Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Jurassic Park Left Flipper

thesav

Question

Hi team, I’m trying to diagnose this annoying left flipper on my JP machine that I just picked up last weekend as a project machine.

http://

The switch tests out okay, & it doesn’t appear to be getting hot at all. As seen in the video, it sometimes works perfectly & other times doesn’t really move or is very weak.

In the vid where it moves up very slowly, that’s me holding the Flipper button in for a couple of seconds.

What’s the best way forward from here to diagnose this?

Thanks for your help

23 answers to this question

Hi team, I’m trying to diagnose this annoying left flipper on my JP machine that I just picked up last weekend as a project machine.

http://

The switch tests out okay, & it doesn’t appear to be getting hot at all. As seen in the video, it sometimes works perfectly & other times doesn’t really move or is very weak.

In the vid where it moves up very slowly, that’s me holding the Flipper button in for a couple of seconds.

What’s the best way forward from here to diagnose this?

Thanks for your help

Replace the diode on the flipper coil first and see if it improves. Bad diodes on those flipper systems causes some strange problems.

I had a similar issue with my Last Action Hero (DE) which was caused by faulty fuse clips on the flipper board.

I removed the fuses and found two of the clips barely had any strength in them to hold the fuse, as there was a crack along the clip base. After replacing them, the issue was resolved.

I had a similar issue with my Last Action Hero (DE) which was caused by faulty fuse clips on the flipper board.

I removed the fuses and found two of the clips barely had any strength in them to hold the fuse, as there was a crack along the clip base. After replacing them, the issue was resolved.

Would this not affect all three flippers though??

My right top and bottom flipper work perfectly

Would this not affect all three flippers though??

My right top and bottom flipper work perfectly

If it's the same flipper board as in LAH, there are fuses for the left flipper and another pair for the right, so my right flipper had no issues, while the left was doing the same as seen in your video.

If it's the same flipper board as in LAH, there are fuses for the left flipper and another pair for the right, so my right flipper had no issues, while the left was doing the same as seen in your video.

Beauty, I’ll be sure to check this out tonight too

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Very common condition in DE machines and well worth checking. Shit quality fuse holders and well worth swapping them all anyway.

If your machine doesn't have issues with these fuse holders yet, it won't be long before it does.

Very common condition in DE machines and well worth checking. Shit quality fuse holders and well worth swapping them all anyway.

If your machine doesn't have issues with these fuse holders yet, it won't be long before it does.

Yeh I’ve read that.. apparently they were all checked prior to me getting the machine, but who knows.. perhaps one was missed..

Where’s a good place to buy replacements? Or is there a better/newer version to buy that doesn’t break?

So I had a look tonight & found the following:

When pressing the left flipper button, the ‘L2’ LED does not light up on the Flipper board under the playfield.

‘L1’ & ‘L3’ light up when the respective flippers are triggered.

The fuse holders seem new or at least good & not my issue. No immediate cracking or weakness that I could find.. how do you guys test them? Just put a bit of pressure on them?

This leads me to believe it might be a faulty/damaged/dirty EOS perhaps? Here’s a few pics I took tonight. The coil without a wrapper is the left (non-working) flipper.

IMG_7135.thumb.JPG.9528a2a780274e2abf0e728452a26663.JPG

IMG_7141.thumb.JPG.e14666ca52af1d0ad015d4620ab04ba2.JPG

IMG_7139.thumb.JPG.2814c290b5889c7ff077199bd8fbfe2c.JPG

I haven’t tried swapping around fuses yet, as I ran out of time tonight. But I’ll test that & a quick clean of the left EOS tomorrow night.

Thoughts?

Reflow the solder connections on the flipper coils. Check the voltages in the coil when powered.....DCvolts for pullup and 9vAC for holdup. Coil only has one winding so when it breaks, you loose both pullup and hold but you may have a crack in the solder joint.

Lift the playfield up and work the flipper till it starts to fail and then activate while wiggling the coil wires. If there is a crack in the solder joint, you should see some sparking.

