Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AUSTRALIAN Coke Vendo 56 Square-Top Machine

looks a little rough

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]136896[/ATTACH]

I've seen rougher exteriors.

Its halfway between full conversion to standard fridge (level shelves installed, white bottle door removed, sealed and painted over, coin door removed so stocking door becomes only fridge door), and a vending fridge like mine since it still has the coin door, bottle door, and some slant shelves but the vending rack has been removed and a larger item shelf added at the bottom. You could almost pretend its a working vending machine.

I've been offered various machines like this over the years, and this one has to be the nicest conversions I have seen (wooden shelves do not belong in fridges). However, I wouldn't pay $1000 for it. Also, adding that shelf for large items just above the evaporator prevents the cold air from circulating effectively. Would love to see how much moisture that thing would put out, especially in summer.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I definitely overpaid for my machine at $1700. IN the U.S. the machines can go for $2-300 working and un-restored. It's just that anything with Coke lately has gone up in price, at least in the asking because of all the picking shows. Also, its damn hard to find a fully working un-restored working good condition glass bottle vending machine in Australia.

Edited by kdog

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So finally bought my first piece of Coke memorabilia to kick off my Man Cave/Coke Cave etc. Looks to be from around the same era of the "Feel the Curves" campaign that got recalled here in South Australia because the artist who did the artwork for it hid naughty images in the shadings of the ice cubes for the posters etc.

1356187504__20.JPG.4fc2271eb3ed07a4bdad2566ca1139bb.JPG 20190112_222735.thumb.jpg.809f20d5658d91d192f88910b64af84c.jpg 20190112_222815.thumb.jpg.d45bfac3ac727b132203f2f9e3385134.jpg

:ty to Rob1966 for introducing me to my next addictive collecting obsession :damnit: :lol

So finally bought my first piece of Coke memorabilia to kick off my Man Cave/Coke Cave etc. Looks to be from around the same era of the "Feel the Curves" campaign that got recalled here in South Australia because the artist who did the artwork for it hid naughty images in the shadings of the ice cubes for the posters etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]141444[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]141445[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]141446[/ATTACH]

:ty to Rob1966 for introducing me to my next addictive collecting obsession :damnit: :lol

It’s addictive isn’t it lol I’ve started collecting smalls to display as well from the Bradford Exchange

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks to be from around the same era of the "Feel the Curves" campaign that got recalled here in South Australia because the artist who did the artwork for it hid naughty images in the shadings of the ice cubes for the posters etc.

I'd never heard of this before.

A quick google search and I found one of the hidden images.

'Feel the curves' indeed!

cocacola-messages.jpg.2e3563bc20c40aef9fb0985ff562d7d4.jpg

The artist for whatever reason snuck it in without it being noticed before they started distributing the advertising around to outlets, it was quickly recalled when the little mistake was noticed.

The adverts that made it out to the public are now very collectable

It’s addictive isn’t it lol I’ve started collecting smalls to display as well from the Bradford Exchange

Yup

The artist for whatever reason snuck it in without it being noticed before they started distributing the advertising around to outlets, it was quickly recalled when the little mistake was noticed.

Yeah, posters, footprint stickers, door pushers, standup displays etc. Also, since the campaign was recalled, a lot of the stuff that didn't go back was actually never used or displayed, so its also NOS (New Old Stock).

how much are we talking?

A local guy said to me years ago hes got a large truck poster stashed in his shed

I can get one of those now if I want for $500

- - - Updated - - -

how much are we talking?

$100-500

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of past Coke ad campaigns, i actually got given a NOS poster from 1991 Coke sky surfing campaign after I bought something else.

20190202_235329.thumb.jpg.7e73a079d83b8171402ddb2435055656.jpg

This is an actual poster Coke would send out to stores, milk bars, takeaway places, not a cheap modern reprint. The guy has a packet of them mint. The paper quality is really high.

Edited by kdog

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]143134[/ATTACH]

I've had the chance to buy a few different frozen Coke light boxes, but they don't really do it for me. While they are actual Point of Sale Advertising pieces, Frozen Coke doesn't fit into my collection as much.

Great thread. I used to collect a lot of the old coke/milk bar stuff many years ago before prices went through the roof. This is one of the old coke light up signs in my collection made by marvelcraft in Sydney back in the late 50’s.4BC5BB6D-FB73-4B99-9377-2155EA5C2B47.thumb.jpg.94fe9e461eb0c8d42092fb78e931629b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread. I used to collect a lot of the old coke/milk bar stuff many years ago before prices went through the roof. This is one of the old coke light up signs in my collection made by marvelcraft in Sydney back in the late 50’s.4BC5BB6D-FB73-4B99-9377-2155EA5C2B47.thumb.jpg.94fe9e461eb0c8d42092fb78e931629b.jpg

Sorry the pics upside down for some reason and I’ve had too many drinks to be bothered to change it.

