State
    Greece
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Greece

Daytona USA full restoration

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for my English writing, because English is not my native language.

Back when Sega launched Daytona USA in the arcades, like so many people, I also had a lot of fun with this machine. After so many years I had the idea to play this loved game again, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Then I thought, it would be a great idea to build this arcade machine. The idea kept in my mind for a long time and got stronger as the months passed. So finally I got the decision to build a sit down Daytona arcade machine from scratch. While I was looking for images and accurate dimensions of this arcade machine, I found for free a Daytona arcade from a friend of mine. He told me that the machine was not working but sadly it was in a terrible condition. Unfortunately the machine was left in a field for more than 20 years, without any cover from the weather. So all these years the machine was without any protection from rain and sun. More precisely, all metal parts were totally rusted and wooden side panels had completely rotted. Far more worse, monitor was not working and all pins in all pcb's were corroded. I only counted more than 20 damaged lines in the CPU pcb. Just imagine this, when I opened the metal case below the seat, the water was about 10 centimeters high. There was no hope to resurrect all these boards and the monitor.

When I received the machine to my home, I disassembled all the parts so I could move them to the basement.

DSC02211.JPG

DSC02198.JPG

DSC02199.JPG

DSC02203.JPG

DSC02214.JPG

Disciplines of rust.

DSC02227.JPG

DSC02232.JPG

DSC03349.JPG

DSC03381.JPG

DSC03384.JPG

DSC02746.JPG

I had to manually remove all the rust from all metal parts and painted them black as they were back in 1993.

DSC03351.JPG

And here is the base with new anti rust paint (it is shiny because the paint is still wet).

DSC03355.JPG

Some parts below the seat fresh painted black.

DSC03356.JPG

DSC03357.JPG

The new mdf panels have arrived home.

DSC02725.JPG

My wife created the side logo from the scratch in 300 dpi.

Daytona_L_300dpi.jpg

I had to decide which version I should use. Saturn version is not as good as the arcade version and Dreamcast, it is a liittle bit different in graphics. Ps3 and Xbox360 versions are perfect by far but I wanted to use a crt monitor and not a modern one. Finally I think that M2 emulator was the best solution. I had a spare motherboard with a Core2duo 3.16Ghz, 4gb ram and an Ati 4350. This setup works fine with Sega M2 emulator. Sega used a 29 inch crt monitor and so I got a 29 inch crt tv. However, games of M2 emulator in 50hz crt tv's are not running smooth (there is instesively problem with scanlines in the backgrounds). So I tried to find a crt tv with vga input, but there were not many crt tv's with vga import in my country and for almost a year I didn't find anywhere. Finally, I found and bought a brand new vga crt 28 inch pc monitor. I know that it is a inch smaller but fits fine with Sega's bezel.

Here is a test with vga crt pc monitor running Daytona in resolution 640x480. Pretty nice, isn't it?

DSC03045.JPG

DSC03041.JPG

One thing that I wanted was to keep the original steering wheel and pedals. While a Logitech G25 or G27 seems like a decent solution, but the total price of restoration would have reached very high. So I used a cheap pc steering wheel where I had for years. I build a simple wooden part for connecting the metal shaft with the pc steering wheel unit. Unfortunately the force feedback is not strong because the pc steering wheel unit uses a small 24v. I know about L2M2 but I am not able to build this pcb. However I have keep the parts of force feedback just in case I find a decent solution in the future (though I am not sure if the force feedback pcb actually works).

So here is the Logitech wheel that I used. It has force feedback but the motor it is only 24v and this voltage is not strong enough to move the wheel of Sega left and right. I can hardly feel the force feedback behind Sega's wheel.

DSC01354.jpg

DSC04485.JPG

Here is the simple wooden bracket for connecting the metal shaft of the wheel with the Logitech mechanism.

DSC04483.JPG

I had to improvise for setting up the potentiometers of the pc pedals in the Sega's pedal mechanism. Yes I know, it's not beautiful but it does work.

DSC05103.JPG

Here I have connected the side panels just for testing, I had to see if they are aligned with each other.

DSC04066.JPG

And here is a test running Daytona.

DSC04458.JPG

For my sake, all speakers and sub woofer still work.

DSC04945.JPG

The side decals glued on the side panels.

DSC04936.thumb.JPG

A new thin red line around the metal base.

DSC04938.JPG

DSC04939.JPG

State
    Greece
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Greece

DSC04948.JPG

Pedals frame painted chrome.

DSC04942.JPG

I painted black the plastic back cover of the seat and I have printed a new decal for the backseat.

DSC04946.JPG

And this far the machine looks like this.

DSC04950.JPG

Right now I am trying to figure out how am I going to connect the 4 shifts of the gear box with IPAC. Sega used 3 switches for 4 shifts. If they had used another one switch, things would be much easier.

DSC05125.JPG

State
    NSW Out West
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Awesome work

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)
    Australia
    Great work! Do you have the template for all the MDF pieces you had cut? I'd like to build one some day when I have the room. I could never find accurate dimensions or plans online. Thanks.

State
    Greece
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Greece

Actually, there is no template, it's all handwork. I put the original wooden panels on top of a mdf panel and draw the outline with a pencil and then, I used a jigsaw and a router. However, I can measure for you all the panels if you want.

State
    Redlands QLD
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    158 Post(s)
    For the 3 wires only on the shifter you need to make this circuit. I also made a PCB to do the job as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    331 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan555 View Post
    For the 3 wires only on the shifter you need to make this circuit. I also made a PCB to do the job as well.
    How does one get this PCB???
    I would love one please

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    Australia
    Fantastic thread! Thanks for this!

State
    Redlands QLD
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
    How does one get this PCB???
    I would love one please
    PM Sent

State
    oakleigh victoria
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Australia
    Great work I'm looking into my first built and doing homework ATM this definitely helped!

Lads any chance i can get a copy of the pcb info on the gear shift so i can started on this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information