Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Help with kick harness

brentos82

Question

Hello everyone

I need a little bit of help getting my buttons setup

I have a Street Fighter 2 board and a Pandoras 6 board that I want to be able to swap around without as little fuss as possible.

Currently the top 3 buttons are working with the CPS1 board and all 6 are working with the Pandora.

I know I need a kick harness to activate the remaining 3 buttons on SF2 but is there a way I can do this with one cable without too much swapping and fiddling around? My control panel wiring plugs into a distribution box then which has a connector plug on the other side where it connects up with my JAMMA cable and game board. Surely there is a way around this?

Best wishes to you all and thanks to everyone that has helped in the past :) :) : )

10 answers to this question

I'd go straight from the kick connector of the SF2 board directly to your buttons. Problem with going from the jamma harness is Pandora uses an extended pinout and breaks jamma standard, meaning button 6 for each player is connected to ground, which will render them permanently enabled. Although, if your inputs are working correctly now with the Pandora than perhaps you have already wired things accordingly, and you could splice from the jamma harness to the kick connector of the SF board.

Pretty much what Holy-SNES said.

Oh shoot, yes that wouldn't work. Sorry you reminded me Frank. The SF board last pins will be ground bridged. So plugging in the board to his rewired JAMMA harness would always ground them. You'd have to have connectors on the last 2 pins of the JAMMA harness in the cab and disconnect then when using the original SF board.

Hey guys thanks for the reply... I sorta get what you mean , but I'm confused too.

Are you saying I plug the kick harness into the SF2 board and then take the other end of the harness and solder the wires to the microswitches on buttons 4, 5, 6? ???

Could I just cut the wires from buttons 4, 5, 6 and put the wires into a plastic connector and add another connector just before it goes into the distribution box, and just plug the kick harness into that and then swap over when I play pandora. ? I attached a picture ..IMG_20180922_022944.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

For example... if I want to play Pandora I attach connector A and B together to give me 6 buttons through the JAMMA harness.. or if I want to play Street Fighter PCB I attach connectors A and C which would incorporate the kick harness? Is that right?

Appreciate the help

Edited by brentos82

Yeah that should work too. All you have to do is make sure that when SF is plugged in, button 6 (pins 27 and E on the jamma connector) don't go anywhere. I'd also look into some art classes too ;) :P

Ha ha yeh mate, i thought it would be a quick way of making a diagram rather than drawing and scanning. I was wrong! It took about 30 mins to coordinate that!!!!!

Ok so i had a poke around inside the cab and it's all actually been done for me.. The plug on the right comes down from the control panel and has the 6 kick button wires only. The rest of the buttons wires go into the D-Box and out to the JAMMA. The plug on the left hooks up to it for Pandora.

My question is when i make the Kick harness or buy it, it will be 10 pins (6 buttons, 2 ground and 2 are spare?) Where do the 2 black ground ones go...Theres only 6 kick wires coming down from the control panel. All the black wires are in with the bulk of the other wires going into the D-box.. Is this normal procedure? I'm still very new to this. I can't believe i've actually got this far with it. CRT screen is now up and running. It's been a journey!!

IMG_20180922_133450.jpg

Google Capcom CPS1 kick harness pinout for a diagram.

Yep 10 way plug but only 8 connections are utilised, the 3 x kicks for each player (so 6 connections total) and 2 x grounds. Connect the kicks to the appropriate buttons and take ground from where ever it's convenient.

It's a JST NH plug on the SF2 board, RS compoments sell them. Will need to purchase the pins as well as a basic crimping tool.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

Here's the female 10 pin housing that will connect to your SFII game board:

https://au.rs-online.com/mobile/p/pcb-connector-housings/4905628/

And the pins:

https://au.rs-online.com/mobile/p/pcb-connector-contacts/6881303/

Hi Frank.

Thanks for that. I think i can handle making the plug. Can you please elaborate on this line '' take ground from where ever it's convenient''. I'm sorry to be a pain but can you literallly take me from the Sf2 board and my newly made plug with 2 black earth wires.. Where do these 2 black wires end up?? What do i actually do with them? Do i just hook them onto some random bit of metal?

Your existing buttons will already have a ground connection, probably all chained together. In this case, you won't need to worry about any additional ground wiring. Simply connect all the kick buttons to the Street Fighter game board kick header. So go from that 6 pin square plug (guessing it's Molex or AMP) straight to the game board with the 6 required connections.