Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Daphne Challenge

Its has been suggested that we play some laser disc games and I see no reason not to give it a try

I only have a little dealings with Daphne and remember it to be a bit of a pain in the a$$ to set up so at this point I think

it best that we use this thread to help each other to get up and running

My rough plan for now is to use September to help everyone get up and running and have the challenge itself run for the

month of October using the same rules as the MAME challenge

The First game to be played will be Dragons lair and depending on the interest we might go on it more games

• 3 weeks later...
I got Daphne working today. It's pretty easy, it's all GUI so easier than command line MAME stuff.

I scored 9521, is that good? <_<

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135571[/ATTACH]

I would and hopefully a few others would be interested in a basic "how to set up" if possible

I would and hopefully a few others would be interested in a basic "how to set up" if possible

Here's how I got Daphne working ->

Search for "Daphne Dragons Lair" on your favourite t0rrent site. The one I found had Daphne and all the game files needed, but as I don't like using executables downloaded from t0rrent sites, I chose to install a fresh copy of Daphne.

Download the Daphne emulator from http://www.daphne-emu.com and install it.

Copy to your Daphne directory the vldp_dl and roms directorys from the t0rrent download, these have the game files.

Go through the Step By Step: Playing your first game guide at https://www.daphne-emu.com:9443/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page#Step_By_Step:_Playing_your_first_game. They reference a DVD, but we already have the game files so ignore that.

To get the score overlay on screen, click Configure and change the Scoreboard Mode to one of the VLDP Text Overlay choices.

does anyone know if there is a keypress to get the score overlay ?

i have DL on my upright cab on PC with score overlay but the joystick is stuffed at the moment.

I've got it running on my RetroPi but there is no score overlay. on PC i'm pretty sure there is a keypress that toggles the score overlay. Can't get it going though.

ok got it going on my PC instead. Very rusty, some stupid deaths. 54,968

20180919_105113.jpg

by the way here is a good default setup for the dainput file which is where you need to define your joystick. These codes will give you standard joystick control.

[KEYBOARD]

KEY_UP = 273 114 5

KEY_DOWN = 274 102 7

KEY_LEFT = 276 100 8

KEY_RIGHT = 275 103 6

KEY_BUTTON1 = 306 97 1

KEY_BUTTON2 = 308 115 2

KEY_BUTTON3 = 32 113 3

KEY_START1 = 49 0 7

KEY_START2 = 50 0 0

KEY_COIN1 = 53 0 8

KEY_COIN2 = 54 0 0

KEY_SKILL1 = 304 119 0

KEY_SKILL2 = 122 105 0

KEY_SKILL3 = 120 107 0

KEY_SERVICE = 57 0 0

KEY_TEST = 283 0 0

KEY_RESET = 284 0 0

KEY_SCREENSHOT = 293 0 0

KEY_QUIT = 27 113 9

END

Anyone wanting to know how to setup Daphne / Dragons Lair on a Raspberry Pi:

https://gameroomsolutions.com/setup-daphne-raspberry-pi-3-retropie/

I was going to have a try at getting this running yesterday but when I turned my horizontal Astro cab on the monitor didn't come on :cry

I will do some basic troubleshooting and then it might be time to send to Joey, I hope I don't zap myself :o

• 2 months later...
ok got it going on my PC instead. Very rusty, some stupid deaths. 54,968

20180919_105113.jpg

by the way here is a good default setup for the dainput file which is where you need to define your joystick. These codes will give you standard joystick control.

[KEYBOARD]

KEY_UP = 273 114 5

KEY_DOWN = 274 102 7

KEY_LEFT = 276 100 8

KEY_RIGHT = 275 103 6

KEY_BUTTON1 = 306 97 1

KEY_BUTTON2 = 308 115 2

KEY_BUTTON3 = 32 113 3

KEY_START1 = 49 0 7

KEY_START2 = 50 0 0

KEY_COIN1 = 53 0 8

KEY_COIN2 = 54 0 0

KEY_SKILL1 = 304 119 0

KEY_SKILL2 = 122 105 0

KEY_SKILL3 = 120 107 0

KEY_SERVICE = 57 0 0

KEY_TEST = 283 0 0

KEY_RESET = 284 0 0

KEY_SCREENSHOT = 293 0 0

KEY_QUIT = 27 113 9

END

Anyone wanting to know how to setup Daphne / Dragons Lair on a Raspberry Pi:

https://gameroomsolutions.com/setup-daphne-raspberry-pi-3-retropie/

Yay I finally got the time to get this going now that I have got my Horiz cab fixed and I have broken my leg racing my MTB there might be time to get even more gaming goals accomplished :)

But I'm still having a couple of issues, I edited the dainput file as per Jed's post but my joystick is not working in the correct directions so I will look into that and when I try to use either of the score overlays Daphne crashes which is no good as I need to have a score.