Great thread. I used to collect a lot of the old coke/milk bar stuff many years ago before prices went through the roof. This is one of the old coke light up signs in my collection made by marvelcraft in Sydney back in the late 50’s.[ATTACH=CONFIG]143153[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry the pics upside down for some reason and I’ve had too many drinks to be bothered to change it.

ME WANT, ME WANT!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This thread kind of morphed from me looking for help to go through the electro-mechanicals of my working Coke Vendo 56 machine, to all things Coke related.

Oh, and if anyone needs a kidney, I am about to list one for sale to fund my Coke habit.....

• 2 weeks later...
I don’t know why but I just love the look of coke advertising.

I’m absolutely spewing that I let one of my dream coke wanted collectables slip through my fingers a few years back a coke school crossing cop, at the time I thought it was to expensive but now looking back I have never seen another come up for sale and I think it would have been a bargain.

a650dcfcc1d2c52bdb4182e6b033b678.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Rob, if you are still lusting after this bad boy, I can help you get partway there.... :lol

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Cast-Iron-Coca-Cola-Lollipop-Sign-Base/264213970591?hash=item3d84613e9f:g:13IAAOSwbjNcdB7S

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f5b34e2d3c7210052dcdfae6dea7586f.jpg

Hey Rob, if you are still lusting after this bad boy, I can help you get partway there.... :lol

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Cast-Iron-Coca-Cola-Lollipop-Sign-Base/264213970591?hash=item3d84613e9f:g:13IAAOSwbjNcdB7S

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143750[/ATTACH]

Bloody hell talk about expensive and that’s only the base near in about $1500 AU this is my latest purchase that should be arriving in about a week or so its original, they are getting hard to find I just have to get it framed up and add it to the collection.

87446bc375edd0ef6599255e2de6e34b.jpg9ba9bc7d0efc5856723895238fd04496.jpg

5fa62a9eea6c052739640e55bffe88e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a bloody disease an addiction once you start collecting coke stuff lol

Yes, and I have you to thank for it. :hairpull:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, here is some history on the division of Coke that produced your sign ST Leigh & Co. Since they changed their name in 1962, your sign could be almost 60 years old

British Tobacco Company (Australia) Limited formed to take over a group of small tobacco companies,

including WD & HO Wills (Australia) Limited.

1909 Entry into the printing industry with the purchase of S T Leigh & Co Limited.

35 acres of land purchased at Kensington in Sydney at five hundred pounds per acre and named Raleigh

Park. Cigarette making commenced there two years later.

1927 Registration of British Tobacco Company (Australia) Limited transferred from UK to Australia.

1929 Profits exceeded one million pounds for the first time.

Agreement between industry, growers and government for the guaranteed purchase of Australian tobacco

leaf.

World War II begins with the introduction of wartime controls, manpower and tobacco rationing, Carreras

acquired.

Prime Minister, Robert Menzies, opened the new Virginia Park Factory at East Bentleigh in Melbourne,

Victoria.

S T Leigh & Co Pty Ltd embarked on a programme of further expansion in the printing and packaging

industry.

1962 S T Leigh changes its name to Leigh-Mardon Pty Limited.

Associated Products and Distribution Pty Limited (APD) set up to acquire and consolidate companies in

the food and beverage industries.

1963 First computer (ICL Model 1301) installed to process accounts for W D & H O Wills.

The establishment of separate divisions for Soft Drinks, Snack Foods and Frozen Food within APD and

the first acquisitions within these industries.

1964 Announcement of proposal for the establishment of Courage Breweries Ltd.

APD purchases a controlling interest in Coca-Cola Bottlers (Perth) Pty Ltd. 100% acquired the following

year.

1965 APD enters the meat processing industry through the purchase of Thomas Playfair Pty Ltd of Sydney.

1966 Head Office building in Macquarie Street, Sydney, opened.

1967 Establishment of Fibre Containers Limited as a subsidiary of Leigh-Mardon.

APD acquires Smith‟s Potato Crisps (Aust) Pty Ltd and a 40% equity stake in Golden Poultry Pty Ltd, a

major chicken processor.

1968 APD acquires 100% of Coca-Cola Bottlers (Geelong) Pty Ltd.

1972 APD acquires 100% of Coca-Cola Bottlers (Brisbane) Pty Ltd.

1972 Sale of major part of Frozen Food Division.

British Tobacco Company (Australia) Limited changes its name to Allied Manufacturing and Trade

Industries Limited to better reflect the Group‟s diversified operations.

1973 Leigh-Mardon produces its first postage stamp for the Ethiopian Government.

1975 Leigh-Mardon wins its first contract from Australia Post for the supply of postage stamps.

1977 Allied Manufacturing and Trade Industries Limited changes its name to AMATIL Limited.

1978 Courage Breweries Ltd sold to Tooth & Co.

AMATIL Snack Foods Division commissions a snack food manufacturing plant in West Germany and also

commences selling cereal snacks in Italy.

