Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sugar

I recall a thread by Acejas about sugar, years ago, buried deep now I spose.

I knew the day would come, when my doctor said...your a diabetic. I expected it decades ago, so I had a good run eating anything I wanted lol

8 days ago was my diagnosis, its been 8 since my last sugary food, takeaway or adding sugar to my coffee etc. I gave away my iced coffees, chocolate, cakes, red frogs etc. Day 2 was tough, cravings, headaches, and lacking energy. Day 3 and 4 my limbs ached, and had no energy, but only minor headaches. Day 4 was ok, I felt ok lol. From day 5 onwards, I have felt better each day. My thought is clearer, and I feel a general mental boost. The headaches have gone, and my energy is back. No cravings or aches at all. I havent felt this good in years. Hopefully I will kick the diabetes.

Hope you do win over diabetes.

I had to give up caffeine, sugary foods, and alcohol all at once from December on. It just takes time. I feel heaps better.

It's amazing how much garbage we put into ourselves without giving it much thought. Then as you get old things start to catch up with you.

Good luck with the battle!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

The key is moderation with many things that tempt us or are just convenient and too often the message somehow gets forgotten until it's too late, then drastic lifestyle changes are required. It's unbelievable and frightening the amount of sugar and preservatives that's contained in processed foods.

Good on you, and its not easy. I have been off the sugar for around 6 months, no sugary drinks ( beer exception ), sweets etc.

The hardest part I have found, it is basically in everything that is processed!! So anything packaged will have sugar in it. All the good fats and flavours and have been removed from food and replaced with sugary supplements, so that bottle of tomato sauce is harbouring more sugar than a can of coke.

I will still have sugar ( has I said nearly impossible to not unless you eat everything unprocessed ) but I to have found the rewards in health very beneficial. Currently I do a roast of just fresh vegetables once a week ( Potato, Sweet potato, pumpkin, parsnip, mush rooms, red and yellow capsicum, mushrooms, red onion beetroot, garlic etc) and that provides me with 3 meals a week I accomodate with different meat. Funny its a lot cheaper as well!!

No sugary things in the pantry anymore, and wow when you have something with sugar in it you really do notice!!

Keep it up and lets get sugar free!!

you can still have coffee with stevia,it takes a few days to get used to but then seems normal

I would say you can still have coffee without a sweetener, it also takes a few days to get used to. Best of luck for the future by the way.

I would say you can still have coffee without a sweetener, it also takes a few days to get used to. Best of luck for the future by the way.

Absolutely , you are having a coffee, not a sugar infused drink. Drink the bitter bean :)

Edit : also have given up cows milk (Not my mother not my milk :lol ) , so now just soy. That took a while to used to, thats another thread though...

Sugar

Sorry to hear this.

Great to see the changes you’ve already made. I’m really happy when I see people who have a chance to beat this disease (T2 if you catch it early enough) really have a good crack at it.

Make sure you don’t just look at sugar as the enemy. Do plenty of research into how your body processes other stuff too. It will really help to get your BGLs down.

As a T1 diabetic all I can say is to do your best to beat or at least slow down the process as needles and pricks in the finger all day suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not using any sweetener in coffee, and am enjoying it now...seems to have more flavor, plus a little more bitter.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep Im with you on that one too.

I also dont believe in moderation when youre addicted to sugar (think opiates)

I heard about a lab experiment, where rats were given a bowl of cocaine to nibble on, and a bowl of sugar. They ate the sugar, left the coke alone. They then gave cocaine addicted rats a choice of coke, or sugar....they eventually gave up the coke, and only went for the sugar. It's a drug no doubt.

Speaking of no sugar what do you using as a substitute ?

I can't hack coffee without some sort of sweetener and now i can't have caffeine or cows milk either. ordering a soy decaf with a sweetener just makes me cringe every time. I even got an lecture from one barista about aspartame as he begrudgingly pulled out a sachet of equal. I didn't last long with these artifical sweeteners the chem taste a turnoff. I use half a level teaspoon of honey now in both tea and coffee. It's a compromise but from a bit of reading the body processes honey much slower than sugar so you don't get that spike that sugar gives you.

Have also had to switch to no caffeine tea mostly so i drink rooibos which at first was weird but now i really like it. I don't like herbal teas at all but rooibos being made from the bark of a tree just tastes really different and is chock full of antioxidants.

It's good to have a tea to drink in bed while reading that won't stop you from getting to sleep.

Speaking of no sugar what do you using as a substitute ?

I can't hack coffee without some sort of sweetener and now i can't have caffeine or cows milk either. ordering a soy decaf with a sweetener just makes me cringe every time. I even got an lecture from one barista about aspartame as he begrudgingly pulled out a sachet of equal. I didn't last long with these artifical sweeteners the chem taste a turnoff. I use half a level teaspoon of honey now in both tea and coffee. It's a compromise but from a bit of reading the body processes honey much slower than sugar so you don't get that spike that sugar gives you.

Have also had to switch to no caffeine tea mostly so i drink rooibos which at first was weird but now i really like it. I don't like herbal teas at all but rooibos being made from the bark of a tree just tastes really different and is chock full of antioxidants.

It's good to have a tea to drink in bed while reading that won't stop you from getting to sleep.

You could try the bulletproof style coffee with a dollop of good unsalted butter or coconut oil. The high MCT ones are best. The fats are very satiating in the absence of sweetness. I’m on the bonsoy which is the only real soy milk. The rest are rubbish. It’s creamy and smooth.

You could try the bulletproof style coffee with a dollop of good unsalted butter or coconut oil. The high MCT ones are best. The fats are very satiating in the absence of sweetness. I’m on the bonsoy which is the only real soy milk. The rest are rubbish. It’s creamy and smooth.
Yep Bonsoy for me too. All the best cafe's use it as well.

@Rat i had to give up most dairy as it is high in fat and cholesterol. My 'episode' last December was due to untreated high blood pressure (hypertension range) and high cholesterol. Cows milk is not very good for anyone it seems?

There are heaps of good sources of calcium that aren't cow milk. Seeds, lentils, leafy greens to name a few. Since December I put myself on the DASH diet (diet against systolic hypertension) there are heaps of great sites on the web describing the food. I've never eaten or felt better in my life. It's made a massive difference to my well being!