Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sharkey's Sortout

This thread is more of a fix up rather than a restore inspired by Jesder's excellent service and repair logs (just nowhere near as good). I have a really good mate that now has four pins, one being a Batman that I recently brought back from the brink. To mix things up we have begun swapping pins for some different games for a while. I asked to have his Sharkey's Shootout. Made by Stern in 2000 with roughly 800 made. This game cops a bit of a hard time but I have to say I really enjoy it.

ciN4pZWh.jpg

When I first got it home it played quite slow. I think my mate was a bit disappointed with the game after a while, I'm hoping I can change his opinion when I give it back to him. The whole playfield was FILTHY. I only took a photo of the pops before I couldn't help myself and gave it a clean.

clHHTTkh.jpg

With this simple clean came a huge improvement in gameplay. Easily twice as fast, much more fun to play. I consider myself to be a very average player. Lately I have been watching some tips and practising on this game and have found it to be really good for putting theory into practise so to speak. During the cleanup and following play several faults were found. Asked my mate for permission to give it a birthday and was granted. I tend to shut a game down for a few weeks when I do this so I waited till the parts arrived before stripping down.

The first issue on the list was the leg levellers or lack thereof.

UtVblZUh.jpg

The fronts simply screwed out and new feet fitted.

vbZ3l2Nh.jpg

The rears however were a different story.

SE1gEO4h.jpg

When the bolt snapped a nut was welded to assist with removal. This actually took a few attempts but ended up being successful.

BbSLDAyh.jpg

With the legs sorted attention moved to the playfield.

Anyone know this guy?:lol

WvqCZjUh.jpg

Sorry Rob, I'll try and find something else for the apron.

The wireform rails are in pretty average condition.

NdkttFzh.jpg

FDrgzkFh.jpg

The old oxalic acid bath trick hey?

fvhtJZGh.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come real soon.

People have different ways of going about this. My preferred way is to bag and tag each section, basically strip it right down and clean it up in one hit. I even take note of what goes into the tumbler from each section.

mpWJv0Ch.jpg

A before and after of the right inlane areas. I'm a big fan of Novus 2 for this task.

UStmU6ch.jpg

eNlEqLih.jpg

ih7LmXoh.jpg

mIJT0Meh.jpg

The shooter lane looked very dirty. I removed the launch metal piece and also the inner timber rail so I could give it a real good clean.

hdRCMHoh.jpg

0U87jNdh.jpg

Ap3flMjh.jpg

WkkcNc6h.jpg

After a good clean and polish.

YPKtBzgh.jpg

cOBaJmUh.jpg

Polished the launch piece while it was out.

1orLbdhh.jpg

Z6dvek5h.jpg

One issue while playing was the auto plunger was a little sluggish at launching balls. Upon removal of the auto launch assembly I found the plunger and sleeve had been lubricated at one point. This had since turned to a sticky film which made for slow action.

M8v8VSqh.jpg

Cleaned the parts and replaced the coil sleeve. Thinking this should greatly improve the mechanism.

lhROXt4h.jpg

A before and after of the upper right section. The metal ball guides were a little tight to remove without damaging anything.

zf0uQ3Yh.jpg

Rrg7h1Oh.jpg

Great story and great work mate. I do hope that you at least get a carton from your buddy for doing all this! I must admit there is a weird joy in cleaning something that is just so dirty though .. it would be hard to pass up not giving it some love.

Nice one and look forward to the continuing journey :)

Another issue that raised it's head when playing was this.

b6epx60h.jpg

The drop targets had been breaking one by one. We had a set ready to go and one had already been replaced earlier.

qAPcvFch.jpg

The remaining targets were removed and replaced. A pretty tricky little task with the assembly still in the machine I might add. The one ball target decal was attempted to be re-used but I didn't think it would last long and looked average at best.

Deru0E5h.jpg

rDRJRqgh.jpg

New cushioned decals were ordered from the states via ebay. I have used these guys a couple of times. They are really good quality and some of their alternate target artwork is really cool.

O4OmeWwh.jpg

Looks way better. Another mod I tend to do on my games is a lighted star post on the slings. I use the ones from cointaker that connect to your slingshot coil and flash each time the sling is fired. A little more expensive but give a great effect. Plus the star post looks much nicer than the boring black posts that come from the factory.

KEPHYA8h.jpg

The bumpers were removed showing how filthy it gets underneath them.

QK1sllxh.jpg

New bodies and skirts were purchased and fitted after cleaning the filth off the playfield. I really like using the pop bumper disc led from Babak at Bright lights led's. I find I do have to remove the bracket from the bulb holder to make them fit. Fantastic addition to any game.

vQExTzGh.jpg

QJvxnJSh.jpg

This allows the holder to be tucked down allowing the assembly to fit flush.

2tmy8TDh.jpg

Lhgc7uYh.jpg

I will show these lit up further in the thread.

• 1 month later...

Sharkey is pretty much back together again and playing nicely, with only a few parts to source that I missed first time around. A shot of the pop bumpers all lit up with the disc led's.

0nJcBtvh.jpg

I went with a mixture of colours of titan rubbers. Hot pink for the posts, orange for the flippers, yellow for the majority of rubbers with some blue for the rollover lane guides.

cGtKTNuh.jpg

eMBaVMch.jpg

VBdomjCh.jpg

7MMAfvVh.jpg

The last photo shows the target switch which was replaced as the previous one was non original and looked out of place.

EMknCoyh.jpg

Here's a fun little addition to brighten up the speaker panel. I stumbled across some cool stickers on ebay that looked perfect somewhere....anywhere! Peeled the outer layer off to give an outline of the shape and stuck them to clear Perspex. Used a burr grinder to cut to shape which avoided cracking the plastic and easily mold it to the shape I needed.

spDdWjIh.jpg

Then I drilled mounting holes, removed the plastic protective coating and affixed the stickers. Then mounted in place in front of the speakers on the plastic posts that were swapped from the slingshots. Mounting them off like this and cut to shape still allows the sound from the speakers to come through without muffling.

qO3ubJxh.jpg

u7cAmYxh.jpg

These look really cool I think. I will try and con my mate to splash for some speaker lights to give it that extra zing. That's about it for this machine for now, I'll have some more fun playing it for a while longer before swapping back. Thanks for reading, cheers.