State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      88 Post(s)
      Quoted
      621 Post(s)
      Australia

Long-swinging tilt bobs

The other day, I had a game on Party Zone. I made a move and tilted. The game had previously been tilting at surprising moments, without provocation, and I had a feeling that the tilt bob might off-centre. Immediately after I tilted, we opened the coin door and had a look. Sure enough, the tilt bob was swinging. I started my stop watch. It was still swinging noticeably three and a half minutes later!

The issue wasn't that the tilt bob was off-centre (it wasn't), but that the bloody thing just kept swinging forever.

Here is a novel approach at stopping the motion:

And a follow-up video:

But, rather than hitting the machine, I think the following is a much more elegant solution:

I don't think dampening the tilt bob will influence how easy/hard it is to tilt the machine. Just adjust the tilt to the desired sensitivity as usual.

I really like the dampening idea. It's much better than the endless waiting around at tournaments after someone has tilted or walks away with a double danger so the tilt bob can settle. The waiting takes the momentum out of things, and no-one likes having to do it. And, after what I learned from the 3.5 minute timing experiment, with an un-dampened tilt bob, I'm now inclined to wait two minutes instead of my usual one minute…

Michi.
      May the pinballs tumble in your direction!

is probably slacking off from
      studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      53 Post(s)
      Quoted
      788 Post(s)
      Australia
      Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

This user has no status.

----

State
      SA
      Mentioned
      19 Post(s)
      Quoted
      129 Post(s)
      Australia
      Never bothered testing this, might be worth timing it, but I believe that mounting a plumb bob upside-down should make it stop swinging a lot quicker. The weight of the plumb bob is then higher up on the shaft much closer to the pivot point
      www.pinballmuseum.com.au
      www.facebook.com/pinballmuseum

is selling off some stuff to get
      some space back.

Bemused

State
      Central Coast,NSW
      Mentioned
      278 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1808 Post(s)
      New Zealand
      I can't remember the last time I tilted a pin that was set up as medium/normal play.
      I respect that some players will test the limits on how far they can push a 135kg machine around BUT I treat my beasts and even the ones on site with a little and I mean little nudge.
      I've seen some shockers on security cameras when abusive players push them into the wall to save a drain. I've seen in person a player play an onsite game with the owners next to him slide the machine 6" and they didn't raise an eyebrow that this clown was trying to destroy their 2 week old metallica slamming into the wall when the ball drained.

studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      53 Post(s)
      Quoted
      788 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Brk_oth View Post
      Never bothered testing this, might be worth timing it, but I believe that mounting a plumb bob upside-down should make it stop swinging a lot quicker. The weight of the plumb bob is then higher up on the shaft much closer to the pivot point
      Also means if it loosens that it makes the tilt tighter and the bob can't fall off.
      Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

is having a status just so he
      doesn't have no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      88 Post(s)
      Quoted
      621 Post(s)
      Australia

This thread wasn't meant to be about machine abuse, but about cutting down on the wait times after someone has tilted. (With a dampener installed, the tilt sensitivity can still be adjusted to any level that's desired.)

The issue with long-swinging tilt bobs is that, if player 1 gets a warning or tilts (normally, not abusively), that can easily affect player 3 or even player 4. With a dampener, the tilt bob stops swinging more quickly, making things fairer and cutting down on wait time between balls.

Michi.

studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      53 Post(s)
      Quoted
      788 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Michi View Post
      This thread wasn't meant to be about machine abuse, but about cutting down on the wait times after someone has tilted. (With a dampener installed, the tilt sensitivity can still be adjusted to any level that's desired.)

The issue with long-swinging tilt bobs is that, if player 1 gets a warning or tilts (normally, not abusively), that can easily affect player 3 or even player 4. With a dampener, the tilt bob stops swinging more quickly, making things fairer and cutting down on wait time between balls.

Michi.
      Yup. That "The Pinball Tilt" video does an excellent job of explaining why too. It's interesting to compare the motion of a hook and bracket setup vs the old push nut on a rod setup.

eg.
      vs

The push nut style doesn't settle the same way, nor does it settle faster on front to back motion compared to side to side like the hook and bracket style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brk_oth View Post
      It also appears in the Bally Parts Catalog like that at some point:

is aHHHRRWWWWW.....

Cool

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      85 Post(s)
      Quoted
      107 Post(s)
      Australia
      I remember a couple year ago they put some ear plugs in to dampen the bob from swinging too much at acs

is having a status just so he
      doesn't have no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      88 Post(s)
      Quoted
      621 Post(s)
      Australia

The push nut style doesn't settle the same way, nor does it settle faster on front to back motion compared to side to side like the hook and bracket style.
      Yep. And it costs more to make, so no-one uses it

Michi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSoap View Post
      I remember a couple year ago they put some ear plugs in to dampen the bob from swinging too much at acs
      Nice to hear! It's a change for the better, IMO.

Michi.

studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      53 Post(s)
      Quoted
      788 Post(s)
      Australia
      I actually think the side to side bias on the hook style is an advantage @Michi. Side to side stuff tilts, little front to back bumps don't. That seems like a good thing to me.

The settling into one of the 2 major axis and then tilting is less good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information