Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Australian Championship Series Final, 15-17 February 2019, Canberra

Very happy to confirm I am in for all comps. Can’t wait to see your faces, friends!

Related, is anyone driving from Sydney that may have room for two more bodies? Connor is flying over, as well and it’s much more affordable for us to fly into Sydney.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are in the top 48 then OK you will know if your going or not. If you are not and really want/ed to go then you should have played more events to ensure that you would be in the top 48. Being outside the top 48 and getting in is a bonus.

People in the top 48 should have let organisers know if they are going by now.

I laughed when I read "If you are not and really want/ed to go then you should have played more events to ensure that you would be in the top 48" - Just checked and if you wanted to make it and you lived in NSW, even if you played in EVERY comp in NSW last year and won ALL OF THEM - you would have qualified in 57th :) Lots of travelling needed for those in NSW.

OR people in NSW could support the comps that @gomeroz is putting on at Frankies Pizza and other venues around Sydney.

People in the top 48 should have let organisers know if they are going by now.

I laughed when I read "If you are not and really want/ed to go then you should have played more events to ensure that you would be in the top 48" - Just checked and if you wanted to make it and you lived in NSW, even if you played in EVERY comp in NSW last year and won ALL OF THEM - you would have qualified in 57th :) Lots of travelling needed for those in NSW.

OR people in NSW could support the comps that @gomeroz is putting on at Frankies Pizza and other venues around Sydney.

The point I am trying to make is dont blow up at all those involving saying you have the RIGHT to go... If your like 60th (last year was top 32 btw) and your going off cos you expect to play in the ACS due to there being bugger all events where you reside, bad fukn luck. Sure things are bad in NSW but PJ didnt have a problem making it to no1? Maybe because he put more effort in? 10% of participants are from SA (same as NSW), are they blowing up? Yet we got people blowing up that are happy to travel from interstate for this event but wont go to the masters/NZ/Melb etc etc. FYI Melbourne has bugger all points as well from the league events.. Sure peoples lifestyles and schedules with work are issues but, but if you really wanted to travel interstate to play this event, then you would have made the effort to travel interstate to play other events. Next people are going to blow up about not having the opportunity to not go to the IFPA? A trip to the brisbane Masters (like most who are keen to play in the ACS) would have certainly helped to get in the top 48.

I agree that the timing of this event needs to be changed btw. And the schedule of events could have been put out months in advance to allow those to book motels and plan flights etc.

Edited by RGR

LOL @JAR

I agree with Richard...well said on all points. Get more comps running in your state and/or travel. 2017 I went Townsville, Adelaide, Melbourne, Newcastle Brisbane (It's a over an hour drive :P). Loved it, not just for the points and catch up with the regular travellers.

Whilst I agree that anyone below cut off should treat the opportunity as a bonus, surely everyone above the cut off still wants to play a tournament with the maximum number of participants (48) right? Interesting that RGR calls for a bit more organisation, earlier access to schedule, etc but surely one of those things would be a cut off date for confirmation of attendance?

Just a little funny coming from the one player yet to confirm with Dan / Luke.

For the record, I really hope you’re coming by the way. Love watching you play and always keen for the toughest match ups possible.

Whilst I agree that anyone below cut off should treat the opportunity as a bonus, surely everyone above the cut off still wants to play a tournament with the maximum number of participants (48) right? Interesting that RGR calls for a bit more organisation, earlier access to schedule, etc but surely one of those things would be a cut off date for confirmation of attendance?

Just a little funny coming from the one player yet to confirm with Dan / Luke.

For the record, I really hope you’re coming by the way. Love watching you play and always keen for the toughest match ups possible.

I have to wait to find out about a job that I am applying for. If I get it the I can't go.. Either way I earned the right to make that decision and my opinion would not have changed if I was already registered.

Personally I am not fussed about finding out the schedule early, just lookikg out for others. Based in previous interstate comps it's get in Friday Arvo and leave Sunday night with 2 nights accom. The dates were confirmed 6 months ago along with the venue.

Btw if a cutoff date comes in sure I am all for it. If I could not have confirmed by that date then bad luck to me.

In addition I could have confirmed weeks ago but then could have pulled out allowing somone else to go so whats the difference? I could pay up now and in 2 weeks say that I can't go.. Which is worse?

Come on GCT - we dont really do the "retaliate/attack/comment" on individuals on this forum - that's more a Pinside thing. If you want to point out a persons failings or have opinions on them, take it to them personally face to face, not on a forum like this, especially where we all know and respect each other.

