Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New tournament format - feedback?

I see others are exploring new formats and would like some feedback on this one. Thinking of running a trial of it at my home next month if there is interest. The main aim is to introduce new players to competition pinball with less intimidation or early elimination.

There are teams of 3 players.

Each team is made up of 1 ranked player (there can be a cut off if you like, say in the top 200 Australian ranks), 1 new player (no IFPA number or minimal comp experience) and 1 junior (ideally, if not, another new player).

Each team plays a 3 player game and their scores added together. Coaching is strictly encouraged (these are not IFPA endorsed events). Same 4 games in total are played by each team.

Scores can then give a rank to each team. Highest ranked team gets the choice of each game in the finals. Games are played as head to head 2 player play off matches (ie 2 ranked players, then 2 new players, then 2 juniors against each other). Matches can be assigned at random or via ranking. 2 out of 3 wins go through to the next round.

Finals played until 2 teams remain, and the winner decided. Ranked player plays last each time and continues to coach/encourage, and may play 3’rd game even if they are down 2-0 or skip it.

Each team is responsible for their own formation prior rather than hope to be fouled in the day.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a fun format.

The new guys will learn more playing together with a good player than they ever will watching videos etc.

And the no whoppers will encourage the good guys to help out the new guys.

You just need to come up with a name that conveys the concept to anyone looking at a Facebook post etc.

rd

Really nice idea!

I especially like the coaching aspect. It's often totally non-obvious to someone who is new what to do. And, even if they know the machine, the tournament strategy for it might be very different from how one would normally play it.

If we want more new people to pick up competitive pinball, we not only need to encourage new people, but had better do something to keep them coming back. The best way to do that is to give them some successes, and this coaching idea is right in the groove for that!

Michi.

Sounds like a fun format.

The new guys will learn more playing together with a good player than they ever will watching videos etc.

And the no whoppers will encourage the good guys to help out the new guys.

You just need to come up with a name that conveys the concept to anyone looking at a Facebook post etc.

rd

Maybe Tag Team Pinball? Or Relay Pinball as you pass the “baton” onto the next player during the finals.

Related tangent, where's the line on coaching? IE I helped another player once, between games, because he didn't know what lane change was.

I've always figured explaining the features of a game was ok, but when to utilise said features wasn't.

Eg telling someone "the jackpot is the left ramp" before they start playing vs "now shoot the left left ramp"

Looks like I have clearance to host the test comp on Saturday 22 September. I hope to start around 4 for the qualifying rounds, then put some stuff in the BBQ for dinner around 6:30 and finals after that. I’m not sure of the level of interest, but probably keep it to around 6 teams maximum at this point. Emily will play as experienced player and will invite some friends as juniors if needed by teams. I feel this is a great opportunity to get wife’s/husbands/ family’s involved, so if you can make up a 3 person team post here and I’ll make up the list. You need a cool team name too!

I intend to use Wizard of Oz, Harlem Globetrotters, twilight zone and Johnny Mnemonic for the games. LOTR, GOT, time warp are there for fun if you want to use them too.

So with Emily’s team and my team, we have 4 spots up for grabs. Get a team in ASAP and we will see how it runs. $20 per team for trophies and snags.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

My first “Family Feud” pinball comp was held and turned out to be a lot of fun.

For those with limited machine numbers and limited skill, the format is ideal.

6 teams qualified in 3 player games over 4 machines (can be more or less as desired). Ranking then given to each team from this (comparing each player grouping ie experienced, novice, junior).

Finals played as 2 player heads up game against the equivalents. 1st qualifier vs 6th, 2nd vs 5th etc with sudden death best of 3 games.

Qualifying took about 2 hours of very relaxed and casual play. Finals were held after a 1 hour dinner to socialize and “lubricate” the adults and took another 2 hours.

We are going to do this again for sure - it was great for a relaxed competition and to introduce players to a mini tournament. Thanks to everyone who turned up!

0e6e563a213609261a5c2a11ba889195.jpga0cd14d1c5028bedac76632baa47364a.jpgd4d604f4129633acb9f90ccf4a372811.jpg7eb84a087df315f5f954c26d1d833da4.jpg