South Australia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Australia

AUSTRALIAN Coke Vendo 56 Square-Top Machine

Hi,

I am looking for someone who is familiar with Vintage Coke Vending machines, specifically a Coke Vendo 56 Square Top Glass bottle Vending machine, in the Adelaide area. The fridge, coin mech, and bottle release mechanism all works, but the machine desperately needs a service and the electricals and mechanicals looked at.

I know this is not a Pinball machine, but this machine has similarities to them, and was hoping someone either has experience with them, or enough technical skill to at least check it out to make sure its safe. I am not looking for a full restoration, like what you see on the History Channel shows. I just wanna make sure the machine will run OK, and not short out and catch fire etc. I also want some advice on how to maintain these things. I am willing to pay for work done.

I know some current Coca Cola Amatil (CCA) technicians and retired ones are familiar with the machine in question. I actually met one in a Coles today fixing up a modern display fridge, who when asked said he used to service and rebuild these very machines for CCA back in the day when they were in use. Unfortunately, his current job is non-stop, and isn't looking for any paid side work

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

State
    Morwell, Victoria
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    756 Post(s)
    Australia
    Why donít you just get a normal refrigeration mechanic to have a look at it, there should be plenty of them around to at least make sure it works ok mechanically

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Putting out the feelers for my next early Gotlieb project

State
    Pinball Central
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    351 Post(s)
    Australia
    Be careful as coke never sold them, so any around are all stolen if it's Australian

Any refrigeration guy can do the job
    Australian Distributors for Jersey Jack Pinball, Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming, American Pinball.
    Your one Stop Shop For New Pinball & Arcade Games.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Australia

These things have been bought and sold on ebay and gumtree for years. I know Coke either scrapped them, or had them gutted and converted into standard fridges. The ones that survived were rescued by Coke Employees. Never heard Coke hunting people down who sold them online. The one I bought had been on Gumtree on and off for 5 years

EDIT: The previous owner even had a guy from Coke come out with a collection of keys to open the machine up, because the key had been tossed into the cap catcher box.

2ND EDIT: Every vintage machine I have tried to buy over the years were either from someone who worked at Coke, or they had bought it from someone who had worked at Coke, or they had bought it from someone who bought it from someone who worked at Coke.

One guy I know had a current Coca Cola Amatil employee at the time 25 years ago bring him a gutted fridge for free, as he was just out of the Army and needed a fridge. Has Coke ever tried to reclaim one of these 60's retired machines?

State
    Atwell Perth
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Australia
    Coke own all red fridges, and will confiscate if they know you have one, seeing its red on the inside, its a Coke owned machine.
    I do know this for a fact, as I have had the phone call and asked if I would like to surrender the machine or they will take it from me legally, of course I surrendered it, cant remember the guys name but he explained it to me that Coca Cola Australia have never sold a machine nor do they let employees take them, all out of date machines are used for parts or destroyed, he told me to open the door of the machine, and if the paint on the inside is red, its owned by Coke, if it was black, white, blue or any other colour it's a operator machine and not owned by coke.
    So do be careful who you ask about looking at it.
    A normal fridge mechanic can fix them, I have owned many over the years and they are just a standard fridge with a vending mechanism.

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    902 Post(s)
    Australia
    it is true that coke did not sell their machines and would ask for them back. I had coke check out out my 1980's dixie narco machine they suspected was one of theirs, thankfully the serial never matched any of theirs.
    I Suspect they were hoping it was one of theirs for the reason My machine sold coke much cheaper than the one coke them selves had sited in town, a few weeks later they removed their machine as it wasnt making much money since mine came on the scene. The vending machine rep who serviced their machine was the first to ask about my machine, he said they often ask their reps to check out the competitions machines in-case they are actual coke machines.
    Im sure I could legally have refused them to look if had wanted too, Unless they had some legal stuff requesting me todo so, maybe police checking and so on. But I let them just to get them off my back as a knew it wasnt a coke serial number.
    Sometimes machines were sited in venues that went bust and were sold that way by liquidators, So I guess there would be some grey areas in those situations. well thats what Ive been told by a vending service company, when I talk them while they were servicing my machine.
    I doubt however they would care about that model you have. I would assume unless it was sited making money, as people have said Any fridge mechanic would be able to work on your machine.

you would think however if coke had made an insurance claim on a machine stolen Which One would assume they would have insured, it isnt actually their property anymore but in fact the insurance companies machines??, some may have even been sold in police Auctions also. So there maybe a number of ways they could have been sold outside of coke, but who knows

the colour in the door is a good indicator but not always 100% as some independent vendors might paint their machines red. but Serial numbers is the give away.

State
    Atwell Perth
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    256 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1 View Post
    I doubt however they would care about that model you have.
    you would think however if coke had made an insurance claim on a machine stolen Which One would assume they would have insured, it isnt actually their property anymore but in fact the insurance companies machines??
    Coca cola Australia dont care how old it is, its theirs and they dont want you to have it, and they are self insured.

It sucks, as I for 1 legit paid for mine, they rocked up in a Coke truck and took em

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quoted
    902 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
    Coca cola Australia dont care how old it is, its theirs and they dont want you to have it, and they are self insured.

It sucks, as I for 1 legit paid for mine, they rocked up in a Coke truck and took em

fair enough,
    Last edited by jason1; 2nd September 2018 at 08:47 AM.

State
    Morwell, Victoria
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    756 Post(s)
    Australia

Was the machine at your house or sited? If it was at your house how did they find out that you had it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Putting out the feelers for my next early Gotlieb project

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Australia

EDIT : Ooops sorry, you already answered my question.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information