Don't rule out a break in the coil supply wires or a bad connection between the playfield harness and cabinet harness connector.

If the fuse holders look good change the fuses around. You may have a faulty fuse that "Looks" good.

Edited by Autosteve

Take the flipper board out.

Almost guarantee that the pins on the back of the board have cracked solder joints.

That should sort out that.

If the flipper is weak and slow with no power , then it sounds like it’s got no one shot 50v and only 9v hold power.

Which points to the flipper board 50v pin for that flipper.

A broken diode would hold the flipper stuck on in the up position.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks lads. I’ll have another look.

My playfield doesn’t have the little metal loop/hook on the bottom to be held upright with the rubber strap, so I’ve gotta sort that out so I can work on the thing too..

Here’s a pic of the back of the flipper board. Looks to me like the fuse clips have been replaced recently & that they’re all in good nick?? Let me know your thoughts (sorry about the rubbish photo):

IMG_7146.thumb.JPG.43d911934d6511a88800fd9977f290fd.JPG

The lower flippers both measure about 6.6V when holding up (not the 9V suggested by @Dedrok). Even if the flipper doesn’t go all the way up, this voltage is still shown.

If i give the flipper a little encouragement, it flips all the way up and holds nicely (& the L2 LED flicks on correctly)

I also tried swapping a few fuses around on the flipper board - this didn't seem to make any difference though. I also noticed that the right flipper did show the same issue once or twice (before I swapped fuses) tonight... Which seems weird..

I also saw this in Data East's service bulletin #53 :

247870270_2018-04-0422_44_12-sb53.pdf-AdobeAcrobatReaderDC.png.335afba66972e90a8b9ca1c9d98283de.png

Is that suggesting temporarily solder a wire between the EOS solder points? Has anyone actually tried this?

Edited by thesav
Added DE SB53 detail

Normally data easy don’t use the EOS as the flipper board does the work.

EOS was Normally Open.

If the EOS is normally closed , Grab a screwdriver and hold the EOS closed then press the flipper button

Games like LAH and those with a kickback would have problems with the flipper dying when hit at speed.

Edit

Ok. I just looked and saw that it’s JP.

Most likely NC and is EOS not closed with enough pressure. Needs clean and adjusted

Edit

Just looked at the pics. Push on the EOS and try.

Seems like it was an EOS thing.. now I’m up and running again. Thanks everyone.

My lefty still seems a little weak though, any suggestions on how to accurately adjust the EOS to both make sure this doesn’t happen again and to get max power out of the flipper?

Thanks - the last 45 mins of gameplay has been great ;)

P.S. Both EOS on this machine look brand new (tho everything else is filthy, so it’s probably not a fair comparison..), Is it normal for a new EOS to need adjusting/cleaning?

Both EOS on this machine look brand new (tho everything else is filthy, so it’s probably not a fair comparison..), Is it normal for a new EOS to need adjusting/cleaning?

In my experience yes, every installation for EOS switches has slightly different angles and therefore they need adjusting to suit.

The short blade should be adjusted such that the switch opens only right at the very end of the travel of the pawl.

The long blade should be adjusted so that as it closes the switch blade pages far enough that the contacts slightly wipe each other.

The advice to read vid's guide is a good idea.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers?tu=vid1900

Oh yes vids guides, I forgot about those. I’ll get on to that over the weekend.

Certainly sounds like there’s an art to adjusting these.

Thanks lads

You really just need both blades to move as it opens. That means it has enough pressure.

If the short blade has no movement then there’s probably not enough pressure on contact.

If the short blade has no movement then there’s probably not enough pressure on contact.

Oh, that pretty much describes my flipper perfectly.. that’s a great explanation for a newbie like me, thanks very much!

And when you are testing the EOS switch, do it by pushing in the plunger and letting the spring pull the pawl back freely. If there is wear in the pawl and it is lose your adjustment won’t be accurate. I burnt out a coil this way.