Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Daytona USA conversion, issue with Ramjet VR V0.9

I am converting a Daytona USA arcade a long time now. I am nearly at the end of the pc conversion but I am stuck with RamjetVR V0.9 and how it works. I use Ultimarc's APAC for VR lamps and IPAC for the buttons (which works fine). As you can see in the photo below, in APAC are connected the Daytona's four VR lamps and the 5v wire (yellow wire). When Ramjet runs recognizes APAC board and flashes the red button. However when I close Ramjet, then the red button stays lit all the time (even when pc is shut down) and when I run Daytona USA 93 edition in Model 2, VR lamps not working at all.

DSC05614.thumb.jpg.cbd24eab7959ea522f28a99ab6fdb3e8.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

There is V1.4 now.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/48008-Model-2-Emulator-VR-Outputs-(RamjetVR)

I have only just started using it and currently on a Sega Rally model 2 steering panel the 2 lights light up when I boot the computer but when the ramjet software loads they go out.

When I then load a compatible game they flash as they should, and stop upon exit of the game.

I keep the RamjetVR running all the time and don't close it.

there is a better way of converting a daytona

this kit is plug and play , no wiring needed and it uses the driver board & sound board only from the

main board set all lights and force feedback work as it should

Resized_20180625_165255_7261.thumb.jpeg.1b7896df09ba8e5b6b3fe28786c36f64.jpegResized_20180625_165314_6025.thumb.jpeg.33537c27dd64d34ba56ad715ff12e80d.jpeg

Redback

Sorry but I haven't post the restoration yet, I will post it soon.

Ryan555

The page in the link for Ramjet v1.4 is old (2012) and the download link is not working anymore. Did you change any values in Ramjet? Also I copy the daytona.lua of Ramjet in the daytona scripts folder, did you do that?

Lou

Unfortunately, Daytona was totally destroyed, no boards or pcb working, monitor was destroyed also. For more than 20 years this arcade was in a field unprotected from the sun and the rain. Almost everything was destroyed (woods and metal parts fully rusted) and especially every pcb was beyond repair. However this kit is interesting, is there any link for more information please?

Edit: I guess that Ramjet doesn't need Windows XP right? Because I am running m2 emulator and Ramjet in Windows 7.

Edited by telonio

I was going to create my own thread, but this thread seems like it'll have some information I'd eventually like to acquire :) It'd b interesting once you post your thread.

@Lou, what kit is that and where do you get it from?

pm me your phone number and i'll pass it on to the bloke that did it, he is a member and it's up to him if he wants to show himself - not my place to post names , works on windows 7 and the board is a custom PCB

it's made so you unplug the old boards and plug this in it's place but at the moment it's set up only to work with LCD screens but was working on running with CRT

i did have a play on a 4 link setup and it works pretty good

Why not do a Dreamcast conversion? At least that way it is Sega and the graphics is near identical plus you have 4 extra tracks the arcade didn't have all written by Sega with Daytona.....Swap the disc and you are playing Sega Rally again with extra tracks written by Sega or Crazy Taxi.

We had a number of these machines being operated when they were current. Pretty sure with the parts I have there would be enough to make up 4 of so of these style car machines we were operating as I grabbed all the parts myself instead of them going to the tip.

This link works I just tried it and yes I followed the included instructions and copied the scripts over.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-P3wlCiYEm3VHhBMXNxZGVIQk0/edit

Thanks for that. I'm quite a long way before I even look at this app.

Why not do a Dreamcast conversion? At least that way it is Sega and the graphics is near identical plus you have 4 extra tracks the arcade didn't have all written by Sega with Daytona.....Swap the disc and you are playing Sega Rally again with extra tracks written by Sega or Crazy Taxi.

We had a number of these machines being operated when they were current. Pretty sure with the parts I have there would be enough to make up 4 of so of these style car machines we were operating as I grabbed all the parts myself instead of them going to the tip.

I tried the DC version of the game, and I'm not sure, it feels and looks very different imo. I also am not sure of a DC pcb that interfaces with the force feedback of the original wheel unlike the L2M2 board.

With a PC, you won't even need to change disks ;) :D

My main goal is Sega Model 2 games - daytona and sega rally is the only two I'm really worried about.

Running Ramjet V1.04 works somehow. I mean with the default Ramjet setup (start 1, red 5, blue 4 etc) vr panel lights up in the game but not as it should be (or at least not as I remember). If I remember right, each button should lit when you press it right?

Please see here how the vr panel works with the default Ramjet setup. Is that correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc35lmVpTmI&feature=youtu.be

As far for the Dreamcast version, it is quite different than the arcade version. But most of all, at least in the seat down version of Daytona, it is not good for your eyes to sit so close to a 29" crt tv. At least my eyes can't handle the screen when I am too close.

