrated the gun it should remain reasonably accurate as long as you stand in approximately the same place when using it. In any case your first few shots in a game should help with your positioning.

The Aimtraks are alright if you get them calibrated well (I've found the built in calibration crosshair can go a bit crazy on a CRT/lowres, is fine on LCD though) . They are good enough to turn off the crosshair, although then if the calibration does change because your posture or position changes a bit you wont know. Wii-mote in a gunshell works nearly as well but you cannot calibrate them in the same was as the Aimtrak so the crosshair is needed. My experience with wii-motes is using Dolphin bar so if there's some other way to do it maybe it can be calibrated I don't know.

The Aimtraks are expensive enough that wii-motes are sorta-maybe close enough really. Aimtraks are much more accurate than a wii-mote though no question. I have trouble really recommending the Aimtraks as the second one I bought (in a red shell) is squeaky as the gun handle flexes slightly which is disappointing at the price, the first (blue) feels nice and solid though.

Is there a CRT light gun on the market anymore? I only went down the path of Aimtraks and wii-motes because I couldn't find any.

Sorry for the late response guys,

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Based on everything I've read i dont think i can justify the cost of the lightguns.... Might look at designing my own weighted lightgun shell and for a wii-mote as i have a few laying around. Ill see how that goes, and if all fails, ill look at revisiting the crt thing.

thank you all for your suggestions!

- - - Updated - - -

@dee2eR - I've got several "Real Arcade" (thats what they were called) lightguns with kickback.

https://segaretro.org/Real_Arcade_Light_Gun

my ones are designed for PS but im sure i could jerry-rig something together... :D