Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Long-swinging tilt bobs

Michi

The other day, I had a game on Party Zone. I made a move and tilted. The game had previously been tilting at surprising moments, without provocation, and I had a feeling that the tilt bob might off-centre. Immediately after I tilted, we opened the coin door and had a look. Sure enough, the tilt bob was swinging. I started my stop watch. It was still swinging noticeably three and a half minutes later!

The issue wasn't that the tilt bob was off-centre (it wasn't), but that the bloody thing just kept swinging forever.

Here is a novel approach at stopping the motion:

And a follow-up video:

But, rather than hitting the machine, I think the following is a much more elegant solution:

I don't think dampening the tilt bob will influence how easy/hard it is to tilt the machine. Just adjust the tilt to the desired sensitivity as usual.

I really like the dampening idea. It's much better than the endless waiting around at tournaments after someone has tilted or walks away with a double danger so the tilt bob can settle. The waiting takes the momentum out of things, and no-one likes having to do it. And, after what I learned from the 3.5 minute timing experiment, with an un-dampened tilt bob, I'm now inclined to wait two minutes instead of my usual one minute… :(

Michi.

Never bothered testing this, might be worth timing it, but I believe that mounting a plumb bob upside-down should make it stop swinging a lot quicker. The weight of the plumb bob is then higher up on the shaft much closer to the pivot point

I can't remember the last time I tilted a pin that was set up as medium/normal play.

I respect that some players will test the limits on how far they can push a 135kg machine around BUT I treat my beasts and even the ones on site with a little and I mean little nudge.

I've seen some shockers on security cameras when abusive players push them into the wall to save a drain. I've seen in person a player play an onsite game with the owners next to him slide the machine 6" and they didn't raise an eyebrow that this clown was trying to destroy their 2 week old metallica slamming into the wall when the ball drained.

Never bothered testing this, might be worth timing it, but I believe that mounting a plumb bob upside-down should make it stop swinging a lot quicker. The weight of the plumb bob is then higher up on the shaft much closer to the pivot point
Also means if it loosens that it makes the tilt tighter and the bob can't fall off.

This thread wasn't meant to be about machine abuse, but about cutting down on the wait times after someone has tilted. (With a dampener installed, the tilt sensitivity can still be adjusted to any level that's desired.)

The issue with long-swinging tilt bobs is that, if player 1 gets a warning or tilts (normally, not abusively), that can easily affect player 3 or even player 4. With a dampener, the tilt bob stops swinging more quickly, making things fairer and cutting down on wait time between balls.

Michi.

This thread wasn't meant to be about machine abuse, but about cutting down on the wait times after someone has tilted. (With a dampener installed, the tilt sensitivity can still be adjusted to any level that's desired.)

The issue with long-swinging tilt bobs is that, if player 1 gets a warning or tilts (normally, not abusively), that can easily affect player 3 or even player 4. With a dampener, the tilt bob stops swinging more quickly, making things fairer and cutting down on wait time between balls.

Michi.

Yup. That "The Pinball Tilt" video does an excellent job of explaining why too. It's interesting to compare the motion of a hook and bracket setup vs the old push nut on a rod setup.

eg.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mMfb49IZ2TQ/T6bUIfSyShI/AAAAAAAAAW0/p7Ubw9sWP0w/s1600/glossary_tilt_mech.jpg vs http://www.pbresource.com/tilt/gtb-tilt70.jpg

The push nut style doesn't settle the same way, nor does it settle faster on front to back motion compared to side to side like the hook and bracket style.

- - - Updated - - -

It also appears in the Bally Parts Catalog like that at some point:

bally1.jpg

The push nut style doesn't settle the same way, nor does it settle faster on front to back motion compared to side to side like the hook and bracket style.

Yep. And it costs more to make, so no-one uses it :(

Michi.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember a couple year ago they put some ear plugs in to dampen the bob from swinging too much at acs

Nice to hear! It's a change for the better, IMO.