Exactly just as I remember, when he presses the red button, then the red button blinks and so on. I've been trying desperately to find the right digits in Ramjet so when I press a button then that specific light should turn on. Does somebody knows what is the correct numbers for that?

It's so annoying.

Thanks for the link Ryan.

I managed to make the four main lights on when I press a specific button. They also work on free play attract. However, the light on the start button flashes at the start of the game and does not go away as it should when I click it. I'm trying to figure out what I've done wrong. What exactly does the shift light option do?

The Start button does not go out during play for me either, not sure if just the way it is or it was meant to be fixed one day. I have never used the Shift light but I think in supported games when the RPM gets to the preset amount that you set in the RamjetVR program you can have a light come to an output that you choose. The light would normally be mounted on the dash somewhere so you can see it come on and know the best time to change gears in the game.

Here are all his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ramjetvr

In the original arcade the start button goes off when we press it, then only the views are lit. Personally, I prefer that the startup button is turned off rather than being constantly flashing while the game is running. Perhaps a new version of the ramjet can make the light on the start button work as it should (if ever the next version comes out).

Here you can see the lights working correctly in attract mode. Also they do work as they should inside the game.

• 2 weeks later...

The time has come!

I've now got the vr buttons, pac drive and jpac so it's time to do some testing..

Reading a few threads here and on arcade controls, I found the following pin out.

281fc040fd5e8af6abe2e865ad962bce.jpg

I've never connected buttons that have LEDs before so bear with me.

I will assume the "buttons" are wired up like any micro switch, ie. A common gnd (pin 12) and the active to a point on the jpac (pin 7 for start, pin 8 for vr button 1, pin 8 for vr botton 2 etc)

Based on the pin out above, I'm not really sure how to connect the LEDs up..

The basic wiring of the pac drive is as follows:

1521e07dab267c9c57661532f6371ea7.jpg

Each LED in the Ultimarc website shows the LEDs with both a gnd and 5v line...

The vr setup is slightly different from what I can tell. Is it safe to assume pins 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 is where I would wire to the "gnd" section of the pac drive diagram and wire the 5v pin (pin 1) to where they have 5v in the diagram?

I'll test the theory out hopefully this weekend...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Well my theory worked!

The moment you plug in the USB all lights are lit up, it's only once you load thr RamjetVR software that it turns off

fb6ddb8a26aa450a5b74105bb752cff0.jpg

Closer look at the wiring..

b613b0b473206503e688abbf605edde8.jpg

d88af7505ae5900eae2468cccd6d15fb.jpg

Final wiring setup for my setup:

LEDs handled by the Pac-Drive:

On VR Pin 1 = 5V on Pac-Drive Pin + (top left)

On VR Pin 2 = Start LED on Pac-Drive Pin 1

On VR Pin 3 = Red LED on Pac-Drive Pin 2

On VR Pin 4 = Blue LED on On Pac-Drive Pin 3

On VR Pin 5 = Yellow LED on On Pac-Drive Pin 4

On VR Pin 6 = Green LED on On Pac-Drive Pin 5

Buttons handled by the JPAC (or ipac or whatever you're using)

On VR Pin 7 = Start on JPAC pin 1SW4

On VR Pin 8 = Red button on JPAC pin 1SW5

On VR Pin 9 = Blue button on JPAC pin 1SW6

On VR Pin 10 = Yellow button on JPAC pin 1SW7

On VR Pin 11 = Green button on JPAC pin 1SW8

On VR Pin 12 = GND on JPAC pin GND

And a video of it all in action!

In demo mode

Cycling through the button presses

• 4 weeks later...

For the last weeks everything was working fine without problems. Suddenly vr views panel lights stopped flashing without a reason. Pacdrive only lights up the yellow-start button and nothing else. I tested all lights using a 5v power supply and all bulbs light up. I have changed 3 different usb cables and all the usb ports in the pc but the four colour lights do not work. Ramjet is running and all the fields are correct as it should be. I have even connect the Pacdrive to my other pc, run Ramjet and m2 emulator with Daytona, but I still the four lights do not light up.

How possible is it that Pacdrive is malfunctioning?

Has anyone faced such an issue?

Edited by telonio

Have not seen that before. Are you using LEDs for lights? What happens if you run other compatible games? Are the script files copied over ok as per the instructions. Maybe try connecting the lamps to different channels and set them in Ramjet VR. Incase those channels are not working for some reason.

Also try asking here:

https://www.ultimarc.com/support.html