Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Australian Championship Series Final, 15-17 February 2019, Canberra

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’ve been reading through a lot of the discussion here about the event and am chiming in with my outsider perspective, if anyone cares to hear it. (Feel free to ignore the American.)

Coming into the Aussie pinball community, specifically in Brisbane, was such a wonderful experience. Seeing this hobby really blossom there and how warmly everyone embraces it reminds me of why I love pinball.

The boom in one state and others feeling a bit shorted is something that’s quite familiar. Areas like Portland and Seattle are absolutely spoiled with machines on location (both with over 700 pins each in bars and arcades) and local comps (Seattle has 9-10 events each week). Then there are states here with no IFPA presence or representation at Nationals - this could be due to lack of access, number of locations, few events, etc.

You see local players that never travel to big events ranked highly in their state, but not nationally. Likewise, you see players that hit the big comps with low local rankings.

As the scene grows and the event evolves, it seems like you have a lot of options and different opportunities. You could pull a mix of national rankings and then have a “wildcard” style where those ranked highest per region are also included in the pool.

Here, each state holds a championship (this coming weekend, actually) of their top 16 players (or 24 players for “superstates”). The winner from each state then goes on to compete in Nationals (held the last weekend in March). This timeframe gives people plenty of time to budget and make travel plans. I completely understand the difficulty in scheduling events without stepping on the toes of other events, but it’s bound to happen more and more as the hobby grows.

I’m definitely rambling now. Short version, this seems like a chance to talk about the event in a constructive way without the negativity and help shape it moving forward. I’m beyond excited to be a part of it and cannot wait to see you all there.

Thanks for all of the hard work organizing the event, everyone! Directing is not always easy. You’re appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Thanks Jessica @Twazu for taking the time to post your observation and perspective not only on the US scene but also here down under.

Pinball tournaments are forever evolving and so too the ACS. The main goal has always been to establish this national tournament and then one day have state tournaments feed into it. It is only one of many main events on the circuit calendar and will never be everything to all, especially if they have certain expectations.

Like most things it takes time and commitment. Usually from a select few who will put their hands up to assist in whatever capacity or ability to help grow pinball and events. Running the ACS, as those who have helped host it in the past would know, is not always an easy thing to coordinate the whole event so that we ensure we include everyone entitled to attend. It's not up to one individual but usually a few people to ensure it is managed as well as can be. Trying to have them all working together in sync and communicating effectively to ensure a smooth running process and event can he easier said than done. But each year it has been getting bigger and better because of the hosts and the players attending.

That's why when I see people post negatively, without thinking first, been part of that process, or worse been part of the problem, I get a little disappointed. Some of these people should know better. By intentionally trying to harass or intimidate players or organisers publicly is poor form. The players have earned the right to compete and if they have followed the official process then that is that.

Communication is a good tool if people use it effectively. There is also a formal process that if we at Ausifpa receive an official complaint about a players behaviour, how an event was run or anything else a person feels concerned about to email us with evidence, we will investigate it.

The organisers this year are working hard to ensure that all players who attend the IFPA ACS will enjoy the weekend. We are so fortunate to be having it held in our nations capital this year as it moves from state to state (or territory) each year if feasible. It's about being inclusive and fair.

Also, a big thank you to AMD who have once again come out to proudly sponsor this great event. It is wonderful the support AMD offer sponsoring pinball events and the service they provide as well to the pinball community and those just getting into pinball. Please make sure that you all acknowledge the commitment and support they happily offer.

As @Michi earlier posted his views on the ACS, if others have constructive feedback and opinions on the future of the ACS, please continue the discussion. Maybe start a new thread about it if you feel so passionate about wanting to change aspects of it or feel it could be better run. No one has ever emailed us with proposals or ideas to change things or offer their assistance in the past.

I'll say it again, the majority of players attending this year were quick to respond and register compared to previous years which had a smaller field. It took about a week. We normally will wait until all results have been submitted before sending out the official email. You all know the end of the year is a hectic time because of festivities and holidays. I had to suddenly go overseas as well and, while travelling sending emails to everyone on a mobile phone is not an easy task. Having to retrieve email addresses and communicating with Luke and other people on different time periods while constantly travelling. Regardless how long it takes or when it happens, there will always be a very small few who will be disappointed about something. You will never be able to please everyone.

My role as IFPA Country Director has always been to ensure that pinball continues to grow and advance in Australia and around the world fairly, honestly and competitively with the many other people who actively support and contribute in it's growth as well. Again, if you feel you can do a better job, then email either the IFPA (Josh) and/or us here at AUSIFPA.

