Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Shipping container sheds. Anyone done this?

• 3 weeks later...

On Friday after work I scrambled to plumb the tank since lots of rain was coming. Was getting dark so I gave up. Finished it today, so hopefully six months from now when it rains well collect some water :D

Also put up some of these little Bobby dazzlers. They are little solar downlights we picked up from ALDI. They clip onto the gutter and should look good between the posts when they finally go up :)

IMG_20191013_130825.thumb.jpg.2467a1a978a06ed4703e5b48a9807190.jpg

IMG_20191013_125921.thumb.jpg.b506c1a463adbd026aa85598a2c4a976.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well damn! The water tank filled to overflowing (1100 litres) after only two good showers! I really didn't think that much water would come off the top of a container! We've planted a few plants around the block to get a garden started before the house gets built. I've been using buckets of water from the tank to water them. Very satisfying using water that was just going to go down the stormwater drains :)

Using a bucket also has made me more aware of how much water is being used.

• 3 weeks later...
Yer 1100 liters isn't a great saving water bill wise. About $2-3 of water in a tank that usually cost about $600-800 for the tank itself. Hard to justify the cost I think when town water is available. I like the crate style 1000 liter tanks myself. Not as easy to place around the house cosmetically but they are everywhere and cost about $20 to buy second hand. Just make sure to only grab the black ones and never the white ones. The whites let the sun in and then you get algae growing in the tank. They get so much algae in them, it blocks the tap at the bottom over time. Before that happens if you run irrigation piping to things like soaker hoses, these block up.

The water tanks are a great idea, but you really need a few, plus a system that lets the first part drain off before filling the tanks, its the crap off the roof ( bird turds, dust, seeds, general crap that blows around ) that gets washed down in the first shower that makes it go bad.

Connect up a pump connected to a retic system and let it do the watering for you.

Yer 1100 liters isn't a great saving water bill wise. About $2-3 of water in a tank that usually cost about $600-800 for the tank itself. Hard to justify the cost I think when town water is available. I like the crate style 1000 liter tanks myself. Not as easy to place around the house cosmetically but they are everywhere and cost about $20 to buy second hand. Just make sure to only grab the black ones and never the white ones. The whites let the sun in and then you get algae growing in the tank. They get so much algae in them, it blocks the tap at the bottom over time. Before that happens if you run irrigation piping to things like soaker hoses, these block up.

Yep just setting up 8 of those IBC tanks behind my shed, might even grab another 2 to even it up, little way off from finishing it all, I have the white ones, but going to cover the whole thing to keep it looking ok from the neighbours side.

May only be a few $ in water, but great to use on the garden on those hot days.

Bear in mind that that's 2 or 3 dollars of wateryoi don't have at all if water restrictions come in. Also this is just the tank on the shed. We will have a 3000 litre for thehouse. Also hoping to get the plumber to fit a grey water valve for the laundry tub at least and also at least one of the showers.

Will look at the valvey thingies that bypass the first bit of water off the roof too :)

• 4 months later...

Latest on the build. Lost excitement over the shed (workshop really) because they finally started building the house. But now the house build has stalled attention turns back to this :lol

So basically we glued these pavers and edges on top of the retaining wall to stop most things falling down the gap. Gravity holds the pavers in place, plus the glue but also top soil will go over the ground side of the pavers.

487f63fe88e26c2bd5b2dfda5c54ed66.thumb.jpg.63f2850bc4f2f77ba69aef66bbd926d8.jpg

a3e9ec6fe2add951dbee277dc080c6b7.thumb.jpg.19f107fe6ebb6f4fa5ab20b1fbfcc634.jpg

• Like 2

Latest on the build. Lost excitement over the shed (workshop really) because they finally started building the house. But now the house build has stalled attention turns back to this :lol

So basically we glued these pavers and edges on top of the retaining wall to stop most things falling down the gap. Gravity holds the pavers in place, plus the glue but also top soil will go over the ground side of the pavers.

Just a thought, will water get trapped down there or is there some kind of drainage system.

Danny, you need a farm so you can let your imagination go wild. No power so you need to create your own, no water so you have to harvest your own. Amazing utilising what the land supplys rather than what the store supplys. Teachs you to be very resourceful. Just saying.

Just a thought, will water get trapped down there or is there some kind of drainage system.

Nah, it's sitting on sleepers. Until the house went up, water would pretty gush under the container because of large area of hard bare ground above it but now there is a house (with gutters) virtually nothing gets there. And once there is lawn growing there (right side of the pavers in that pic) pretty much nothing. Just those few drops of rain that fall directly on the left side of those pavers.

Steve I know what you mean. On his farm dad made a water tank stand using old car tail shafts welded together. But in our suburban block we want things to look a little more elegant. So 'farm' innovation, using mostly bought stuff. It's what us AAers do best :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This has been a great thread Danny. I really like the stirrup idea and look forward to seeing the posts installed. If you get flack from the neighbors you could runs horizontal timber slats on the posts to screen it out completely.

Keep up the good work mate.

• Like 1

Thanks Woody. The nosey neighbour only stuck his beak in when it was a vacant lot. No one can really see the container now. But if I get bored of the look, slats are a good idea :cool:

Was it this nosey neighbor?

image_152075.jpg.3be910fc5bba219f413dc02d9d366b3f.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Put some of the posts in last weekend. My carpentry is rough as guts, but there's nothing some Packers made from 5mm fibre cement and a whole bunch of no more gaps can't fix. It ALMOST makes Cropper Brothers Landscapers look good 😃

IMG_20200712_152708.thumb.jpg.250595cf1c57e576939235bcfe28d4b0.jpg

IMG_20200712_152724.thumb.jpg.98463d913bbf99fd69f9f4fdca2801f9.jpg

IMG_20200712_152747.thumb.jpg.2c8ec337c92e83904f87976c7b04905b.jpg

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...