Also I wouldn't mind being able to run Daphne from MaLa other EMU's but from the quick try I had I'm not sure if that is possible.

Anyway getting there :)

Yay I finally got the time to get this going now that I have got my Horiz cab fixed and I have broken my leg racing my MTB there might be time to get even more gaming goals accomplished :)

But I'm still having a couple of issues, I edited the dainput file as per Jed's post but my joystick is not working in the correct directions so I will look into that and when I try to use either of the score overlays Daphne crashes which is no good as I need to have a score.

Also I wouldn't mind being able to run Daphne from MaLa other EMU's but from the quick try I had I'm not sure if that is possible.

Anyway getting there :)

I was able to have Daphne launch from my front end (maximus arcade) with a bit of script editing and then generating a launch file. It's been years since i set that up so I've forgotten exactly what i did, but I'll have a look...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Really f^%k Daphne hard.....after finally getting it running I can't reconfig the controls, there are endless posts on forums about people having joystick issues like mine and after hours reading I have not resolved it same goes for the score overlay that just crashes the game at boot it I enable it in the launcher.

FFS I have spent way longer trying to get this game running properly than I would actually play it for...why I don't know.....back to the back burner :(

Really f^%k Daphne hard.....after finally getting it running I can't reconfig the controls, there are endless posts on forums about people having joystick issues like mine and after hours reading I have not resolved it same goes for the score overlay that just crashes the game at boot it I enable it in the launcher.

FFS I have spent way longer trying to get this game running properly than I would actually play it for...why I don't know.....back to the back burner :(

Wash your mouth out! Only Dirk gets to f*ck Daphne :lol

I put a standalone version of Daphne/Dragons Lair together that can be transferred to any pc and should run. (I've used the same version on 2 pc's and an old laptop overlay and joystick works)

I'll see if i can upload it for you once my monthly data clicks over again next week if you like.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Thanks for the offer Jed but I'm not sure if it would help, I am assuming that the problems I am having are due to me trying to play it on my Astro Cab with a PC hooked up through a JPAC. I assume the JPAC is giving me the controller issues and the arcade monitor running at 640x480 is probably the reason the score overlay isn't working and crashing the game at boot.

I will check the keyboard inputs again as I did edit that file manually so I may have made an error but changing them seemed to make no difference and the joystick moving in the wrong directions.

Thanks for the offer Jed but I'm not sure if it would help, I am assuming that the problems I am having are due to me trying to play it on my Astro Cab with a PC hooked up through a JPAC. I assume the JPAC is giving me the controller issues and the arcade monitor running at 640x480 is probably the reason the score overlay isn't working and crashing the game at boot.

I will check the keyboard inputs again as I did edit that file manually so I may have made an error but changing them seemed to make no difference and the joystick moving in the wrong directions.

the cab i have the standalone version running on is also a PC with a JPAC.

But yeah - if you're not having any joy with those jostick settings then something else is going on. Have you tried testing the JPAC from the windows control panel to see if the button presses and stick movements are registering ? Or opening notepad, and seeing what characters (if any) the Jpac is spitting out when you use the stick/buttons ?

JPAC joystick directions = keyboard arrows so no characters in notepad, joystick works fine in mame on cab. I copied and paste your controls into the daphne controls .ini (forgot what's it's called without looking) and then the game wouldn't even boot, restore the .ini to default and it does. The only person I have found that was able to fix juysick issues actually changed the orientation of this joystick physically which I don't want to do.

Have you been able to get the score overlay to display on an arcade monitor at 640x480 ?

JPAC joystick directions = keyboard arrows so no characters in notepad, joystick works fine in mame on cab. I copied and paste your controls into the daphne controls .ini (forgot what's it's called without looking) and then the game wouldn't even boot, restore the .ini to default and it does. The only person I have found that was able to fix joystick issues actually changed the orientation of this joystick physically which I don't want to do.

Have you been able to get the score overlay to display on an arcade monitor at 640x480 ?

yes mate, running at 640x480 on a CRT and with score overlay on. I've not had any joystick issues.

Assuming you've tried re-defining the controls with the Daphne config app ?

• 2 weeks later...