Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

HELP! What have I gotten myself into? Arcade identification needed.

FLAIMBOY

Greetings Peaceful ARCADIANS! I come from a harsh, hostile & sometimes heavily bitchy planet not far from yours named PINBALLIUS.

We eat our own for breakfast, we can’t agree on anything, and the planets surface is strewn with old (legal) mine fields ! But we all share the worship of the silverball and so we somehow manage to exist.

I am reaching out to you via the interstellar web in the hopes that you can identify what I have stumbled on and what I should do with them...

On a recent interplanetary outing snatching up a beautiful HUO Data East Star Trek Pinball machine, I spotted a couple of objects in the corner of the shed that was the pinballs home , objects that I have come to know through studying your race via AA as ‘arcade cabinets’ !

Being the kind human being I am and letting my hoarding instincts take over (always a good thing HAHA!) I asked if he wanted them removed?

Turns out they were very annoying to him so I found myself with these 2 objects also gracing my presence on the trip home.

A. What the hell have I acquired?

B. What should I do with them?

PS. In a weird twist, the big green one slathered with Street Fighter regalia actually plays TEKKEN ?!?!

PS. and the other oddball just fires up and hums…. no action.

No keys to either rear so gonna check all barrel keys I have then if no luck drill out tomorrow.

IMG_6118.thumb.JPG.c0a22dd927af2ddf8cf1c55742600889.JPGIMG_6119.thumb.JPG.82627891ff12a8e78fee696525f9ceac.JPGIMG_6120.thumb.JPG.c8b20c30483e8c0b132265322778f3a0.JPGIMG_6121.thumb.JPG.d8b73a0bda62f87d15ba6eaa5d368bc1.JPGIMG_6122.thumb.JPG.c1fa35d257004f503c77f66b05a6d280.JPGIMG_6123.thumb.JPG.bd9974d75bf20a9544ccc75345205d93.JPGIMG_6124.thumb.JPG.266b77fdf4d514ed1016aec9fd90fa31.JPGIMG_6125.thumb.JPG.a95457cc3f018dbc90474d3e25392623.JPGIMG_6126.thumb.JPG.84b07d905ad319221c6bc2917acfbbc6.JPGIMG_6127.thumb.JPG.6dbe5311c3dff42e369aaa0afd695ae0.JPGIMG_6128.thumb.JPG.9a677b869f6a24e9c715c2b391421c4f.JPGIMG_6129.thumb.JPG.2a8c22179503cd6020b9ee868052850c.JPGIMG_6132.thumb.JPG.d3faeeedfb902f5dbbddfeecd865a89f.JPGIMG_6133.thumb.JPG.d456e72b9ffc5c7f38bb0939b5b2430f.JPGIMG_6134.thumb.JPG.25264113b37ec8ec0fcb7821c8e8f558.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

You've done well.

The green cabinet is a very iconic 90s LAI cabinet. They have 26 inch monitors and were commonly used for games such as TMNT, The Simpsons and Street Fighter II.

It's JAMMA wired, and has a Kortek chassis with a Zenith tube. Those cabs sell for proper money when they are restored and running the game they are meant for. If you put a SFII board and marquee back into it, you'd be able to sell it for $1500+ to the right buyer.

You can see that it originally used to be a 4-player TMNT cab, as it has the TMNT artwork on the start buttons. Remove what covers the rest of that artwork strip and you will see that there will be space for 2 more start buttons underneath.

With working TMNT boards installed, 26 inch Green LAI TMNT cabs sell for 2k+. They are highly sought after as every barcade/arcade wants a 4-player TMNT cab.

The one at the bottom I am not at all familiar with. It looks like it's been hacked together from 2 different cabs. What a weird marquee space.

Bottom one is a Galaxy cab. In those days everyone thought they could make there own cabs and most big companies did. Going to be a jamma harness in it and they were made as a universal cabinet..

Universal cab= you put your header and artwork on it.......generic.

Chances are it will have a better quality tube and chassis in it and will be much lighter than the LAI cab.

Thank you so much everyone and especially @namastepat for your insight. Very excited now.

You've inspired me to bring it back to it's former TMNT glory.

Given that i'm in the middle of about 11 pinball restorations however I might just farm this one out.

Is there anyone in Victoria you would recommend that could do all the internals, boards etc. and controls?

And is there anyone who does all the art? (marquee, control panel etc.)

