Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

C64 Cartridge Port Fault - SOLVED

Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone can give me any idea's as to what the fault is here:

Diagnostic cart works, Ghostbusters Cart Works, Epyx Fast load Cart Works but my Action Replay Cart does not work in this board, it works in my other C64's !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135091[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]135092[/ATTACH]

The Port had been hacked, some of the pins were cut & some wire was going to a switch, with a little research apparently this was done to dump CART ROMS. I tried to repair that, not great but it seemed ok on my multimeter & everything was ok till I tried my Action Replay cart.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135095[/ATTACH]

I thought okay it needs to be repaired properly & replaced the port, not an easy job for me (port is also glued down), but it's not made any difference :(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135097[/ATTACH]

Anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing the fault? I don't have the full set of port testers, just the diag / deadtest cart. I'll also add some pics of the board shortly...

EDIT: add International Soccer & Visible solar system to carts not working (Blank Screen) - Super games cart & financial advisor working.

There is a slight delay when powering up the system, except with the diag cart, so i'm thinking it may be a power issue (dry cap?) could it be that these carts that are not working need the power immediately ???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135107[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]135108[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135109[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]135110[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135111[/ATTACH]

My repair on the port doesn't look the best, but I think it's ok, it was tricky to remove one from parts board & replace !

I can hardly see what i'm doing these days & I wasn't that good when I could see :lol

Edit 2: With the diagnostic cart in Dead Test mode it does nothing (black screen)

Reading through some posts of similar issue on lemon forum, the PLA is a likely culprit, going to socket that out next

Edited by SectionZ

Success :)

The PLA must be faulty, even though I let it run through many cycles with the diagnostic without errors or getting particularly hot.

I thought the dead test would do something with just a faulty PLA, but I guess if the cart couldn't start....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135137[/ATTACH]

Also I had that 1081 monitor on Ebay a few months back $40 & it didn't get a bid! even though I showed it worked but had a fault, I saw one joint that was lacking in solder & it hasn't missed a beat since, as I had it stored in a box for at least 15yrs it may have plenty of life in it yet hopefully.