You’re definitely right John and I shouldn’t have bitten. First time round I did try and point out the hypocrisy of asking for more organisation and structure as gently as possible and got a silly self entitled response. I’ll remove the analogy.

Put it simply this event could be orgainsed to eliminate any future arguments if which I personally don't agree with.. Getting along with each other is critical in a hobby as small as ours. Last thing we need which has become more prevalent of late is people getting personal with each other on the forums and at events, but thats always going to happen the bigger things get.

Can I just say, helping manage most of these events for so many years now and having to personally chase up most of the players so that everyone entitled gets the opportunity to attend, there are always a select few who either won't respond, take several attempts before they respond or even worse. The majority respond very quickly or are very good with communication.

The email will normally go out the first week in January. We have to wait for all events at the end of the year to be submitted and entered as they count towards the rankings. Some results come in last minute and many people are away or going on leave. It doesn't normally take long to get a response back from most once the email has gone out. If I have them on file. I thank the people who get in touch with me or help me get those emails so I can contact those I don't have quickly.

This year, with 16 extra spots available, the positions filled up pretty quickly. Luke and I have been very impressed with how many of the Top 48 have accepted the invitation. It has been an awesome response compared to previous years with only 32 positions available.

The ASC was originally brought about to run simultaneously with the rest of the Championship Series around the world. That has slightly changed with other countries dates changing, but most are early in the new year as they reflect last years rankings.

Luke and I have talked about changing the date in the past, as we have of increasing the player limit. With so many events now on the calendar and Pincade so close it becomes harder and harder to find a more suitable date. Maybe it's a discussion that should continue as this event continues to grow and become even more relevant with future planned growth.

Sure things are bad in NSW but PJ didnt have a problem making it to no1? Maybe because he put more effort in?

I think it also might be related to the fact the PJ gets about twice the number of points that I do in about 1/5th of the number of events ;)

It really comes down to a handful of things:

Availability of machines

If I live in Toowoomba, or Hervey Bay, or Darwin, I'm just plain out of luck. I have to travel long distances to make any event at all, let alone a large one. Staging a reasonably large tournament requires something well over $100,000 in terms of machines alone. For large tournaments, we are into the multi-hundred thousand dollar range. There simply aren't that many machines in most places.

Tournament directors

Without TDs, there are no IFPA tournaments, end of story. It takes a huge amount of commitment, effort, and time to be a TD. All for a warm handshake, when it comes down it. Not surprisingly, not that many people are willing to go through the pain of being a TD, no matter how much they love playing pinball. (Not to mention the endless complaints they get to listen to for their efforts.)

Time

If I don't have the time to compete, I can't accumulate points. The way the WPPR system is set up, enthusiasm is rewarded a lot. I'm in the top ten for the season not because I'm one of the top ten players, but because I happen to live in a place where I can attend lots of high-value events without incurring huge time commitments, so I can give myself a lot more chances to try and get points. (Yes, eventually, I do get lucky because (at least for some tournament formats), the luck of the draw is massively important.)

Money

If can't afford to pay for the entry fee, or can't afford to travel to wherever an event is, I can't earn the points, no matter how good a player I am.

Luck

In South-east Queensland, we are lucky on two counts. We have quite a few venues with lots of machines, and those venues are willing to accommodate tournaments. And we have quite a few people who are active tournament directors, so there are lots of tournaments.

The biggest problem I have here is deciding which tournaments not to go to, because there are simply too many.

I'm lucky because I happen to live here instead of a place with no machines and/or TDs.

In the end, it comes down to time and money. If I have lots of time, I can spend it on pinball. If I have lots of money, I can spend it on travel, accommodation, and tournament fees. The wealthy (not just in pinball, but in any sport) always do better than the poor because they can afford to buy themselves more chances. (What else is new?)

If anyone thinks that the ACS standings are representative of skill, think again. The rankings reflect the five points above far more than skill. If you are not convinced, take a good look at the ACS rankings or the Australian rankings and check the names of the people below you. For me personally, I know that there are at least ten or twenty people below me in the rankings who will wipe the floor with me in a tournament.

All this means that talking about Queensland versus New South Wales (or any variation of the state theme) is inappropriate. It's meaningless, given the non-level playfield.

Michi.

- - - Updated - - -

Luke and I have talked about changing the date in the past, as we have of increasing the player limit. With so many events now on the calendar and Pincade so close it becomes harder and harder to find a more suitable date.

For the sake of the people just below the cut line, I would recommend to move the event to March, and to require a firm commitment by end of January from the people who are eligible. That would allow the people who depend on others above them to pull out to still make arrangements.

