Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Options to repair IC that is socket mounted

femto

Question

I am working on repairing a Sonic Night Fever pinball machine. I removed the CPU from the board (which is socketed)

cpu.thumb.jpg.b4d49d9313d9fc61e8b2f1faa0c973b2.jpg

and I hope you can see some legs of the IC have broken off.

My research has shown I can fit this to a IC socket machine pinned and solder it together as well as add wire for the broken legs. My question is will this machine socketed IC fit back into the socket on the board? I have no machine pin sockets to test with so thought someone might have some experience.

5 answers to this question

I am working on repairing a Sonic Night Fever pinball machine. I removed the CPU from the board (which is socketed)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135765[/ATTACH]

and I hope you can see some legs of the IC have broken off.

My research has shown I can fit this to a IC socket machine pinned and solder it together as well as add wire for the broken legs. My question is will this machine socketed IC fit back into the socket on the board? I have no machine pin sockets to test with so thought someone might have some experience.

Yes

When repairing broken legs on IC's I just use Low Production Dual Wipe sockets.

I insert the chip into a new socket of the same size, push the donor legs out of another dual wipe socket and insert them into the holes where the missing pins are, a bit of flux to help with the soldering process and solder the new legs to the IC.

They will be perfectly aligned and no fiddling around trying to hold the donor pin and IC while trying to solder it.

You can then remove the IC from the carrier and refit it to the board or solder the carrier socket and IC directly to the PCB if you've removed the old socket.

Quick and easy, let me know if you need some images to explain the process better.

You still have the shoulder of the original pin on the chip making for a relatively easy repair, (it's much harder when you need to grind away a bit of the chip case to get to the leg).

Push a replacement pins like wiredoug says, into the socket that needs the pins and then push the chip back in the socket. The socket will hold the pins and the chip in place for you them quickly solder the broken pins to the chip.

Fast is the trick so run the heat right up on your soldering iron and only hold the iron on the parts for a couple of seconds. Chips prefer high heat for less time rather than low heat for a longer time.

Do one pin at a time and allow the chip to cool before attempting the next pin.

P.S.....don't touch the chip's pins as it is likely to a be static sensitive chip. If you must handle the pins ground yourself first.