Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Nintendo Zapper on a projector

Hi all :)

This topic seems to have a lot of incorrect information about it around the internet, so i thought id make a video to show it working.

I have just recently completed the RGB mod on my NES top loader, and Tim Worthington has done a f***en awesome job with that kit. The image quality is beyond perfect, no noise, perfect colour, crystal clear and razor sharp.

Ok so further update on this, i tried a couple more NES Zapper games, Hogan's Alley works fine, but Operation Wolf does not work, it seems to work different to other Zapper games and i did not notice boxes around enemies when shooting, probably because there is a few enemies on screen at once, i never managed to hit a single thing.

I would put this down to line doubling affecting scan timing, which is the same reason other standard 15.7kHz gun games dont work after any scaling takes place. Dreamcast guns dont have an issue if the VGA box is used, because the system is seeing the timing on screen it expects.

If i use my NEC XG projector, all guns work on that because no scaling is needed. Just a pain in the arse that my room is not big enough to have a gaming projector and a cinema as well!

Hogan's Alley and all modes of Duck Hunt were perfect, even from 5 meters away from the screen.

So regular run of the mill Zapper games will work even if there is fast scaling involved, so theoretically these should work on a forced-line doubled TV, if game mode is used. Im yet to test that, i have a few sets that i can drag out for testing.