Michi.

Analyse it all you want Michi. Come comp time, the players who made the cut get to play. And most are the top ranked players competing. :023:

- - - Updated - - -

For the sake of the people just below the cut line, I would recommend to move the event to March, and to require a firm commitment by end of January from the people who are eligible. That would allow the people who depend on others above them to pull out to still make arrangements.

Michi.

It's mid January and in about a week we pretty much have the Top 48. The majority of players accepted the invite. Two are coming from the US.

I am going to the ACS and am happy to play the outside events.

Although i would love the opportunity to be in the top 48 i realise living out in woop woop that will probably not happen

and i am totally cool with that. I just enjoy catching up with the fellow pinball community who i only get to see a few times

a year and getting away from work to play pinball for days and hours straight where i don't get to here in Wagga Wagga.

I will be travelling to NZ for my 9th Pincade in a row.

I guess what i am saying is although the comps and rankings are great, for me the best part is catching up with great pinball people

who i only get to see a few times a year. Alot of you are so lucky to have more than just your own pinball collection at home to play on.

Cheers and looking forward to this comp.

Thanks to the organisers for their time and efforts.

I

Personally I am not fussed about finding out the schedule early, just lookikg out for others. Based in previous interstate comps it's get in Friday Arvo and leave Sunday night with 2 nights accom. The dates were confirmed 6 months ago along with the venue.

It was 3 events with no schedule up until end of dec. I am not buying plane tickets based on that degree of uncertainty. The last flight out of canberra to adelaide is 7:15pm via sydney so if the last event finished at 6:00 i would be screwed.

The ACS finals should be done by 2pm on Sunday. Unfortunately you may need to miss the Sunday arvo flip frenzy, or leave it early (thankfully for you people like me will be playing, which means even if you only flip frenzily for an hour, you’ll probably still rank higher than me at the end of the comp!!) 😬

That being said...flip frenzy on Sunday will be done by 5pm - heaps of time to get to the airport for a 7pm flight

Edited by ladybug
More info

It was 3 events with no schedule up until end of dec. I am not buying plane tickets based on that degree of uncertainty. The last flight out of canberra to adelaide is 7:15pm via sydney so if the last event finished at 6:00 i would be screwed.

I personally believe that the organisers based on prior events would have taken this into consideration would not have risked the finals going past 5pm. Sure you might have missed other side events but it would have been worth it to book cheaper flights.

FYI to anyone that gives a shit, I emailed Dan back on the 12th letting him know my situation and was fully prepared to accept any deadlines they gave/ have given me. Sorry Greg for dragging this out or to anyone that thinks I am being a C--T thinking that I am self entitled... Its purely based on the fact that I want to go but am/was not sure if I can/could.

Michi yes I am aware that Paul played his way to no1, however I was trying to make the point that he is happy to travel to play.

I was in exactly the same boat, not knowing whether I'd have to fly out Sunday evening or on Monday. Big difference.

Getting the start and end times well in advance is really important for interstate people.

Michi.

Come comp time, the players who made the cut get to play. And most are the top ranked players competing. :023:

Right, that's as it should be. I simply pointed out that looking at the ranking does not tell a story about skill. I can't just look at the rankings and conclude that, because Michi Henning is #7 and Marco Rossignoli is #70, Michi is a much better player than Marco. (It very clearly is the other way around.)

I'm not complaining about that. It's simply how the system is set up, and I don't think it's possible to come up with a "fairer" system.

It's mid January and in about a week we pretty much have the Top 48. The majority of players accepted the invite. Two are coming from the US.

Sure. But people on the cusp of qualifying didn't find out until this week, so getting the tournament times and player confirmations earlier (or, better, having the tournament later) would make it easier for those people. For myself, without any doubt about whether I qualified, it was still difficult. I didn't find out about the times until early January, by which time flights already were very expensive.

The official invitation email didn't reach me until 9 January. That's too close to the tournament, which is why I've kept saying for the past two years that running the tournament in March would be better. (Yes, I do understand that the final standings are not known until early January, so it's not possible to send the confirmation any earlier.)

One additional idea: For, say, the top 30 or more, it's possible to know for certain that they have qualified by early December. So, why not require a commitment from those people by, say, mid-December? That would provide an earlier indication as to who won't go and how many other people below the cut line need to be asked.

Or make the entire process pre-emptive: at the beginning of December, ask the top 60 or so to give a firm "will go" or "won't go". That commitment will then stand if they qualify in the final standings.

Cheers,

Michi.