Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Getting overseas nuisance calls on mobile

I've been getting calls from O/S that do one ring and that's it. It really is giving me the shits. Usually in the evening and onwards.

It only rings once - twice occasionally.

I've been, out of curiousity using google to see where the codes come from and have various nations in Africa, yes including Nigeria. Lots of eastern Bloc countries like Bosnia/herkosevia?

Tonights choice is +225 which is Ivory Coast.

I've been blocking then deleting.

Has anybody else had this problem and what do I do??

Yeap :)

The new current scam is to ring you for a missed call, so you ring back. That call costs you a fortune per minute.

I now never answer an unknown number and imminently block it, so it does not ring again at 2am :(

It amuses me enough to go and hunt out where the calls come from and say to the wife "lets go there?". each time she says hell. no. Ivory coast - no way Jose'

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, had 2 calls last night from Kiribati.

Now Kirbati looks nice, I could do that. Hey Jann, how about this one:)

Once upon a time there was a man.

He was most vexed by calls from telemarketers.

So, being a telephone system programmer, he made a system that prompted the telemarketers for information.

The man realised that this didn't really work because the telemarketers realised they were talking to a machine and hung up.

Thus, he laboured day and night to create The Jolly Roger Telephone Company. A maze of random IVR prompts and stories that interacts with the telemarketers and wastes their time. It also records them and allows for the upload of particularly good material to to the internet.

For an example, have a listen to how "Sally" gets a telemarketer to help her use her remote: http://www.jollyrogertelco.com/

There's also instructions for how to forward calls to the Jolly Roger Telephone Company.

Heaps more calls here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3OxCWLEmoIhNMm-hnvBm9Q

- - - Updated - - -

I was paraphrasing. If you'd like to know more, here's Roger Anderson, founder of JRTC, giving a TED talk:

I have never had nuisance calls on my mobile except for Telstra business trying to get me to upgrade plans, etc. But over the years, I have had nuisance calls from unknown persons on the home phone. That's when I really can unleash, when the bastards call me at home. I either go one of three ways, depending on my mood at the time:

1) just say "No English" with an accent of course and they will eventually hang up.

or

2) be pleasant and state they have called me at a time that is obviously inconvenient and I respectfully ask for their number so I can call them back at a time that suits me - they say no and hang up.

or

3) just a tirade of swearing and abuse stating they are nothing but ........................ (you get the picture I'm sure) - then they hang up.

I do have my mobile and home phone numbers on the 'Do Not Call Register' and I reckon this has helped for sure, compared to what it was like before I did this.

I would like to do this one day:

Yes Glenn, I've had those too and I usually tell whoever that the wife left me for the postman. Seem to work for awhile.

Anyhoo, back to the mobile scenario. Is there a way to stop it like changing SIM cards????

Yes Glenn, I've had those too and I usually tell whoever that the wife left me for the postman. Seem to work for awhile.

Anyhoo, back to the mobile scenario. Is there a way to stop it like changing SIM cards????

Ha ha. To be honest Jeff, I don't know. Changing SIM cards would obviously work for a while but I imagine that will change your number too. I would call your service provider and get some advice. Surely they would offer a solution.

Ha ha. To be honest Jeff, I don't know. Changing SIM cards would obviously work for a while but I imagine that will change your number too. I would call your service provider and get some advice. Surely they would offer a solution.

"Surely they would offer a solution" I'd like to think that but I've had minimal customer satisfaction from any telecommunications company.

"Surely they would offer a solution" I'd like to think that but I've had minimal customer satisfaction from any telecommunications company.

Yes I know what you mean. Last resort - new SIM card and new mobile number............until it happens again. Unfortunately technology has allowed this to happen.