Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dealership servicing

Not going to identify anyone... but

I own 2 cars - both Subaru

Car A. Serviced Feb. doesn’t do much driving. They told me the battery needed charging - take it a long drive.

No real issue with anything.

Car B. Serviced today. Guess what comment I got.... yep battery needed recharge.. Hang on it drove 500 km yesterday. Hang on the battery is 2 months old. Hang on that’s what yo7 said about my last car.

Hang on is this a new type of gee up?

Why are you taking it back to a dealership?

If your vehicle is serviced by a licenced mechanic, your warranty is as good as if you took it to the dealer, as long as records of the services are kept and service book stamped.

I have a mate who is a service manager at a very large Holden dealership, he tells me half the time the oil filters dont even get changed, plugs are not changed at 100,000 unless their is a problem, etc.

Plenty of things get overlooked as the lube techs are apprentices and they cant be bothered, they will tell you they have done checks when they have not, they even at times guess the wear on brake pads, the manager then doing his job, quotes it out then tells you it needs attention, not saying they are all like this, but I would say when busy it would happen fairly often.

Go find a Mechanic and support the little bloke, you will save some $$ too :)

Not going to identify anyone... but

I own 2 cars - both Subaru

Car A. Serviced Feb. doesn’t do much driving. They told me the battery needed charging - take it a long drive.

No real issue with anything.

Car B. Serviced today. Guess what comment I got.... yep battery needed recharge.. Hang on it drove 500 km yesterday. Hang on the battery is 2 months old. Hang on that’s what yo7 said about my last car.

Hang on is this a new type of gee up?

what could be happening is it has surface charged, which can happens with Gell or calcium batteries so needs a deep cycle Or multi stage charge if they go completely flat, so some times driving wont charge them completely, and so can go flat and so allot of people think they are stuffed as they dont hold charge. So many people Dump perfectly good Calcium Batteries because Of not using the correct charger and so they arent fully charging, Relying on the alternator to recharge a flat calcium or gell battery doesn't work in all cases. The alternator will top them up not charge them from fully flat and so Surface charge only a fully flat battery. Most of us are used to the traditional Lead acid battery which doesnt require a special charger and can fully charge from flat with the alternator.

So you need to fully charge with correct type of charger. a regular battery charger could say its fully charged However its not and it is only surface charged. could that be going on?

check to see if its Calcium and if so buy the correct charger and put it on charge. Eg a multi stage Charger

Edited by jason1

Battery= electrical....local auto electrician.

Most modern car problems are electrically related so my advice is get to know your auto electrician.

If he is any good as mine is, he is simply to busy to do jobs that aren't needed unlike a dealership that employs apprentices which I like but not when they charge a tradesman's wage to do some of the work some of the time but always charge whether they do the job or not.

Battery not charging correctly is either a near dead battery or faulty alternator or lack of use.

Some of the new batteries , ie calcium, will not recover full charge if they go completely flat. 65% if I remember correct.

With the correct charger they will fully recharge, Eg a multi stage charger, But you are correct they wont fully charge with a regular Lead acid battery charger or alternator they wont fully charge after going flat, both those will top up a battery but not fully charge a calcium battery.

Well he should be, as above, if he has a calcium battery you need the right charger to de-sulphate and recharge them,

100% agree, if you have battery Issues its good to actually know something about them before wasting money on a new one you dont need simply because of lack Of knowledge on them, Mechanics tend to not mention these things so they can sell you a new battery, Or the dealership charging you money at service to simply charge a battery, Like whats happening with the OP.

Allot of people dont actually know much about calcium batteries and require the correct charger, seeing most new cars have calcium batteries its an important thing to know and something to look out for. nothing worse than spending money and its actually allot of money replacing something that is still good, We have enough landfill already.

So its well worth the OP checking to see if its a calcium battery or not.

If its only surfaced charged then it will keep going flat or isnt putting out enough power to power everything in the car and gives the appearance its buggered when its actually because its not correctly charged.

• 2 weeks later...