Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

GI Relay type

shmilder

Question

Hi All,

I'm trying to add some more Gi to my LW3 playfield.

I'm wanting to trigger some led strips when the GI is illuminated.

I have it all planned out i just need a relay that will trigger when the 6v from the Gi lamp is on and allow my 12v circuit with my led strips to function.

(Alligator clips attached to a GI lamp > trigger relay > relay closes led strip circuit)

Ive looked online but cant quite make heads or tales of it and find what i'm after.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

You can use an Arduino 5V relay, powered by the 5V accessory socket. It'll draw very little current. You can find these on eBay for a few cents. I just picked the first hit on my Google search:

https://www.auselectronicsdirect.com.au/arduino-5v-relay-board-module

To control the relay from GI, put the AC from the GI circuit through a bridge rectifier (a really tiny one will do). On the DC side of the rectifier, you'll need a smoothing capacitor, say 100 µF, and two resistors to make a voltage divider. You want to pick off around 4 V from the voltage divider to drive the input of the relay board. The relay will stay on while GI is on, and turn off when GI is off. Use the switched contacts of the relay to control your 12 V supply.

Michi.

Use like a normal relay.....

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-Phase-Solid-State-Relay-DC-DC-SSR-40DD-40A-DC3-32V-DC5-60V-White-WS-/322165166517

3-30vDC input (to turn on)

5-60vDC output (switching on and off) 40amp capacity. Massive overkill but super easy to hook up.;)

If your G.I. is AC use a bridge as @Michi suggested to make it DC

Use like a normal relay.....

That's a simpler solution, yes. No need for a voltage divider. In essence, the rectified 6.3 V AC (with a smoothing cap) powers the relay, which is closed as long as the input voltage is present, so there is no need for a separate trigger input. I used an Arduino relay to do this mainly because I had one lying around already :)

Michi.

Thanks @Michi, where can i find out if LW3 GI is ac or dc? I assumed it would be DC.

It's 6.3 V AC (page 43): http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1433/Data_East_1992_Lethal_Weapon_3_Manual.pdf

The "relay" Steve suggested is a solid state relay, so it'll draw a lot less current than the coil of an Arduino relay (which draws around 80–90 mA). You may need to use a smaller smoothing cap for that and add a path to ground via a 6.2 kΩ or so resistor to discharge the capacitor, otherwise the capacitor may hold the circuit closed too long if GI is flashing rapidly. It all depends on the input impedance of the relay, which wasn't mentioned on the linked page.

Just experiment with different-size capacitors; you won't break anything that way.

Michi.