State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Australia

Novus

At a recent hosueball i was introduced to the magical "Novus". Just went to get some off EBay however came across it comes in types 1,2 & 3. Is there a particular one that is the unanimous choice ?
    Decide how you want to live and then see what you can do to make a living WITHIN that way of life

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    828 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulJuke View Post
    At a recent hosueball i was introduced to the magical "Novus". Just went to get some off EBay however came across it comes in types 1,2 & 3. Is there a particular one that is the unanimous choice ?
    They are related but different products with different uses, like different grits in sand paper:

3 for deep scratches, quite abrasive
    2 for small scratches, a little abrasive
    1 to finish and shine, not abrasive

In my experience 3 is not frequently used in pinball. I only use 2 when I do a full strip and clean of a filthy machine. I use 1 when I'm polishing plastics.
    Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ajfclark View Post
    They are related but different products with different uses, like different grits in sand paper:

3 for deep scratches, quite abrasive
    2 for small scratches, a little abrasive
    1 to finish and shine, not abrasive

In my experience 3 is not frequently used in pinball. I only use 2 when I do a full strip and clean of a filthy machine. I use 1 when I'm polishing plastics.

Cheers mate - these guys were using it on a play field, I'm assuming that it was most likely #2 for that? Mainly what i am using it for
    Decide how you want to live and then see what you can do to make a living WITHIN that way of life

State
    Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1578 Post(s)
    #2 is generally accepted as best for most general pinball applications (Playfield + plastics).
    Dave
    Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    828 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulJuke View Post
    Cheers mate - these guys were using it on a play field, I'm assuming that it was most likely #2 for that? Mainly what i am using it for
    Yes, #2 is great for cleaning a playfield if you need to use something abrasive. Once it's been cleaned though I don't find that I need to use Novus very often at all.

I usually start with a vacuum. Microfibre cloth. Then naphtha (shellite). Anything that doesn't get off I might try Novus #2 . Deep ball swirl won't come out without removing part or all of the top coat so I usually leave it. Wax with pure carnauba paste wax.

I'm only working on older machines. Diamond coated playfields (Terminator 2?) and beyond might be different. They'll certainly hold up to the use of Novus #2 better, but I still would not use it as my every time cleaner.
    Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Australia
    Agreed, novus 2 to clean up something really bad, donít use it every time.

For maintenance I use Mr Sheen to clean and polish everything including rubbers and Novus 1 to clean the flipper rubbers (they donít behave the same w mr sheen eg post pass is ruined).

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1809 Post(s)
    Australia

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    828 Post(s)
    Australia
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1809 Post(s)
    Australia
    hmm i guess the search expires.
    Go click advanced search in top right , in keyword(s) type novus then select "Search titles only" then click search now.
    That will bring up a stack of novus threads.

Thread Information