Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

1978 Stern Stars Leds

SPURR

Question

15 answers to this question

I would've said inline rather than piggyback, but does he mean things like this? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-09-011-043

Converting early Bally or Stern pinball machines to LEDs (light emitting diodes) is easy and effective for general illumination lamps, but because of their very low current draw, LED switched or controlled feature lamps flash on and off every 8 milliseconds and create an annoying flicker.

detail.jpg

There's a related product for Aux Lamp Boards.

No need for a new lamp board if you are a bit handy

https://peakpinball.com/2014/01/05/medusa-pinball-machine-bally-1981-led-upgrade/

Quite an easy mod and completely invisible with the board installed ie looks original

The other option is to add a resistor to each lamp socket

I did this mod on my Black Pyramid and it works but I do have about 5 LEDS that occasionally do flicker but that machine is powered by a generator and never mains so that may have a bit to do with it. I want to go back and do it again only this time use 470 ohm resistor banks so the higher resistance will stop it on every LED all the time.

I did read 470 ohm is the better value.

I did take this mod a bit further and ran the common through an unused position in the connector, there is a couple, and ran that wire through the harness and connected it to the backbox ground rather than having a single wire just hanging waiting to get ripped out and so looking in the backbox looks factory.

Edited by Autosteve

Yeah the resistance isn’t quite enough.

I had to change a couple of scr’s to eliminate flicker.

I heard someone used 990ohm to get rid of it.

I think these are 470ohm?

Sockets can also be the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yer sorry. 470 ohm is correct. Gotta match the arrays pin count with that of the board connector pin count, I think there are two different connector pin numbers does the whole board and also you need the arrays that have a single common rail but they are so cheap each unit. The pins on the arrays line up perfectly with the pins on the Bally boards and you end up with one vacant pin at the end of each array. This is the common pin that in the end goes to ground.

I thought it was a pretty cool mod that cost me a couple of bucks, got the parts local, RS Spares and allowed me to re-solder all the board connector pins at the same time.