I have done a search of the AA forums and there's so many threads about the art, files, downloads, missing links, etc. that my head went into a spin.

I will hopefully get into the other one today and take some pics.

Art = @MamePatrol. I believe he may even have the necessary marquee and CPO files from doing them for other people.

The hard and expensive part will be finding a board. For a working TMNT board, expect to pay between $300-$500. You will also need it to come with the 3P and 4P harness. The cabinet will also likely have a few wiring hacks, as TMNT 4-player is wired slightly differently to Tekken 2 player, which is what is in there now. The different wiring will be to do with the coin and start buttons.

Thank you all for your help, MUCH appreciated. Big shout-outs to @namastepat @dragonlee @Autosteve and @mrjamma

I just realised I followed on from the wrong thread DOH!!!! So i'm steering it back to here now....

OK, so After a blow out, a bit of good old fashioned digging around (which usually results in things STOPPING working) , a little bit of re-seating of various doo-dads and jiggers, fuse checks, etc. .... She fired up ! And up came a very strong, bright and loud Street Fighter Zero Alpha!!! BONUS!!!!!!

... and to make it 2 wins for the morning I found the old TMNT artwork behind these black stickers, AND i'm hoping what appears to be the remains of the 4 player loom tucked up behind/under the control panel.... is that what those bundles are??

MrJamma I very much appreciate your offer and will be in touch VERY soon :)

IMG_6183.thumb.jpg.75f8d9ad3da3d05cb1661a4123b32706.jpgIMG_6182.thumb.jpg.88de0fff0ed99b66d15500d93e7aa684.jpgIMG_6186.thumb.jpg.6b3820df78947fcda16c749d9adc1748.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hey mate.

Good to see the turtle credit artwork is still alive under there. Maybe use a hair dryer to gently peel the rest. Tea tree oil on cotton wool might help get all the sticky residue off without damaging it.

Worst case Mamepatrol has repro credit artwork. He also can supply the 26" version marquee for tmnt and the control panel overlay. As mentioned in the other thread, the 4 player steel control panel can be re made/drilled by Brendan Richards on facebook as I understand (unless someone knows if he is on here too)

Sunrise still sell credit display pcb, and u can use mk4 credit board in 4 player setup too

Regarding the wiring behind there, it does look like a bit of it is missing which isnt a big deal.

As you can see from a couple of quick pics ive taken, youll need 4 credit buttons with their light up lamps. Worst case, rectangle buttons with lamps are still being sold today and you could just buy some wiring from somewhere like Jaycar and make a harness. The purple 'donatello' credit button was just a clear one, pulled apart and purple cellophane put inside it to light up purple.

Good thing dragonlee has given you extra harness. Will definitely come in handy and looks like a couple lampholders might be there too.

As mentioned, feel free to reach out

I love seeing restorations

20180922_120347.thumb.jpg.f961cda19060793cf964e854f0c34655.jpg

20180922_120355.thumb.jpg.2a57f530a9e3caae71da78ddf8cf0c9e.jpg

Edited by mrjamma

I also dug up a spare 3player/4player harness which i didnt need. My cab had 2 sets.

These harnesses connect to the game PCB and is for up/down/left/right/button 1 and 2/coin wire/credit up wire for player 3 and 4

It has a few solder patch ups but if u need it, its urs for cost of postage only.

The only thing it doesnt have is the wire for 'ground' to come from the pcb to give ground to players 3/4 buttons and sticks, but you could daisy chain from p1/p2 ground anyway

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136069[/ATTACH]

p.s. i also have a couple of pics done up in MSpaint for wire referencing. may come in handy. When it comes time let me know if you need them or any help.

Edited by mrjamma

Hey @FLAIMBOY

Just following on from your PM. I thought it might be beneficial to other people looking to do a restore in future, so am posting the requested info you were after here.

In addition to the very helpful people and other restoration threads on this forum, these are some sources I used for parts to help me complete my restore:

1. Coin mech - https://www.highway.net.au/arcade-parts/coin-mechanisms/c220-electronic-coin/3516-1.html - model C220 Front load, bottom reject.

Your photo shows to have a mech already there which looks like a Sentinel. Id say you wont need to buy a coin mech. If you need to verify, take a pic of the side of the coin mech.