1980 AMATIL acquires the poultry processor, Steggles Holdings Pty Ltd.

AMATIL enters into a packaging manufacturing joint venture with ICI Australia Operations Pty Ltd for the

manufacture of co-extruded polypropylene film.

AMATIL‟s Beverage Division makes its first overseas investment with the acquisition of the Coca-Cola

Bottling franchises for Vienna and Graz, in Austria

W D & H O Wills (Australia) Limited announces that the existing cigarette manufacturing plants at Raleigh

Park in Sydney and Virginia Park in Melbourne will close and their operations consolidated in a new

National plant to be built at Pagewood in Sydney.

1982 Leigh-Mardon purchases a vacuum metallising business and creates a metallising division.

1984 Sale of Fibre Containers Limited

1984 AMATIL sells its interests in the Meat processing Industry

1985 W D & H O Wills commissions the new National Manufacturing Plant at Pagewood, NSW.

1985 Leigh-Mardon Carton Division moved to new, larger premises at Botany.

1985 Pacific Secure Systems, a subsidiary of Leigh-Mardon, opened by the NSW Premier, Neville Wran.

AMATIL‟s Beverage Division acquires Southern Cross Beverages which held the Coca-Cola franchise for

Metropolitan Sydney and most of NSW.

1986 AMATIL acquires the Deep Spring mineral water brand.

Leigh-Mardon acquires a majority shareholding in Fortonic Technology, which manufactures and

distributes electronic funds transfer terminals.

AMATIL Beverages acquires the Coca-Cola Bottler at Port Macquarie on the North Coast of NSW and an

additional overseas Coca-Cola franchise in Modling, Austria.

APD Snack Foods Pty Limited closes its manufacturing plant at Oakleigh in Victoria, and extends the

Regency Park manufacturing operation in Adelaide.

1987 AMATIL‟s share in Golden Poultry Farming Industries Ltd is sold.

1987 AMATIL‟s half share in Propafilm Pty Limited is sold to ICI Australia Limited.

Leigh-Mardon Graphics awarded contract by Telecom Australia for the compilation of the Yellow Pages for

all states of Australia except NSW - the largest single contract ever awarded to Leigh-Mardon.

50% of Steggles Holdings Limited is sold to Goodman Fielder Wattie Limited, to enable Steggles to be

combined with Table Talk Poultry Farms Ltd.

1988 AMATIL Beverages acquires Coca-Cola franchises in North Queensland, Fiji, and Wellington (NZ).

1988 AMATIL Beverages acquires Coca-Cola franchise in St Polten, Austria

1988 AMATIL Beverages acquires Ecks (NSW) Pty Limited

1988 APD acquires the Planters Nuts brand.

1988 Fortronic Technology Pty Ltd becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary of Leigh-Mardon.

1988 Leigh-Mardon acquires CPE Australia Limited from BTR Nylex.

As part of Australia‟s Bicentennial celebrations, in partnership with The National Trust of Australia, AMATIL

undertakes a $1.6 million sole sponsorship of „A Gift to the Nation‟, which funds the restoration of 13

historical properties throughout Australia.

1989 Acquisition of the fifth Coca-Cola franchise in Austria, at Landegg by AMATIL Beverages.

1989 AMATIL acquires sixth Coca-Cola franchise in Austria - Steyr.

Shareholders approve the major corporate reorganisation involving the sale of the Company‟s tobacco

subsidiary to BAT Industries. BAT‟s sale of its 41% interest in AMATIL to The Coca-Cola Company, and

the future concentration by the company on its core activities of beverages and snack foods.

1989 Shareholders approve the change of the Company‟s name to Coca-Cola Amatil Limited (CCA)

1989 CCA sells its remaining 50% shareholding in Steggles Holdings Limited.

Announces agreement to purchase The Coca-Cola Company‟s 50% interest in Oasis Industries, New

Zealand

1990 CCA acquires its 7th Coca-Cola franchise (Gmunden) in Austria.

CCA acquires its eighth Coca-Cola franchise in Austria. The Klangenfurt franchise is situated in the

southern part of Austria and adjoins the borders of Italy and Yugoslavia.

CCA announces the acquisition of C-C Bottlers Limited and the remaining 50% of Oasis Industries, New

Zealand, a transaction that unifies the Australasian Coca-Cola franchises under CCA‟s ownership.

CCA further expands its overseas beverage operations with the acquisition of the Dornbirn franchise,

Austria. CCA‟s beverage operations now cover 70% of Austria‟s population.

CCA announces the sale of Leigh-Mardon to DBSM Capital Partners Limited, approved by shareholders at

an extraordinary general meeting held on November 21, 1990.