Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Playstation 1 Laser

Hey everyone, my playstation laser seems to have given up the ghost. I put a game in and it spins for a bit and then gives up (you can open the lid and press down on a little tab in the top right hand corner and it will think that the tray is closed). Is there anything I could do to fix this and if not, what should I be looking for in terms of a replacement laser? Will the generic ones they sell on ebay do or is there still a way to get sony OEM ones?

Bloody PS1 lasers. My arch enemy back in the day

I used to try cleaning it with a cue tip, but didnt save me none. Still had to keep restarting until it would read.

I had the original first release PS1s (the one with 3 individual RCA connections on the back) and about 2 years into ownership it wouldnt read discs anymore.

Ended up buying another PS1 in the end.

Interesting thing was, the 2nd PS1's laser position was in a different spot to the first release. Not exactly sure why, I always thought maybe it was a heat thing or too many failures with the first design *shrug*.

My second PS1 gave me good life and is still at my parents place stored away. Was working last time it was used a few years back. I gave my first broken PS1 to my Uncle back in 98. Back then he hassled the crap out of Sony for an out of warranty repair and they ended up doing it for him. He also still has it

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound obvious or dumb but seeing as no one has said it, have you turned it upside down.... try running it on it's side or upside down

Be careful with the laser pots, while i'm not too sure if you can cause damage on a PS1 you can definitely blow ICs on the PS2 doing that.

PlayStation drives are really terrible

Back in the day I returned a ps2 to Sony because it wouldn't read discs

I had a PS3 that wouldn't read a certain game, I took the game back to the store and the second one wouldn't read either and I ended up buying another PS3 second hand that would read it

Sony never had much luck with their support

NEVER buy a Sony car stereo the support is next to nothing and is not done by Sony but another company

• 1 year later...

How did you go with the replacement swap out? I bought one off ebay that doesn't read disks and didn't have grease applied to the gears so I doubt its ever been set properly at all.

Heres a couple of guides on making the adjustments.

BTW, those first generation PS1 consoles are known for having good 'warm' vinyl like CDDA audio, so worth repairing if you're an audiophile.