2. Digital credit display PCB, MK4 credit PCB, 44 pin credit pcb edge connector to wire it up - http://www.sunrisemicro.com.au/

Looks like you already have a credit PCB and 44 pin edge connector so you may just need the credit display board - can you take a closer up pic of any labels on the credit board in your door. You may be able to re use it with some dip switch changes and just rewire to suit 4 player.

You may be able to find a 2nd hand TMNT credit PCB in the wanted section, otherwise look at an MK4 variant credit PCB as itll work the same way - if you dont already have an MK4 that is.

If needed, Id probably buy a 2nd hand credit PCB as itll be cheaper than buying new from Sunrise. Dragonlee had some for sale a couple months back, might be worth your while asking him to see if any are left.

Just to confirm how the credit system operates as someone else asked me in PM - coin goes into the chute, stores credits onto the credit PCB (in a pool), the credit digital display shows how many credits you have available, and your rectangle buttons light up.

You press the rectangle buttons to credit up whichever player/s you want to distribute your credits to from the pool. Once credits are back to Zero on the digital display, your rectangle button lights will go out as there are no more credits in the pool to distribute.

You then press 'Attack' from memory (may be 'jump') on the associated player to start the game or join in. There is no 'start' button to start the game. There was apparently someone in an overseas forum who had an asian version of TMNT or Turtles in Time, where it used 'start' instead of jump/attack - but they later had the game roms reprogrammed back to the USA version to function as above without 'start' buttons.

3. Brackets for credit display PCB - https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-117-x-20-x-2mm-zinc-round-edge-mending-plate_p3961857

On the inside of your cab, next to the coin mech area, youll see some holes drilled there already where your credit display PCB brackets used to sit before being removed. Youll need a 'make your own' bracket type of thing here. A couple of members on here took some pics and measurements of their brackets to help me make mine. I bought a bracket just short of 12cm like the attached link, and put a bend into it about 4cm in. I had to play around with angles (maybe start with 45 degree angle) to get it to sit just right. I also bought some nylon PCB spacers from Jaycar before mounting the credit display board onto the brackets. You'll notice your monitor bezel has a cutout of where the digital numbers need to display through.

4. Buttons. I used https://www.austinamusements.com.au/push-buttons.html

This is to your taste ultimately. eBay is also an option here. Some people use MCA buttons for all players except Donatello and then just buy some purple buttons for him.

I just replaced all players buttons with HAPP as they looked close enough to MCA buttons and had all the colours you need.

My cabinet already had all the rectangle buttons still there. I can see your cab currently has 2. Im not sure if the ones Austin sells are the same size as the originally used ones, maybe someone can chime in here. Otherwise measure yours and send an email to Austin to see if the ones he has can suit. Also ebay would have plenty.

As mentioned - you'll need a clear one which can pull apart so you can put some purple cellophane in.

Jaycar also sell momentary push buttons if you want to put in 'free play credit' buttons on the door for each player (wired to 'service' for each player, see below), as thats what TMNT had originally in LAI cabinets in the door

https://www.jaycar.com.au/pushbutton-push-on-momentary-spst-red-actuator/p/SP0716

5. Joysticks. http://kfe.com.au/

My cabinet had joysticks, though I still bought some in better condition from KFE.

Purple will be hard here. You can try wanted section, keep an eye out on gumtree etc. Otherwise you can use black for donatello as other's have

MCA's are available all over the place - from this forum, ebay, gumtree. I had a guy about 20 minutes away that I bought from.

You already have blue and red, so youll just need to fill in the other 2

6. Steel control panel 4 player LAI

I haven't personally dealt with him, though if you join Aussie Arcade page on facebook, look for user Brendan Richards. I believe he was making a 4 player turtles reproduction panel's

7. Artwork

user mamepatrol (Carson), his website: http://www.noodleshirt.com/

Control panel overlay, marquee and credit area if needed

Just note there are two versions of marquee for LAI - 20" version and 26" version (they are different pictures on each version cabinet). Carson should have both options available. You can choose to your taste, id personally go for the 26" version to keep it original

8. TMNT JAMMA board

KFE.com.au which is listed above, also lists 2x TMNT PCB game boards - one $400 and one $450. May be one is 2 player and one is 4 player. *shrug*

Might be worth ringing him to see if his list of PCBs is in date still.

Otherwise wanted section, KLOV forum, ebay etc.

9. Wiring

Please see the very last post in this thread here. I made up some dodgy MS Paint pictures with wiring info which I hope is useful to people

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/95089-LAI-TMNT-wiring/page2

Good luck dude!