Thread: Valdis Story and Hollow Knight review

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1415 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buttersoft View Post
    If it's the big baldur, and you're in the temple where the snail shaman just gave you the spell, wait for the big one to spit little rolling baldurs at you, kill them for soul, and the use the fireball spell from a distance while the big baldur has its face exposed.

I know what you mean about samey... but you're about 2% of the way in right now.

EDIT: i mean to say, i felt the same way, the game feels a bit samey. But it really isn't - which is why i said it takes a bit to get started. You might be four or five hours in, and you're still well inside the first area
    Hmmm i don't have any spells at all yet so maybe that's the problem thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)

Ohhh, you're at the guardian to the Greenpath. That's the second area. You need to have the spell from the snail shaman first, which is in the first area near the chaos knight boss you beat, IIRC.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)

The Sequel to Hollow Knight, just got announced. I can't say it looks that different, it just looks more of everything, more animated in every sense. I think the story is going to harken back to when Hornet was stolen away to live with the weavers when she was a child.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1414 Post(s)
    Hollow Knight was just $8 on Switch, so I finally grabbed it. Jesus, can't believe I waited so long, this game is phenomenal. Beaten four bosses and the map is ever expanding. Loving every minute of it.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namastepat View Post
    Hollow Knight was just $8 on Switch, so I finally grabbed it. Jesus, can't believe I waited so long, this game is phenomenal. Beaten four bosses and the map is ever expanding. Loving every minute of it.
    That's what i wanted to hear I feel like it's one of those games that if only people would try it...! Team Cherry are totally rolling in it now though, it sold like 2.5 million copies.

There 's so much to like about it though. I love the way it chose to tell it’s story not as a narrative in cut scenes but in the fragments of things left behind and the hangups of the ghosts left in the ruins. I also love the fact you can totally fall through area after area and end up in the deepnest long before you’re really meant to, winding up all alone in the dark having to fight your way back up with no upgrades and no charms. I haven't been so frightened in a game since the Day Z alpha, and that was a totally different experience.

I will say that it's so enjoyable and easy to get into, but ends up becoming the hardest game I’ve ever imagined someone making, possibly excluding hyper hexagon on hyper hegagonnest difficulty. The later challenges on the path of pain are something I can never hope to be good enough to beat. But that's hidden and completely optional.

If you like it, allow me to strongly re-recommend Valdis Story as well. The skill-cancel dash mechanic in that game has to be experienced to be believed - just don't bind it to a button, let it default to the stick And people are saying good things about the recently-released Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night - the kickstarter game from Koji Igarashi of SoTN fame. I have it, but haven't played it yet.
    Last edited by buttersoft; 28th June 2019 at 09:57 AM.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1414 Post(s)
    I am in Deepnest right now. Just got the tram pass, so I can finally unlock the tram stations. I have upgraded my nail twice, and have dash, floor smash and wall jump upgrades. I've killed many bosses and a bunch of ghost challenges that give me essence. I am close to the 700 essence upgrade and am fighting the Deepnest ghost to get there. He's killed me 3 times now, pain in the ass.

The only thing that shits me is the amount of backtracking I am doing. I am not using a guide of any kind and this game is stupidly large. I spend hours just running around to places on my map that are dead ends, to see if it's the right dead end for me to access. I need to start taking notes when I get to a spot I can't traverse and writing down specifically what I need to get past it. A bench to bench fast travel mechanic would be the best thing this game could introduce. Running between stag stations is a pain, as is finding them in the first place.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namastepat View Post
    The only thing that shits me is the amount of backtracking I am doing. I am not using a guide of any kind and this game is stupidly large. I spend hours just running around to places on my map that are dead ends, to see if it's the right dead end for me to access. I need to start taking notes when I get to a spot I can't traverse and writing down specifically what I need to get past it. A bench to bench fast travel mechanic would be the best thing this game could introduce. Running between stag stations is a pain, as is finding them in the first place.
    I can't completely disagree with those sentiments. I've always dreamed of a metroidvania with a truly massive open map that still feels meaningful, not just large for the sake of it, and Hollow Knight is the best i've seen in that regard. Personally i like getting lost and i quite like backtracking, they're features of the genre, though I do hit my limits occasionally. I reckon they designed this one to be played half with a guide, because at least half the people who play will use one at some point I think i did to find the flukemarm, because i wanted the flukenest charm, which is totally baller. I did also take a good load of notes though, keyed to the different colours of map marker you can buy.

Which one is the Deepnest ghost, what's it's name? EDIT: Oh, him, with the scythe and the balls bouncing around. Yeah, i had to have a few cracks at him. I find most of the fallen warrior ghosts pretty fun though.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1414 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buttersoft View Post
    I can't completely disagree with those sentiments. I've always dreamed of a metroidvania with a truly massive open map that still feels meaningful, not just large for the sake of it, and Hollow Knight is the best i've seen in that regard. Personally i like getting lost and i quite like backtracking, they're features of the genre, though I do hit my limits occasionally. I reckon they designed this one to be played half with a guide, because at least half the people who play will use one at some point I think i did to find the flukemarm, because i wanted the flukenest charm, which is totally baller. I did also take a good load of notes though, keyed to the different colours of map marker you can buy.

Which one is the Deepnest ghost, what's it's name? EDIT: Oh, him, with the scythe and the balls bouncing around. Yeah, i had to have a few cracks at him. I find most of the fallen warrior ghosts pretty fun though.
    Yeah, the scythe guy. He's the most annoying ghost I have fought so far. I really need to beat him to get the 700 essence upgrade, so I will have another few cracks tonight. I got a lot closer on my third try, he had two orange balls as well as the scythe, so I think I had him at his final form. After that, I will hit up the trams and see where they take me. I also stumbled across the Flukenest yesterday, really piss easy boss. I just ended up in the room and was like, oh, a boss fight. Beat him on my first try. Don't like the charm though. I use the rotating shield charm and the compass charm mainly. That rotating shield has saved my ass so many times.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)

@namastepat how are you getting on with Hollow Knight?

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1414 Post(s)
    82% completion, unlocked the final boss, but have yet to fight him. Just kind of dicking around a bit now. I will use a guide to get the rest of the charms, I have only unlocked around 65% of them currently. I will also need to beat the Grand Troupe DLC boss and beat the third level of the Colosseum of Fools.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information