Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Output to JAMMA wired cabinet via J-PAC / CRT_emu AND to an LCD monitor

I have a JAMMA wired astro city cabinet that I would like to output to from my PC through CRT_emu @ 15hz. I would like to simultaneously be able to output to a modern LCD monitor @ 60hz.

I'm looking to purchase a compatible Radeon R9 series card to facilitate this - I'd like both screens to be running from the one R9.

Is this feasible? Has someone else done this previously that can shed any light onto how it should be done? :)

I am not an expert in these things, but I think it is possible depending on what you actually want to achieve.

Do you want to output the same image that is being displayed? so you would be able to play the Astro and watch the game play on the LCD but not control it?

You could buy a two port VGA splitter and a video converter to change the 15hz to 60hz the products below are just an example I am not recommending you buy these.

https://au.element14.com/mcm/83-11680/2-port-vga-splitter/dp/2783634?mckv=sESiX4QFR_dc|pcrid|59148083448|pkw||pmt||slid||product|2783634|pgrid|12550800888|ptaid|pla-401503001734|&CMP=KNC-GOO-SHOPPING-2783634&gclid=CjwKCAjwlejcBRAdEiwAAbj6KWdzZOWfyYtxN-mn4TFwq7TGQdf2bdfCaMZVsWiG8KQIo-VHC27EGhoCB9wQAvD_BwE&gross_price=true

http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html

If you want to be able to play two different instances of mame on two different screens then I don't think that's possible. But if you want to link the screens to play the same mame game at the same time some people link multiple Daytona cabs up to play together so that kind of thing is possible.

I suggest the easiest solution might be to use the PC for the Astro and buy a cheap raspberry Pi to run whatever on the LCD.

Also just in case you don't already know it is important to leave your Astro cab off until the PC is fully booted before turning on the monitor as you risk damaging it with the signal changes that the PC sends during boot, this can even happen when using a J-PAC.

See this thread. (Not sure why dragonlee deleted his posts in the thread?)

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/68425-Hold-issue-on-MS8-26SE-chassis?

Yeah, it depends on exactly what you’re trying to do.

If you want to clone the displays and show the same thing on both screens, that’s hard, and RAT’s idea with the video splitter and then upconverter for the LCD is probably the only way it’s going to work. You won’t ever be able to use the LCD’s native resolution, windows and games will always be in 15kHz. The reverse, where you make the LCD the primary in windows, and clone the displays using a downscaler on the other port, won’t work as easily if at all, and the CRT might not look great in the end. I doubt something like AMD’s VSR is going to go as low as 15kHz, either.

If what you want is to setup your 15kHz CRT then plug in an LCD and extend the desktop, to do different things with different screens, that should work with just the compatible card. You’ll get a metric ****ton of teething troubles, but it should be possible to overcome them. You may need ways to help games target particular displays. And you won’t automatically be able to run two games at once because of focus issues. Some might work, though.