Michi.

Side to side stuff tilts, little front to back bumps don't. That seems like a good thing to me.

Good point. Personally, I hardly ever nudge side to side, other than to encourage a ball to come off a side rail half-way up the playfield, or some such. The reason is that I think, overall, side-to-side movement is much more likely to cause a tilt than front-to-back movement.

The settling into one of the 2 major axis and then tilting is less good.

The section in the video about the elliptical movement (eventually causing contact with the ring) was very convincing to me. Personally, I think the earplug thing is a brilliant idea. Cheap, fast, low-tech, and effective. It doesn't get much better than that…

Michi.

Edited by Michi

The machine in question Party Zone. I just tried a few thing from the video I got one warning,the knocking up and down will not do that if in a comp and you do that might affect the player next to you.

Not every machine is the same because if it is you would get the same result every time and you would know who would win run second and so on. Your tilt warning mainly come from pushing the machine from side to side and you may not notice it but a small push from the start starts it off.

Remember that in machines you may have a ball lock and it will push up a ball to a ramp when doing that when you have the Plumb Bob rocking will keep it rocking.

What you not call a big slap other players do.

With the ear plugs I have tried them before and guess what come the end of the day they don’t work,why simple is they are foam being metal will and it will cut through so if you play a game and it ends up cutting through falls down hits plumb bob sits on the side tilts the machine out now is that fair to a player who either plays for a game or is in a comp.

I don’t think there is one player on here who will s@y that’s fair.

As far as time waiting for the plumb bob we tested this one day I cannot find the book with it now but we had machines that settled in 30 seconds to almost 5 minutes.

Not every machine is the same and it will continue to be that way so in other words understand what you can do some machines you can push and shove and others you can’t.

As a player it is my responsibility to know and treat someone machine with respect. Now if it’s a machine you play all the time you will understand that Party Zone you need to be more gentle with it than you do Flash Gordon.

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

I'm really surprised to hear that the ear plug might get cut through. The plug sits above the pendulum, so there is no weight on it, and those earplugs really are quite tough.

Sure, I wouldn't expect them to last forever. But I'd be quite happy to replace them once a month or so.

The problem with a swinging tilt bob is that I, as player 1, can make a move, and then cause player 3 to tilt because of that more than two minutes later. That's not really fair either.

From now on, I'll be waiting for a full two minutes on Party Zone before playing the next ball if there was a warning by either one of the two players before me. It's the only way to be sure…

Michi.

Edited by Michi

Long-swinging tilt bobs

There is another way Michi,Don’t push the machine to hard lol.

Warren watched my yesterday do a bit further testing in this and it’s all about slapping the machine from the side but slapping on the right hand side seams to be worst.

There is another way Michi,Don’t push the machine to hard lol.

:) The problem is other people pushing the machine earlier.

Warren watched my yesterday do a bit further testing in this and it’s all about slapping the machine from the side but slapping on the right hand side seams to be worst.

It really isn't nice to have to wait that long for the tilt bob to settle. Would you consider giving the dampener another try? We could experiment a bit next time I'm over. I'll donate a bunch of earplugs, too :)

Michi.

Edited by Michi

Long-swinging tilt bobs

Can’t do it until the leagues have finished otherwise players will be given an unfair advantage over other players. So after qualifying next Saturday I can do that.

Yes because the ear plugs will be good that way I don’t need to hear you complain,but in saying that,that is when you play your best pinball.

Can’t do it until the leagues have finished otherwise players will be given an unfair advantage over other players. So after qualifying next Saturday I can do that.

Yes, of course. Or pick a quiet time, add the earplug, see how much difference it makes, and then remove it again until qualifying is finished.

Yes because the ear plugs will be good that way I don’t need to hear you complain

It would take a lot more than an earplug to make me stop complaining, so I'll be complaining regardless :D

but in saying that,that is when you play your best pinball.

I always complain, and I always play my best pinball ;)

Michi.