Sorry Greg for dragging this out or to anyone that thinks I am being a C--T thinking that I am self entitled... Its purely based on the fact that I want to go but am/was not sure if I can/could

Never suggested you were, Richard, bad luck abt the job. The only message I am pushing is that the schedule should be released early so we can all make plans.

I am very appreciative of all the hard work the ACS directors put in, Dan & Luke included.

If someone is going to pull out let us know early, please.

We are pleased to announce that the cash prize pool for the main ACS competition this year will be $4,000!! Thanks to AMD as the primary sponsors and contributors to this.

As well as this, we will also have trophies for the top 3 finishers, medals for the top 16 finalists, and a free t-shirt for all 48 qualifiers!

In true Canberran democratic style, we will be holding a silent poll of the top 48 qualifiers on the Saturday to determine how the $4,000 will be split between finishers.

We've also organised trophies for the Mini Competition, Group Knockout and Team Competitions, so plenty of silverware to be taking home ;) - as well as cash prizes for the other comps too!

T-shirt design is just being finished up, and these will also be on sale on the competition weekend.

Below are the three pools for the Pool Stage of the ACS on the Saturday, seeded according to the ACS qualifying standings. These are subject to change in the event of any late withdrawals from the event.

There will be 5 rounds, with 3 games (one old/mid/new) per round. 7-5-3-1 scoring for each game. Each player will be matched up with each other player in their pool exactly once. The top 5 players from each pool (as well as the best 6th placed finisher) advance to the Elimination Stage on the Sunday.

Pool A:

Jason Lambert

Greg Gee

Michi Henning

Pat Nichols

Travis Bishop

Nigel Grypstra

Michael Costalos

Martin Robbins

Dirk Booy

Grant Stephens

Jessica DeNardo

Stuart Thornton

David Clarke

John Cosson

Kim Dozier

Matthew Owen

Pool B:

Paul Jones

Richard Rhodes

Nicolas Noben

Tony Woods

Mike Pascale

Jacob Paint

Tom Casey

Michael Saunders

Brett Goodwin

Jimmy Nails

Connor Stowe

Ryan Cee

Andre Thomson

Simon Peel

Paul Carter

Lou Martire

Pool C:

Peter Watt

Gino Thimios

Grant Quinn

Chris Wade

Luke Marburg

Thibaut Allender

Rob Milla

Jonathan Chabowski

Tim Chapman

Gavin Drogemuller

Ted Woods

Stacey Borg

Michael McMinn

Hugh Dickson

Tim Walle

Marcus Sezonov

Here is the current pool of machines for the entire weekend. Note there are still more to add, and a subset of these machines will be used specifically for the ACS.

New

AC/DC Premium

AC/DC Pro

Aerosmith Pro

Beatles Gold

Ghostbusters Premium

Guardians of the Galaxy LE

Iron Maiden LE

Iron Maiden Premium

Metallica Premium

Star Trek Premium

Tron LE

Mid

Addams Family

Creature from the Black Lagoon

Doctor Who

Guns n Roses

Terminator 2

White Water

Who Dunnit

World Cup Soccer

Old

Joker Poker (SS)

Pinball (Stern SS)

Space Shuttle

Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom

Pool C is without a doubt the finest...

Pool C:

Peter Watt

Gino Thimios

Grant Quinn

Chris Wade

Luke Marburg

Thibaut Allender

Rob Milla

Jonathan Chabowski

Tim Chapman

Gavin Drogemuller

Ted Woods

Stacey Borg

Michael McMinn

Hugh Dickson

Tim Walle

Marcus Sezonov

Group B is a killer.

Can I get some of my results invalidated so I can go into another other group. Pretty sure someone agreed to play a bunch of 1 ball games so please rate whatever you need to 1/3rd of the TGP. Thanks

Australian Championship Series Final, 15-17 February 2019, Canberra

Sorry, but this is too fukn depressing reading this thread, i’m unfollowing it. Somebody PM me if someone pulls out. Have an awesome tournament, boys and girls. Peace out.

Sorry, but this is too fukn depressing reading this thread, i’m unfollowing it. Somebody PM me if someone pulls out. Have an awesome tournament, boys and girls. Peace out.

Carn Greg... Just come anyway.

There's plenty of other comps fr the weekend, plenty of friends, plenty of pins, and always the chance someone will have to miss the main.

Cheers,

G

Well no, it's not just Richard. Pinburgh puts all DMD-era (and later) machines into its "new" category. The IFPA WC usually does too, though this is dependant on game availability.

Personally, I think it's a stretch to call machines that were released a quarter of a century ago "new".

Well no, it's not just Richard. Pinburgh puts all DMD-era (and later) machines into its "new" category. The IFPA WC usually does too, though this is dependant on game availability.

Personally, I think it's a stretch to call machines that were released a quarter of a century ago "new".

They ain't "new" but they are new ;)